Eyeglow Encounters

I thought it might be worth trying something together for those willing. I don't want to manage this, but I would like to contribute. I think if done well it would have value. I know I want to see such an article: A compilation of as many as possible witnesses to repeated eye shine and/or flash events while researching BFs. I used "repeated" because it sets a limit of sorts to number of contributors, and also to how controlled the circumstances were during the witness, etc. Those who have some photo or video evidence to match most sought. Example: I saw a random YouTUbe, pretty good one, of such eye-shine. The guy went to some trouble to communicate and it was compelling. Who is he? No idea, no history I could see in BFdom...and no where to take such an event for any value added....unless we do something like this?

In the Habituating thread there is discussion among about four or five eye-shine witnesses (and sure whole threads here or old BFF too!), and over the last year or so I have been contacted by several..my total number now of what seem to be similar witness is about 10.......that's a fairly good number for some strange phenomenon often discounted as sensational.

Anyone interested in taking on as editor such a project? We could collectively determine some minimums, or format for write-ups, along with any other way to make this an article worth reading and with some dependability (at a level we can all say goes to maybe....no needless hurdle we can't meet....this is meant to be a working doc..perhaps a hypothesis thrown out for all to consider?) and just inform those who desire such info? Or, is that too much information..it does seem there is a tension between not just "evidence to support this witness" and skeptics, but also researchers desire to keep "specific/telling" evidence under wraps (some for testing others authenticity, some for BF protection, some for competitive advantage?).

As for credit? Well let's put it under a title BFF Witness Discussion Article...lol or something that mundane, and distribute credit to the effort generally? If this is a lame idea (and obviously I don't want the editor task b/c of time..perhaps a board of editors is formed?) now written like that I can see it melting as any town council meeting can..or not! It's up to those who step forward?

Gracias, hope you don't feel too cynical about such an attempt!

Edited by apehuman

This is from the thread mentioned above. From the comments I saw two different things being described. One is eye shine and the other is eye glow. Eye shine is when light passes through the eye of the eye being observed and the light is reflected off the Tapetum lucidum. It is the pupil that is showing the light and since the pupil is usually very large at night, it seems the whole eye is glowing. There also has to be a source of light that the animal is looking directly at. The observer of eye shine has to be in that line of sight. Either the light is between the observer and the eye or the observer is between the light and eye, but they both have to be pretty much lined up in a line. Starlight will not cause eye shine. The full moon might but the observer would have to be up in the air between the moon and eye. Eye glow on the other hand needs no direct source of light. Light appears to be generated by the eye itself. It is not the pupil producing the light as in eye shine, it is the "whites" of the eyes. With eye glow you will see a dark pupil the center of the glowing eye. You should try and make this distinction when you see glowing eyes. Of course if you are very far away you may not be able to make out the dark pupil in eye glow.

A website was contributed by one of the commenters that has a couple pictures of BF eye glow. The website is http://s2.excoboard..../150505/2290536 There are two pictures http://i716.photobuc...damseyeglow.jpg and http://i716.photobuc...seyeglowdrk.jpg

Other items to be mentioned are the color of the eye shine and/or glow.

I have never seen BF eye shine, but I have seen eye glow once, the color was flourescent green.

Eye shine is very common in many animals, but very rare in primates. Eye glow is completely unheard of in the terrestrial biological world.

Edited by OHZoologist

Think of the tapetum lucidum (a layer of cells lining the inside of the eye) as a mirror. When light hits it, it reflects back causing eye shine. This enhances nocturnal vision in animals. The pupil is only a hole in the iris that the light passes through. Eye glow does not exist. There is no part of the eye that produces light.

Think of the tapetum lucidum (a layer of cells lining the inside of the eye) as a mirror. When light hits it, it reflects back causing eye shine. This enhances nocturnal vision in animals. The pupil is only a hole in the iris that the light passes through. Eye glow does not exist. There is no part of the eye that produces light.

As a biologist I fully agree with you. Unfortunately I have experienced it. And others have too. I can't blame you because I would think the same thing if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

BFF Patron

Personally, I will leave it to those who have one hundred percent witnessed eyeglow to determine if it exists just because it does!

As always Jmho

Edited by bipedalist

First, I am not certain what I did witness was sasquatch eye shine, but I definitely consider it . Both times, it was dull red, and on the move, and what appeared to be "blinking", or what ever it was.. moved behind tree branches, that caused the effect I saw.

I've been told, there is No chance i saw anything "glowing", but only reflection from the tapetum lucidum (as snowman737 has already explained).

Question I have. Would reflected starlight on a moonless night (with my own.. already dark adapted eyes) be enough for me to see this "reflection" ?

First, I am not certain what I did witness was sasquatch eye shine, but I definitely consider it . Both times, it was dull red, and on the move, and what appeared to be "blinking", or what ever it was.. moved behind tree branches, that caused the effect I saw.

I've been told, there is No chance i saw anything "glowing", but only reflection from the tapetum lucidum (as snowman737 has already explained).

Question I have. Would reflected starlight on a moonless night (with my own.. already dark adapted eyes) be enough for me to see this "reflection" ?

Read my first comment about line of sight. Starlight will not cause eye shine.

Criminy, every time I hear about eyeglow I imagine that it isn't Bigfoot but rather someone/thing in a ghillie suit with some sort of night vision equipment prowling around the woods for some unknown reason. The Federation observation outposts in Star Trek come to mind then.

Read my first comment about line of sight. Starlight will not cause eye shine.

I read your comment again, and sorry... for not completely understanding it, the first time. You made it very clear.

So... what I witnessed (if indeed from an animal's eye) was eye glow.. that is not heard of in the terrestrial biological world. No wonder.. some of the folks I've explained it to, changed the subject.

I also have witness in an eye glow category, several. And I am OK with assigning a term as OHZoo suggests, that "glow" might be the right word, as my witness also with my eyes well adjusted in darkness and no moon.

That is what is trippy no doubt and why perhaps so little discussed.

It seems rather impossible and yet, I can see here others have witnessed too, and privately about 5 or so have emailed or PM'd. Notably, there is another out there who has seen the "track of light" fall on an object from a BF quite close to him. I had that too.

So, in my mind it would be possible to have "super duper reflectivity" LOL...why not? Why can't they evolve to maximize reflectivity (and even focus/control) and it is just so bright we call it glow? Although why not evolve some bio luminescence too.. I can't say with what I know...given their nightlife...it fits, along with seeing in the near infrared....

Also, at distances I see this expressed as very quick, but noticeable flashes too of which the color seems white (contrast with closer witness and color: amber and blue) ...it seems almost to each other...as these events match either calls, o r some other sense they are there (also habit of location and time)..these flashes are quick bursts and I cannot tell if two light sources or one... The habituating thread has some video links to what I witness.

Thanks guys for posting.. and imonaacan..yeah my experience too...

does anyone have video to accompany...in my case the video is for most part dark, and the eyeshine resolves well...but of course one is sharing a weird video...what they do show however, is what I am seeing when I have been sitting in the dark to adjust my eyes, an hour plus...these are subtle unless eyes adjusted perhaps? Although the video is in black and white because IR sensitive mode.

Edited by apehuman

I've never had an encounter with a BF but do believe that they exist. I also do not doubt what you have seen. Having said all of that, eye glow does not exist in the animal kingdom. I am an optometrist and have had many vision science courses. What I believe is being seen is eye shine from an extremely developed tapetum lucidum. This layer amplifies any available light for the animal's photorecptors and would account for their extremely good night vision. Even a cloudy, dark night would have some light. Think of the tapetum lucidum like a magnifying glass to an ant. The existing light is concentrated.

If this creature's eyes create light, then it would be unique among any animal alive. Physiologically, I have know idea how this would even be possible.

Edited by snowman737

If this creature's eyes create light, then it would be unique among any animal alive. Physiologically, I have know idea how this would even be possible.

Maybe they got it from "Daddy" & he wasn't an animal.....

I've never had an encounter with a BF but do believe that they exist. I also do not doubt what you have seen. Having said all of that, eye glow does not exist in the animal kingdom. I am an optometrist and have had many vision science courses. What I believe is being seen is eye shine from an extremely developed tapetum lucidum. This layer amplifies any available light for the animal's photorecptors and would account for their extremely good night vision. Even a cloudy, dark night would have some light. Think of the tapetum lucidum like a magnifying glass to an ant. The existing light is concentrated.

Thanks..that's my 'super duper reflectivity' nice to read the real words.

I agree b/c the blue event the light had a bluish cast and so must come from the colored iris. does that work?

And the flashes could be control over the function, as can the slow ramping up of the "glow" (sorry!) and ramping down..they can seem to dim..and do on video.

Also, there was a video floating around...http://www.huffingto..._n_1244543.html and the report seems to match what we often hear/report about BFs...sensitivity to light and ability to see in dark..any thoughts..hope it is not a hoax

thanks for links OhZoo.. I will look for the one I mentioned by the random youtuber also...maybe that is the start just collecting as much media along side this?

Edited by apehuman