Winter Bigfoot Wonderland, Huh?

Lake County Bigfooot

Ok, some of you realize my situation, see start of Urban Bigfoot, Seriously. I am wondering what is your guys opinion of Bigfoot winter behavior. I have some opinions, but would like to hear what others are experiencing around the country. We hear of the movements of western Squatch to the lower elevation, and it seems that quite a few sightings occur during the spring and fall months in proportion to the overall number of sightings. Does this suggest movement, or is it simply the lack of cover. There certainly are a lot of possibilities and implications to the question......post-23370-0-69708300-1381587471_thumb.j This pic was probably vibram running shoe, not 100% sure though.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Very cool topic , here in Michigan we have good activity from the day the snow is gone { mid April or so } to rifle season { November }.

My theory has been called the evergreen swamp theory and goes like this.

The activity from spring-summer-fall extends out  from a massive evergreen swamp { about 4 X 4 miles in size } mostly composed of pine, spruce and cedar into farmland along large patches of forest near a few human residences. { I believe this to be due the deer are on these areas heavily during these times} .  

This core area is nearly impossible to enter due to muck, roots and the possibility of getting very lost. Deer hunters will not even venture very deep going after a deer { no more then 250 yards and coincidently they sometimes get yelled at doing so, as reported :D }.  

Anyway it is my thought that the local family group spends the majority of their winter in the core area feeding on the deer and other  wildlife that have been forced into this core area by hunting pressure or cold temperatures. A evergreen swamp produces heat due to the under lying decomposing material witch is black muck and also holds it down due to the flat layered growth of the evergreens it equals an environment that can be as much as 10 degrees warmer than the exposed hardwoods environments witch are scarce of food as well by comparison.

This would explain the lack of snow tracks and why when we do find a set they are heading into deep swamp forest in the winter. 

Okay so based on the Bigfoot tracks, wouldn't it's feet freeze in the snow?

Snow animals have insulation on their feet, like minimal skin surface on the ground with hard pads and fur between their toes. Like snow dogs, the polar bear, etc. Our feet certainly don't last long in snow, and I would think it likewise for a Bigfoot.

Edited by roguefooter

Roguefooter,  foot anatomists have said that there does appear to be a fat pad on the sasquatch foot, this is based on examining clear track casts. 

They also may have hair down and over the toes, there is much we don't know yet about how they can do what they do and that is why I am in this , to find the how and why .

Edited by NathanFooter

So the entire bottom foot is a fat pad? That's a lot of contact surface for snow and ice. Also wouldn't there be fur between the toes or covering the bottom of the foot like a polar bear's?

That is how I understood Meldrum's presentation on the sasquatch foot,  He even mentioned that on a few track casts he seen where the pad made a over curl { or mushrooming affect } that filled in the open gap between the end of the forefoot and the tips of the toes where they mad contact on a surface.

I will speak with him on this soon to get some better information on this for you roguefooter.

Ok, some of you realize my situation, see start of Urban Bigfoot, Seriously. I am wondering what is your guys opinion of Bigfoot winter behavior. I have some opinions, but would like to hear what others are experiencing around the country. We hear of the movements of western Squatch to the lower elevation, and it seems that quite a few sightings occur during the spring and fall months in proportion to the overall number of sightings. Does this suggest movement, or is it simply the lack of cover. There certainly are a lot of possibilities and implications to the question......attachicon.gif021.JPG This pic was probably vibram running shoe, not 100% sure though.

your prints are inline of what i have seen in the feild in my area .Just the way that they are all in a straight line with one foot in front of the other and that there is no drag.I had once found footprints of that of a child in mid winter on a trail once that had a long stride  and that for me was strange since who in their right mind would let their child run in the winter bare feet.

I am with Nathanfoot that they hang in low and in the pines where it is warm ,they might even hibernate like bears do where they den up and not even move through out the winter.They might even migrate to warmer climates and what people might be seeing is a unit of the same family..

Guest StevieStrangeGlove94

Your spot on with the western squatches moving to lower elevations. I believe, as do many others im sure, that they tend to settle down on private land in the winter. Peoples land, watersheds, nature reserves etc.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I am not really sure to be honest. If I had to theorize, I would think that the movements of sasquatch during winter, in areas where winter significantly affects the landscape and wildlife, would change mainly due to the changes in behavior of the prey population. We cannot forget the foliage that these animals also utilize as a source of food. I would definitely classify them as opportunists, but unlike some opportunist hunters they posses the skills and physiology to gain access to a diverse range of food. 

The whole idea of "urban bigfoot" seems to make a bit more sense during the winter months from this point of view. Being opportunists they are likely to enjoy some of the things they would find in dumpsters and whatnot. I think I should probably explain the extent of my personal belief in urban sasquatch. I do not believe there are any sasquatch who spend days or more in urban areas. I do believe however that there are sasquatch who are bold enough to enter urban areas, IF these urban areas are nearby to safety, which for a sasquatch means the forest. It does not have to be a large forest, but it does have to connect to the larger habitat area, and this route will probably have to offer pretty good cover for travelling. But remember that at night, sasquatch do not necessarily need as much cover to remain hidden, if this is what they are attempting to do.

And of the sasquatch who will actually enter urban centers, I believe that the majority of them would not stray far from their avenue(s) of retreat back into cover. For all we know sasquatch could scout an area for days. There may not be any evidence to suggest this, and thus I personally don't believe it at this point, but it very well could be true. Because the truth is, we have absolutely no clue as to the limits of their intelligence, and have virtually zero insight into their thought processes.

Going back to the discussion at hand, if the prey animals change their behavior due to heavy snows or other winter conditions, I do not see how sasquatch could continue using the same strategies and still acquire the same amount of food. Sasquatch may actually need MORE food during the winter months than they do in the warmer months, but I am not positive. I suppose it will have to do with how active they are during the winter when compared with the other seasons of the year. I do not believe that sasquatch hibernate, or go into a state of semi-hibernation. I believe they remain active throughout the year, and I am fairly confident that this idea will prove to be correct in the end.

In regards to the amount of sightings decreasing in the winter months, there is a logical explanation for this, being that the witnesses, humans, are much less active during these months. Or, to state it in a superior manner, humans spend less time in sasquatch habitat during the winter months than they do during all the other months of the year. Therefore there are not as many people around to see the sasquatch, and thus we cannot readily conclude from that sasquatch are less active simply because the data suggests this.

I stated that I believe sasquatch to be just as active at any time throughout the year, but I should have clarified one point. I believe they are just as active when it comes to doing the things they must do to survive. However, in a certain way I believe them to be less active, and that is when it comes to simply "walking around" or exploring or whatever they do when they aren't doing things like finding and eating food, drinking water, etc...

So I believe that during the winter, for instance, they might hunker down for some hours throughout the day or night, as opposed to other months, when they might very well be out and about at the same times of the day or night. It might have something to do with the temperature, not only during the winter, but the summer as well. It is possible that the extreme heat of the daytime drives these animals to basically hang out. Personally I believe this would be one reason to think they are highly social creatures, as such leisure time allows strong social bonds to develop among other primate species. Plus, all primates just seem lazy anyway, lol. I think they like to just sit around. Anyone ever watch those chimp or orangutan shows on TV? You ever notice how they're always just sitting or hanging around, eating fruit and chasing each other around? Something to think about anyway, lol. I am only half serious though.

Anyway, maybe such an explanation would account for a decreased number of sightings during say the summer months, if any data suggests this. The community itself is hard-pressed for collections of local data from various locations, which could then be compared with data from other locations, which could possibly answer some questions, as well as likely raise some new ones. 

Snow animals have insulation on their feet, like minimal skin surface on the ground with hard pads and fur between their toes. Like snow dogs, the polar bear, etc. Our feet certainly don't last long in snow, and I would think it likewise for a Bigfoot.

Well, I don't think black bears or grizzlies for that matter have much more insulation down there than sasquatch do.

Analysis of tracks seems to indicate a very thick footsole for sasquatch, of the same general composition (speculative) as that of gorillas only thicker.  Given the composition for gorillas, insulation is indicated as one possible function of the thicker layer.  Although that isn't specifically mentioned here, the composition speculated certainly points that way:

http://woodape.org/index.php/about-bigfoot/articles/90-anatomy-and-dermatoglyphics-of-three-sasquatch-footprints

Other than that, only examining a specimen will give us more.

Think about it.  Physiologically, bigfoot is the megafauna version of the hominid.  The advantage of great size is a lower surface area to body mass ratio resulting in better heat retention.  This is a cold adaptation.  Their feet are, according to Meldrum, built differently than our own, so it wouldn't be a stretch for cold adaptation of the foot by means of a fat pad, which it seems to me would also be necessary simply to protect a foot supporting five hundred or more pounds walking around anywhere any time of the year.

Well, here's an idea:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=37974

Anybody who thinks that isn't a sasquatch would have to tell me much more than "a guy on snowshoes with a five-foot stride."  A LOT more.

According to the witness, the stride was not estimated to be five foot. That would be nothing unusual for for a man the height of the witness, even in snow shoes. I think you misunderstood what he said. 

Edited by Branco

According to the witness, the stride was not estimated to be five foot. That would be nothing unusual for for a man the height of the witness, even in snow shoes. I think you misunderstood what he said. 

"Each footprint appeared to be about 5 feet apart and he had to leap to the next one as his stride wasn’t even close." 

"Also, whoever had made the track would have had to have been a terrific athlete to leap 5 feet, one leg at a time, uphill at an angle at an altitude of 7500 feet. He then realized that it could possibly be a sasquatch."

Don't think that one needs much interpretation.

Edited by DWA

My above theory is based only in regard to the state of Michigan in the lower pen , other places with different climates and terrain features may reveal a different winter time operation or area usage .

I am very much convinced they do not migrate in MI, if they where migrating we would see a back and forth timeline of reports heading south and north at different times of the year.

If we take a look at the reports here for instance we can see that the reports are most common and clustered in places with an over 50% evergreen forest composition.

Just google a forest composition map { under images } and then look at the BFRO data base google earth layer, it reveals some really interesting stuff.