Will Yosemite And Sierra Nevada Fires Affect Bigfoot

Good question. What are the other animals doing? Getting the heck out of dodge I'm sure, but via what method and what direction?

Waterways? Urban areas?

I imagine that it "Did" affect them already. I wouldnt be suprised if they know to walk towards the wind to get away, its cooler too.

I would imagine it would only effect them if they were in the area of the fires.  Some may have lost their summer homes.

I'm sure it will.  The smoke is all over the place.  But I'm also sure that they've moved clear by now.  Fires are a fact of life in the mountains.  Sparked off by all sorts of things, including rocks striking against one another making sparks.  It doesn't take much to set off the dry timber.  It doesn't rain much, if at all, from May until October or November.  Very dry.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I think the answer is a resounding "yes." In fact, I would think that such a disaster could present an opportunity to a keen sasquatch researcher, if they know their research area front and back, and can predict what an animal is likely to do in such a situation. Obviously any sasquatch in the area would have left once their location had begun to be affected by the fire. Whether they would have left prior to that is possible however, since they are likely intelligent.

So if a researcher has an area where they tend to get a lot of activity, the researcher could assume this is a location where sasquatch were prior to evacuating. Knowing their point of departure, and then estimating the time of departure, one can actually attempt to place themselves in a research area where sasquatch are not only likely to be present, but are also likely to be in a disoriented state of mind to some degree. If there are heightened emotions, which no doubt is the case, then their decision making abilities may suffer slightly, and they may not be as focused on utilizing stealth tactics in the woods. But I suppose one could say that knowing where they would stop is a long shot. We might guess what direction they moved in, but estimating how fast they are covering ground is difficult. And then knowing how long they would have kept up their retreat is also difficult.

This is why I said it would take a researcher intimately familiar with their research area, and the area surrounding it, as they would be in a better position to answer such questions. So overall, the majority of researchers probably wouldn't benefit all that much from such a natural disaster, but if I am correct in stating that these animals will be less inclined to utilize stealth, the chances of a sighting would rise, eliminating all the other major variables that is. These other variables would be very important though.

Then there is the possibility that these animals may actually be more inclined to utilize stealth in such a situation, for the same reasons that I said they might fail to utilize it...They are scared and aren't thinking under normal or ideal conditions. So instead of being lackadaisical in their movements, they may actually be scared and skittish, making it more difficult to detect them. And then there is the fact that most researchers or just regular people would not want to get out in the forests when there is a forest fire in the vicinity. But I would think the sasquatch would move a good deal farther than just a few miles in the opposite direction of the fire.

Thinking about it, if a large fire were approaching from one direction, the most obvious direction to take would be the exact opposite of the approach direction. But again, it would take a knowledge of the particular area to say for sure. So to reiterate in answering your question, I do think that sasquatch will be affected by a large fire. I am not keeping up with any current fires, so I don't know their size or anything, which is likely important, as is the number. I would think that multiple fires over large areas would be more confusing to these animals, as well as other animals in general. The area in question is an area where sasquatch likely dwell in decent numbers, but I don't know if they will be any more affected than they were for past fires. It will also come down to chance, in that the fire may or may not go through an area where there is a high concentration of these animals. Sure they are dispersed, but certain areas likely have more than others.

The Rim Fire is burning on my national forest - it's nearly 200,000 acres as of right now. It burned up most of the area where we bigfoot. Just like the other animals, I am sure any bigfoot in the way of the fire left the area.  I'm sure it will be years before they return.

SSR Team

Pretty sure I've read about serious fires in the BC area this summer too actually, even if these specific ones aren't.

Hello All,

The question of affecting SSQ brings up another side. If Bigfoot has been uprooted then their knowledge of their normal areas of hunting will be lost. Going to a new area means starting over with understanding the new terrain and what's there for food. The food part may not be an issue as concentrations of animals surrounding the fires will increase. But moving into territory occupied by other resident SSQ's could be a problem if the resident populations think they are being encroached upon or feel that their resources are being threatened by intruders.

The flip side of the coin is that their communication may include a sort of help dialogue in which the refugees would be allowed to meld with the surrounding groups temporarily. One interesting thought would be that maybe ALL of them didn't make it out and there might be an opportunity to find a carcass or a skeleton amongst the ashes in the aftermath of the conflaguration.  

Edited by hiflier

Bigfoot are so good at stealth and analyzing risks and threats that it makes me think they are always on high alert. Humans, bears, fires, etc. I would imagine that they have some flight policy whenever a fire approaches, or whenever humans build in their back yard, or whatever the case may be. I'm saying that I really doubt that a bigfoot would ever get caught in a fire.

Hello TD-40,

You're probably right. My thinking is usually always deeper than I write though because I try not to muddy the waters with long laborious lines of dialogue. Suffice it to say that not every SSQ is going to be on top of their game. By that I mean that since no one really knows the life span of these animals then one doesn't really know how well the elders do at the end of their lives. If too old to keep up then the danger posed by the fires may result in the older, slower ones being left behind if they can't keep up. It could mean that they can be overcome with smoke just like Humans and perish before the fire actually reaches them. After all, it seems as if the assumption is that the fires started away from where the animals are located when it could just as easily be that the fires began only a few hundred yards away. In which case the smoke would catch them very quickly along with the lack of oxygen. The elderly would fall victim the easiest.

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

The idea of SSQ perishing in a firestorm such as the one in Yosemite makes me wonder if Dr. Jeffery Meldrum has designs of going into the area for the sole purpose of looking for a carcass. I know if I were he I certainly would and since his college has just started classes then an expedition should be a kind of emergency addition to the curriculum. YA THINK!! 

It wouldn't be possible for Dr. Meldrum to do so right now. The entire area is closed to the public and will be closed at least for the next year or so. The area will remain "on fire" until the first rains and falling dead trees will make it too dangerous for the general public to enter.