Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

CMBigfoot,

What happened to the pictures you posted of that arbor like structure, I wanted to examine them but when I got around to it they were gone.

^^^Them too.

Ya know, guys, wasting this kinda bandwidth kinda says something about who's got the evidence...and who doesn't.  You knew that, right.

You two^^^ Take it outside please. This thread is to discuss the topic of the OP, and I would kindly request we not turn this into yet another  argue yes/argue no existence thread.

Oh for Pete sake, WSA. You and your brother (particularly your brother) are the number one off topic wanderers around here.  Try to keep the hypocrisy to a minimum, huh?

• Upvote 1

Dmaker..the only ones in my family who have a brother are my sisters.    I don't much care how much you resent it , stay on topic if you please, or go somewhere where that would be on topic.  Feel free to call me out on that if I ever exhibit the same behavior, and I'll be happy to comply.

DWA, thank you for your acknowledgement and prompt self-correction.   

Guys,

Some folks here were having a nice discussion about tree breaks/ manipulation.

Not about what degrees we have or don't have, or who knows the most.....

DWA.... stay on topic please.

Michele

• Upvote 1

Hello chelefoot,

Thank you! I don't say much on the subject of tree breaks because the likelihood of natural cause is so high. But for the sake of this thread let's say I happen upon a tree break; what would I do. How would I go about determining whether it was natural or the result of "something else"?

If the break was showing fresh inner wood then one should investigate; if the break was late in the summer or fall season and several things should be determined.

1) What is the diameter?

2) Has there been a storm?

3) If so what was the wind direction?

4) are there signs that it was taken down by another tree?

5) How is the tree broken or twisted?

6) Is the ground at all disturbed?

In assessing the tree break it would be beneficial to know the diameter and tree type such as 3" of soft wood vs. 4" of hardwood. The height of the break is important too. For instance, a break 3-4 feet up could result in a pull-down motion. Like say running along and grabbing the tree while moving. A break 5-6 feet up could indicate having one's back to the trunk and breaking the tree by reaching over one's head with both arms and pulling down so that the tree breaks over a shoulder.

I would think if it's determined to be a fresh late-in-the-year break then looking for footprints along the direction of the break either in the area before or after the tree itself might have clues. Also if the break is higher up then a close examination of the vertical trunk might reveal hair embedded in the bark.

Treat the whole thing like a crime scene in which case try not to compromise or disturb anything on approach until the areas between you and the tree has been carefully examined. If you serious about attributing tree breaks to Sasquatch this is the least anyone should do. After all, if tree breaks are to mark territory you are obviously ignoring the message by remaining in the area, even if only to assess the break itself.

Edited by hiflier

Excellent counsel hiflier. It is the totality of what all your senses can take in that makes the difference between an obvious wind/snow/ice derangement of a tree, or probable human-caused event and something else. I say again:  You spend enough time in the woods, you'll see thousands of pushed over, bent over, busted, stacked  and twisted  trees to which you will not give a second glance. In my years as an A.T trail maintainer, and clearing blowdowns on lots of other treadways, with everything from a chainsaw, to a two-man ,to a folding pruning saw, I've seen and cleared my share. Most are easily distinguished as arising from natural causes. Most are just victims of entropy and time. There are those that defy glib explanations though. 

I'd add one additional point to look for too: Is the tree out of character for how the rest of the woods appear? Yes, vortices of air can be famously selective and fickle, pushing one tree over, while sparing another close by. Still, wind, snow and ice events strike large areas. If you traverse a large enough area, you'll get the sense if it was truly a unique occurrence, or just the one you happened to run across. 

• masterbarber unpinned this topic