What Evidence Makes You Believe That Bigfoot Exists ?

Guest Lesmore

Guest Crowlogic

How can you disagree with my own personal experiences?

The disagreement with another's personal experience stems from the probability that the personal experience while perhaps real to the person claiming it may indeed be a false positive.  When assessing a reportage it gets weighed against the total state of the issue.  In the case of bigfoot there is no hard evidence and  mountain of hoaxing and hucksterism behind it.  I'm certain you believe you saw what you saw but an internal subjective belief does not affect the objective reality.

Good shout neanderfoot on the PGF, but even that ( and IMO it's 100% a real Sasquatch ) still gets grilled to this very day and the fact that the best piece of evidence we have is the best part of 50 years old says a lot about current research practices sadly.

Bobby you touched on my reasoning for abandoning belief.  Indeed 50 years is a very long time.  We went to the moon in 10, we harnessed the atom in 5.   

Guest ChasingRabbits

I have two questions for the "skeptics".

Why do you care if people believe Big Foot exists?

Why do you devote the amount of time you do to a subject that you believe is a lie?

Guest Crowlogic

I have two questions for the "skeptics".

Why do you care if people believe Big Foot exists?

Why do you devote the amount of time you do to a subject that you believe is a lie?

I don't care if people believe in bigfoot.  The interest for someone taking my position is to gain insight into why people do what they do.  The worst part of the observation is that a great many public proponents are in it for the $$$$. Why just today I came across a group where you can purchase DVD's of their expeditious.  If you want to know why some people are in the game just follow the money since you can't follow the phenomenon to any sort of conclusion.

Hmmm, funny.  I have followed it to a conclusion:  follow this evidence and you're gonna confirm at least one new species.

Now I admit I find it interesting - although I will never gain insight into why - that people keep coming on here and on here refusing all assistance and effort in getting up to speed on this and insisting that the boring repetition of "nothing to see" here is, somehow, interesting.  But I find the animal a lot more so.

Guest ChasingRabbits

I don't care if people believe in bigfoot.  The interest for someone taking my position is to gain insight into why people do what they do.  The worst part of the observation is that a great many public proponents are in it for the $$$$. Why just today I came across a group where you can purchase DVD's of their expeditious.  If you want to know why some people are in the game just follow the money since you can't follow the phenomenon to any sort of conclusion.

If your interest is "to gain insight into why people do what they do", then you do care if people believe in bigfoot. Moreover it seems that you already have the "insight into why people do what they do", as you intimate that they are in it for the money. And if you didn't care if people believe in BigFoot, you wouldn't be actively searching for Big Foot material, such as the DVDs you mentioned.  (Get real, unless you've searched or are actively searching for Big Foot material, it doesn't just pop up on your browser.)

So I ask again, why do you care if people believe in Big Foot? What effect does their belief have on you that you would spend time on a forum reading posts, answering posts, etc.? If you really don't care what people believe about Big Foot, you wouldn't come here or go to those places on the Internet where groups sell Big Foot DVDs.

I'm interested because I just want some insight into why people who claim they don't care about something show a great deal of interest in something they claim they don't care about.

I would say - and there is absolutely no way to overstate this - that bigfoot skeptics consider this one of the most important things going on in their lives.  Their over-investment in holding on to something it would be easy to discard simply by educating oneself is evidence enough.

Guest Crowlogic

I would say - and there is absolutely no way to overstate this - that bigfoot skeptics consider this one of the most important things going on in their lives.  Their over-investment in holding on to something it would be easy to discard simply by educating oneself is evidence enough.

No it's not at least for me it isn't.  But where else can a person observe the litany of thought an belief process propelling what is for all intents and purposes a dead end.  It's a bit like riding in a pack towards a cliff and hitting the brakes in time to avoid going over the cliff but getting to observe the rest of the pack racing towards the cliff.  Fortunately the cliff of bigfoot is not a fatal one.

Right, if one chooses not to learn more or engage on an intellectual level, sure.  But of course I could have just answered: Um, like I said...

How can you disagree with my own personal experiences?

Oh, he can disagree with them all he wants.  But when his answer is "I didn't know you had them," and that's the reason he can discount them, well, no analysis of the intellectual depth of the stance is really needed, is it.

Edited by DWA

Guest Crowlogic

Right, if one chooses not to learn more or engage on an intellectual level, sure.  But of course I could have just answered: Um, like I said...

Oh, he can disagree with them all he wants.  But when his answer is "I didn't know you had them," and that's the reason he can discount them, well, no analysis of the intellectual depth of the stance is really needed, is it.

The problem of learning more is everyone is drawing from the same well which is indicated by the proponents with said great evidence not sharing or enlightening the rest with said great evidence.   I watched an expedition up in Canada where they are finding tracks and casting tracks and doing all of the right stuff.  But as soon as the "buy the DVD popped up it was game over.  If a person can make a buck in a shadow market like bigfoot then what is preventing them from creating the tracks they are casting?  Todd Standing taught us a lot about what people will do in the bigfoot game.  I have to watch that video then suspend disbelief that the tracks are genuine when there is nothing else in the offering.  Oh but if I buy the DVD there is the promise of more.  This is why I say there is nobody in the public arena that can be trusted.  Fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me.  Fool me every day and I'm a bigfoot proponent.

SSR Team

Bobby you touched on my reasoning for abandoning belief.  Indeed 50 years is a very long time.  We went to the moon in 10, we harnessed the atom in 5.

And you've only abandoned that belief in the last 18 months or so..;)

Seriously though, I can completely understand why, I honestly can.

I've said it before a few times but there's no way I'd personally be anywhere near this subject or forum or whatever had I not seen one.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'd be nowhere near it if I hadn't read, in a mainstream wildlife magazine, a balanced treatment of P/G and the overall evidence the spring after the film became public.

Some of us have an entree to the topic that the bigfoot skeptics don't.  For anyone who didn't get what we did - a personal exposure to the animal or an insight delivered by a truly skeptical treatment of the subject, i.e., questioning all assumptions, including the one that this can't be real - I can see why they'd consider this right there with unicorns and fairies.

But not why they'd be coming back and back and back and back...to a subject I would find profoundly uninteresting, in their shoes, because, well, it would be.

Guest Crowlogic

And you've only abandoned that belief in the last 18 months or so.. ;)

Seriously though, I can completely understand why, I honestly can.

I've said it before a few times but there's no way I'd personally be anywhere near this subject or forum or whatever had I not seen one.

Bobby I gave it a good long run before withdrawing belief.

That actually doesn't say much.  You could have spent that good long run finding out - long before the end of it - that you were on the right side of the issue.  Instead, you dropped the winning horse, and are...um....still hanging around this....?  Don't know 'bout you, but man that is un-pretty-much-anything-interesting-or-fun.

Guest Crowlogic

That actually doesn't say much.  You could have spent that good long run finding out - long before the end of it - that you were on the right side of the issue.  Instead, you dropped the winning horse, and are...um....still hanging around this....?  Don't know 'bout you, but man that is un-pretty-much-anything-interesting-or-fun.

This is where the impasse is between the believer and non believer.  The believer turned non believer starts out with the same set of evidence as the perennial believer.  The difference between the two is that the non believer evolves to see beyond the glass being half empty or half full and finds that the glass has been empty all along.  The harsh truth remains that all the proponents in the world have not delivered the object of their belief.  That is a gargantuan fly in the ointment of belief.

No it isn't.

For one thing:  no belief with me, evidence only.  For another thing:  object delivered.  That most people don't understand that means nothing to me.  The body is a formality; the proof is in.

So your thesis is:  if it hasn't been proven it doesn't exist?  Oh, OK, science can stop now?  Everything?  Astronomy, geology, physics, biology, all done?

You're seeing the flaws in your thinking, I mean, boy, I hope you are.