What Is The Daily Range Of A Bigfoot?

TD-40

I would like to know the range that a bigfoot will travel on any given day? Does anyone have any hypotheses about how many miles they might go out on patrol every day?

For there to be enough of them, I'd suspect their territories are relatively small. I wonder if they even keep territories year-round when not in a family group.

Hypothesis ... I'm not sure what you mean by "on patrol."

Depending on what their food sources are, plant vs animal, I'd guess they could forage, maintain calorie balance, and cover 20 miles or a little more in a day.   If there were some pressing need so food is a lower priority (haul butt now, eat later) probably 100 miles in a day is possible.   That's 10 mph for 10 hours.   If, as some witnesses have reported, they can walk faster than we can run, that should be pretty feasible. 

That's just plucking numbers off a box car though, nobody really knows.

MIB

Swing over to the "How much area does a bigfoot need" thread in the "In the Field" section. I've posted a chart w/home areas and daily ranges for a variety of critters, putting bigfoot on the spectrum at the most likely spot.   

I did not venture a guess on this (and would defer to hunters/biologists in here) but I'd guess they're cabable of rambling a minimum of 15 miles during any given day.  Doing the math,

Average walking (simply lolly-gagging along) speed f/a young, fit human over level clear ground = 3 mph

Average walking speed over rough terrain, trying to move w/some degree of stealth = no more than 2 mph and probably less

A human could probably go 10 hours a day, if pushed; that gives you 20-30 miles

So maybe a better estimate, expecting BF to be able to do a minimum of 2 miles/hour up to 4 mph, for up to 15 hours, is 30-60 miles.

Refer to the Ostmann account for a data point. 

Saw an adult male traverse a ridge north of Pyramid Lake one afternoon in a bee-line for the Pah-Rum mountain cluster.  Comparing its pace to various running paces from my Army days, I'd say that at a relaxed, though deliberate and purposeful stride, it was moving along at a pace corresponding to about an eight and a half minute mile, or seven miles an hour. 

It was clearly going somewhere, moving in a direct line toward a distant goal.  It didn't move right or left at all, as I would have to pick the easiest path while crossing the ridge.  It also was not foraging or looking for anything as it walked.  When it noticed us it slowed its pace slightly and momentarily until it picked out an eroded channel down the side of the ridge directly ahead of it, then resumed its original pace, acted as if it was going to step across the eroded channel, and simply dropped into it midstride as it was directly over it.

JDL (somehow I screwed up the quote function)

".... I'd say that at a relaxed, though deliberate and purposeful stride, it was moving along at a pace corresponding to about an eight and a half minute mile, or seven miles an hour....."

Okay, so about the pace for a unit formation run, but faster than the Airborne shuffle?  And over broken terrain?  That's pretty impressive.  I have to rely on reports (now up to about 250 of 'em read) and while some - maybe 20% off the top of my head - refer to a joggin' bigfoot, most seem to imply more of a plodding, leisurely pace before the animal knows that its being observed. Then there might be a quick burst to get out of line of sight, but with this large of an animal, I'd have to think* that the average "in transit" pace is slower.

* Not a bigfoot expert. Not even a wildlife expert. Didn't even sleep at a Days Inn last night.

Are we talking about "as the crow flies", or the true "by land/water" distance? It can be quite hilly where these so called squatches reside.. :superman:

Are we talking about "as the crow flies", or the true "by land/water" distance? It can be quite hilly where these so called squatches reside.. :superman:

It seems that BF generally travel over rough terrain, although they'll hop out onto a road if its late and no one's around.  My guess would be that they have a general "in transit" speed (like a bear pondering along or a coyote just "strolling" from one spot t'other) and a "blitz" speed for hunting or escaping/evading.  For now, I'll stand by my 30-60 mile estimate for daily travel.

SSR Team

I don't know why they'd need to patrol.

Surely like all animals, their daily mileage would depend on their food sources.

We don't know if they migrate in the true sense of the word, we don't know if they have a base which is used as a " home range " etc etc.

I don't see, for example, why a Sasquatch living on the Oympic Peninsula would need to travel 30 - 60 miles on any given day.

I'd understand why they'd be at lower elevations in the winter months but as for day to day, I just think they'd go where the food goes or is.

But again, maybe within their society's they'd have some kind of structure, like adolescent males for example or lone males that " wander ", it needn't be the same for a female though.

To Bobby O,

When I read the original post, I interpreted "patrol" as "travel to conduct activities for daily living" (e.g., grabbing food and water, tracking down a female in heat, marking territory against an encroaching male, figuring out what the annoying pink skins are doing so deep in the woods, etc.)  So a Bigfoot living in one area might cover 20 miles in a single day, similar to what all animals do to a greater or lesser degree. 

Anectdotally, if BF did not have a significant day-to-day variance in location (i.e., didn't move a lot), it would be easy to get one on film after a sighting - just go flood a square mile around that sighting location with cameras.

Edited by Trogluddite

SSR Team

To Bobby O,

Anectdotally, if BF did not have a significant day-to-day variance in location (i.e., didn't move a lot), it would be easy to get one on film after a sighting - just go flood a square mile around that sighting location with cameras.

Not sure about that, but it's a different debate altogether if they can "see" these trail cams, which they may well do..

Consider this : Top end models of game cameras have a range of up to 70 feet in the open, vegetation will obviously restrict that and we are talking about forested areas. So I used a range of 50*20 feet (1000 sq feet which I think is rather large but the math was easier.) One acre is 43,560 square feet - so in an optimal environment you would need 43.5 cameras per acre to capture every piece of it.

According to wikipedia there is a total of 70,623,539 acres of National Forest in northern California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho. This does not include any BLM, nor private forested lands, but there is also some Nat Forest lands that are probably not suitable habitat.

70,623,539 acres x 43.5 cameras/acre = 3,072,123,946 ( three BILLION ) cameras - this is a big stab we are taking and it's more to make a point than be scientifically accurate. 

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/37688-where-are-the-trail-cam-videos/?p=722774

.... you would need 43.5 cameras per acre to capture every piece of it. 

Not sure we're disagreeing - I was just trying to say that if Bf had a small range that it moved within, someone could organize a big group of field researchers who all rushed to the location of the latest sighting, then beat the brush w/torches and pitchforks, and flush the big fellow out into range of live people with cameras.

Well my hypotheses is that they do not move much at all until it is time to hunt. When they do move I would believe that they move anywhere between 20 - 60 miles a  day for better ground ,where they will stay stationary. There stillness is only to conserve calories and energy for the amount of size that they are.Leaves intake might be a big part of their intake since it would be harder to digest since salads is is harded to digest in us as humans and makes us feel full. This is just my opionion .

SSR Team

Not sure we're disagreeing - I was just trying to say that if Bf had a small range that it moved within, someone could organize a big group of field researchers who all rushed to the location of the latest sighting, then beat the brush w/torches and pitchforks, and flush the big fellow out into range of live people with cameras.

What would a small range be though ?

100 square miles ?

That's still a lot of camera's.