Are Hikers, Campers, And Hunters Pushing Bf To Its Limits?

georgerm

^But is this even possible? We know animals can carry stuff that is harmful to humans but can it work the other way?

Yes. Look at what's happening to gorillas in high tourist areas. They're getting all sorts of nasty little illnesses, especially respiratory infections, from human visitors.

Everyone here knows my position on taking a type specimen.

Iam reading tons and tons of conjecture, from range and population density to behaviors. The fact of the matter is is that we just do not know. And we won't know until Biology gets involved.

And this is why a type specimen is so important.

A type specimen is not nessessary. Science cannot study behavior and character from a dead body. There are typical study patterns field biologist conduct to come to conclutions they are disiring; can't do it with a dead body. The only thing a dead body will give them is what it is, not howwhere, or why. A good point in case is the recent discovery of the olinguito. After the dead body parts were discovered the scientist went out into the field to do what they do to study the living mammal to determine to how it is. 

Yes. Look at what's happening to gorillas in high tourist areas. They're getting all sorts of nasty little illnesses, especially respiratory infections, from human visitors.

People entering their territory could be a biological threat.

This might by why BF avoids contact with us but it takes an understanding of disease.

Iam reading tons and tons of conjecture, from range and population density to behaviors. The fact of the matter is is that we just do not know. And we won't know until Biology gets involved.

Getting a specimen is a reality, but should be done by experienced big game hunters that won't be causing any wounding or suffering. This event will spur science to get out in the field to study and video BF. Habitat protection laws will be enacted and BF will be better off.

Presently the creation of new roads into the deep forest areas, brings in more and more people into their habitats. These intrusions probably push BF farther and farther back into the forest and into areas claimed by other BF clans.    

How can they stalk game when hunters in cars are road hunting or hikers come trudging through hunting areas.

Guest Urkelbot

A type specimen is not nessessary. Science cannot study behavior and character from a dead body. There are typical study patterns field biologist conduct to come to conclutions they are disiring; can't do it with a dead body. The only thing a dead body will give them is what it is, not howwhere, or why. A good point in case is the recent discovery of the olinguito. After the dead body parts were discovered the scientist went out into the field to do what they do to study the living mammal to determine to how it is.

Without the body no Field biologists are going to be conducting any studies. There is no money. With a body loads of money would be poured into Bigfoot research and biologists will be clamouring to be first in line.

If a group of people are devoting time and money to a project to kill a bigfoot "specimen", would it be unreasonable to expect they would know a little about their range, population density and behavior? (I assume the "we" part refers to members of  the "kill club". If not, it's too inclusive.)

Guest COGrizzly

"WE NEED A NATIONAL MOVEMENT OF ‘RESPECT THE BIGFOOT’ AND NOT HUNT DOWN AND KILL BF" 

My text in maroon red.  ^^  I've got some WONDERFUL news!!!  It already exists!  Why?  Because no one has shot a Bigfoot yet!  Now...IF someone actually brings in a Bigfoot body.....then, yeah sure protect them. 

For now them Bigfoots are doing a superb job of not getting shot.

To answer your questions, perhaps.  To answer my questions, a type specimen is of no value at all.   But just as I knew your position, you knew mine.  :) 

"Carry on ..."  :)

Yes, it would be more humane if someone could find a road killed BF rather than shooting one.  Here in southern Oregon, BF will be hiding from a small army of bow and rifle hunters. It's just a matter of time before one is brought in. 

georgerm- I plus you on that last post sir.It seems even though a DNA report is required in Ca. to proceed with any regulations, it would seem as though it wouldn't hurt to adopt a no shooting regulation. So why the hold-up? IMHO the buearucrats are managed by high income industry as far as what works for the economy and to hell with ecology. As long as they can hold off the public or friends of BF the better.

How can they stalk game when hunters in cars are road hunting or hikers come trudging through hunting areas.

How can people hike when hunters come clumsily trudging through hiking areas?

Just my two cents.  Here in the Northwest the Cascade Range runs from north of the Washington/Canadian Border into northern California, say 700 miles.  Wikipedia says it is 80 miles wide.  I would guess probably closer to 60 on average.  That equates to 42,000 square miles of land.  There are 640 acres in a square mile.  If my math is correct there are 26 million plus acres of mountains in the Cascade Range.   It is rugged and steep terrain, densely covered in trees and vegitation (more so on the west side) and wet and cold a good portion of the time.   

People, for the most part do not venture far from roads or trails.  They just don't do it.  So all any animal has to do to stay hidden is stay away from these two things.  Some people seem to think that there are people all over the Cascade Mountains when in fact, there are areas of the Cascades that have nevere been explored.  People go where the roads and trails take them.  Last time I checked the majority of the Cascades are still roadless.  Gates are being added and locked all the time, and many roads are no longer being maintained and reverting back to wilderness. 

An acre is the approximate size of a football field.  Imagine that covered in trees and scrub and ferns and logs and you would be hard pressed to find anything in it if it didnt want to be found.  Now times that by 26 million and have at it. 

I'm sorry but I don't beleive encroachment is a problem for sasquatch, at least not here anyway. 

If a group of people are devoting time and money to a project to kill a bigfoot "specimen", would it be unreasonable to expect they would know a little about their range, population density and behavior? (I assume the "we" part refers to members of  the "kill club". If not, it's too inclusive.)

"We" represents humanity as a whole. A type specimen is a logical first step at understanding their intelligence, eating habits, vision, hearing and sense of smell. It gives us an invaluable tool at understanding the species as a whole. Then comes scientific inquiry into habitat, population, mating so forth and so on.

Basically the strategy with Project Grendel is to crunch sighting data with seasonal data and to predict hot spots at certain times of the year. But we have discussed other strategies as well. But no one can "know" about their range or population density, because the sightings could include thousands of Sasquatch or a very low number that travels alot.

I see range and population as inversely proportional, if one goes up then the other must come down and vice versa.

Forgive me for I didn't read the whole thread completely, but this is not directed at anyone here in particular. I had a similar argument recently with some friends.

I think some folks are getting a little too caught up in the thought that just now, in 2013, suddenly American man is on some massive expansion crusade into the woods. Let us not forget that BF (if existent, it surely has been here a long time) has survived everything from the mayflower landing through the great westward expansion, through the industrial revolution and most recently the baby boom! It's a little egotistical honestly to think that hunters and hikers are driving BF into a cave to die from gonorrhea. if you actually go out there yourself to see the wild instead of only knowing it from TV and the internet you'll quickly see that there is plenty of habitat.The American wild is highly protected and increasingly so as time goes on. As any hunter will tell you the population of many game species has experienced a steep incline since the early part of the 20th century when hunting, before conservation regulation, almost wiped out several species of large game. Bear, deer, wolves, mountain lion....all on the incline.  The westward expansion and manifest destiny may very well have pushed BF our of his habitat initially only to end up spreading across the continent. If anything, American man is helping to GROW the population and territory. Rant over.