Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

Guest Cervelo

It's over 6' easy.... Again complete silly on my part but when I first saw this I thought it was a grave.

Having found the other one it's obvious it is just piles made from clearing long ago but still creepy.

I've never seen this anywhere in Va and have hunted and worked on farms all over the state.

A vid of the second pile..

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

Yep, creepy, eh? I think you called it though on the vid. The tree in the middle? Grew through or seeded on top? The very interesting root growth almost says seeded on top after the pile was created. It would be interesting to see any old photos of the area in the historical society records or maybe look into the last time the place was logged out. Individual state's logging histories are pretty easy to find. Get a bearing on the line connecting the two piles to use as a compass or note on a topo. That kind of stuff breaks up the monotony of just normal "dry" map reading. Makes for a good visual in anchoring positions.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

Ok.You've absolutely got to go back and tear that sucka down Cervelo! Be sure to post the video to let us know what you find.

I've considered it, it's about an hour hike to the site and I'm trespassing as well.

I really want to dig it up but this area is know to have some undocumented civil war sites, so a guy walking into the woods with a shovel will get more than the usual attention....

Hey look mommy what's the creepy old guy doing going into the forest with a shovel and a gun!

Hiflier,

It's definitely an old farm site and is still hunted today by someone. They have done extensive clearing and planting to deer hunt from stands.

While not in the boonies access is very restricted due to being bordered by a hwy and a swamp.

It's an area I spent alot of time stomping around in my youth....so in a way it's mine and always will be.

C4EFF982-99F5-4FAB-AB56-D0685201A6DB.png

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

Thanks. Yeah takes me back too when I was exploring the woods in southwestern Ohio. That area had several legends and sightings. One was called the "Monster of the Levee" named for the levee along the Miami and Little Miami rivers that dumped south into the Ohio River. One, ironically enough, was just called "the big Indian". We enjoyed the mysteries and intrigue. We used to SCARE OURSELVES out of the woods LOL!

BTW, have you ever gone out specifically for Sasquatch?

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

I don't really look at it that way...having hunted all my life...I know when I go turkey hunting everything in the woods is a turkey same with deer ect ect LOL!

As I've said before what people attribute to Bigfoot I've seen and heard all my life but I haven't seen or heard bigfoot do anything, or leave one single shred of evidence that I can't explain as natural or manmade.

But I have been to many sites that have been locations of Bigfoot activity....here's a little vid of a report that some campers heard something outside a hut opened the window and bigfoot was staring in.

After having been there most likley they were cooking in the hut and a bear walked up and they opened the window and the bear would have been at the perfect hieght.

Do I go Squatch'in nah but I do like to hike, camp and explore new areas ;)

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

No vid but that's OK i get what your saying. Always nice to get a good dose of reasonableness (word?...it is now LOL) injected into the subject :)

Edited by hiflier

Hello Cervelo,

YOU GUESS!?!! LOL. It looks VERY juvi if that's the toe of your boot. Can't tell if there are claws but yeah, cub. Good pic. Shows the typical back paw on top of front.

BTW, watched the vid and it did look like an enjoyable time out.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

It's an awesome trail system in an area called Wolf Gap in Va.

Here's a little vid to get us back on topic..

Hello Cervelo,

YOU GUESS!?!! LOL. It looks VERY juvi if that's the toe of your boot. Can't tell if there are claws but yeah, cub. Good pic. Shows the typical back paw on top of front.

BTW, watched the vid and it did look like an enjoyable time out.

This is the area...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Schloss

If you ever get the chance to visit I highly recommend it...there's a very nice car camping area with bathrooms and running water...if that's not your style in less than an hour you can be in some backcountry and some fantastic hiking and who knows!?!

Don't go during hunting season!

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

Wow, Mill Mountain is gorgeous. You're good to get out and see such beautiful landscapes. The rock formations alone is worth the price of admission. Good BF lookout too LOL WITH rock overhangs no less. Home sweet home. You're King of the Thread right now dontcha know Looking at that country I wonder how folks think it's east to find the Hairy One. Listened to your "Whoop" sound bite too. THAT is a "whoop". I kno things can be misidentified but that one? It sounded about 300 yds out. But I wasn't there so what do I know. I may show up on that thread with some questions.

Looks like I just figured out how to post an image. I know it's dark, but I wanted to give some scale. I had some older photos of what I'll describe, but they appear to have been lost on an unreadable SD card.

This is a very old huge hollowed-out stump that was nearly intact except for an opening in it big enough to crawl through Oct/Nov 2012. It is tall, too, maybe ten feet? My young friend is about 4'6".

When I saw it again in April 2013, one massive piece had been broken clean off onto the ground. The size might have been a quarter of it. I can't imagine how heavy it was, but more than one could lift. You can see only part of it in the foreground. That is because at the time of the photo, Nov 2013, the massive piece had been broken into about 6-10 pieces and scattered broadly. Because the stump has burn marks from long ago, it was easy to spot pieces of it going a long way around and on the trail.

I've seen no sign of insects that would attract animals, but who knows. Bear could do it, MAYBE, or a group of vandals, I dunno. Seems weird to me.

Guess I can't edit my previous post. Also of note is that the above wood destruction happened in the same period between 10/12 and 11/23 as the downed tree over another part of the trail that I initially posted about upthread. My field notes from 10/12 say "Wood from burnt hollow tree appeared moved." meaning the one huge piece. The following month is when it was all broken up.

Guest Cervelo

Dismal Swamp Va a couple of years ago...this was about an hour in of a bike ride

Approximately here...

49F388E8-F84B-4C33-9581-D805021C06F8.png

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

Yeah, it looked pretty Dismal indeed untill I saw the other vids. The "dismal" lake is in fact very nice looking and overall the refuge must be teeming with life. Videos like your and other members do offer an opportunity for folks to have that element of being there with you because they're live videos. But even beyond that, they are informative if there is dialogue in them which you are pretty good about doing. Much appreciated.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic