How Did All This Start With You?

Midnight Owl

I've no idea. I saw a bird far larger than is currently possible. I bring no proof to my story, so take no offense if one doubts my report. I've wrestled with it all my life.

I don't take offense should anyone doubt. I don't huff/puff/whine of the meanies that doubt. I got nothin', rather like those that proffer amazing tales, hereabouts.

I saw the creature. It took no interest in the boys approaching from a distance. It did fly off, and I didn't feel any too much danger, even though we might have been regarded as prey. I certainly cannot explain what I saw. It was enormous.

Still, this thread is not about me.

I can't help doubting those with amazing stories that take umbrage when asked about their ongoing experiences. "How dare anyone question the fairly impossible tales I relate here! (Blazing Saddles "Can I get a harrumph?")

Edited by Incorrigible1

Thank you for that "Harrumph!"

You may remember my avatar as related to Blazing Saddles. Love Harvey Korman and love the movie. "Thanks for remembering." (The last phrase told to me by NFL great Ben Davidson, on a phone call buying a spotting scope for his wife.)

Hello Incorrigible1,

Off Topic but Harv was great. Watched him all the time on the Carol Burnett Show. He and Tim Conway were priceless together. Thank YOU for remembering too. And now....back to our scheduled programming...

Guest cbehnke

Born in '69, saw the PGF (i forget where) when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old and i was totally mesmerized by it.  I begged my parents to take me to see the legend of bigfoot movie that came out in the 1970's.  That hooked my curiosity.  I loved watching anything about Yeti, Loch Ness, BF, etc. and I loved the In Search Of shows about BF.  From my mid-teenage years through age 30 I didn't spend 2 seconds thinking about BF.  Then I moved to Colorado and I began to follow it again about 10 years ago, but I forget exactly what re-sparked my interest.  I've been following the research and information as it comes available and I love the mystery of it all.  I live in Vermont now and I read all I can about sightings in New England.

I always had an interest in animals/zoology. When I was a young lad, growing up in St.Louis, the St.Louis Zoo held educational courses for young folk during the summer. One summer I took the reptile and amphibian course, the next the primate course, and then the avian (bird) course. I moved from St.Louis to Virginia in 74'.

Anyway, I saw the PGF when it came out. Watched a few BF movies, and "in Search Of" in the 70's. I thought it was interesting, but lost interest as priorities in my life changed. Then in 2010, I came across an encounter account on the web. It was a compelling class A daytime encounter, but what galvinized my interest was it had happened just a few miles from where I presently live. His encounter happened in the fall of 76' and he had since that time moved back to Ohio. But no one believed him, and I was the only one that came to his defense. We are good friends now, and he's a fine person. I told him since I live near where he had his encounter I would look into it. So I did.

Here's how I came to find out about the BF forum. I asked my friend if he could find a pic of what he encountered on that day. He sent me a pic of an artists sketch, and said it came from the BF Forums, and was posted by a member named "Sassyfoot".

Edited by WesT

I really enjoy hearing how folks personally came about following this interest. I fully understand how a person can camp, fish, hike and hunt in prime Bigfoot habitation areas and not see or hear a thing. I grew up doing just that and never experienced anything unusual.

On the other hand at a later stage of my life, I also know the feeling of experiencing a "What in the world was that!!?" moment where nothing adds up to what you believed most of your life. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on many, many circumstances.

I have conversed with a number of folks who carry very deep emotional scars from what happened to them. The sad thing is our society has very few places these people can actually go to and be taken seriously. They can be taken as mentally off for doing nothing more than telling the complete truth of what happened to them.

Hopefully some day, this vicious way of thinking will change...

I had some interest as a child, having seen the shaky PGF. Years passed and I lost interest.

After seeing a stabilized JFK Zabruder film a few years ago I decided to check if anybody had stabilized PGF. Sure enough...

Based on the work of Bill Munn's on PGF I became convinced that Patty is real. If she is real, THEY are real and here I am!

Grew up hearing stories about bigfoot from my father and his possible encounters. I was so afraid of bigfoot when I was younger and didn't think to question if it did or didn't exist. I remember riding back home in the back of my father's pickup truck at night, coming down the mountain dirt roads of the Ozarks. I was terribly frightened Bigfoot was going to run out of the woods and grab me. LOL!

• 1 month later...

I did a research paper on Bigfoot in 9th grade for an English class. I think it was 1985. I read every book on the subject at our library and did my report. I was hooked from the "In Search Of" TV shows. I have always been into the paranormal topics. I did a speech On Aliens and UFO sightings when I was in high school for communications class. I have also done alot of personal research on NDE's. Near Death Experiences. 

I grew up with a lot of yall, liked the movies and series back in the seventies. Like movies and shows of monsters and sci fi as a kid. To me it was Bigfoot was just another really cool interesting subject and monster. I didn't think any of it was real. The PGF was cool but I didn't think there was any way the subject was real. I thought people who said they say one were either mistaken, easily influenced, or just people who knew that folks like to believe in that sort of thing and gave them what they wanted, for fun, profit and the even out of compassion sometimes. I knew someone who had claimed to have seen one, but I along with most everyone of even his friends didn't believe him. To me, Sasquatch a a cool pop culture subject and nothing more, in a society of misled, mistaken, or hoaxing people. I didn't like, look down on them or anything, I just didn't believe them, nor put any credence in their word. That was until winter before last, when I was sitting right where I am now minding my own business  a little after midnight, playing Pirates of the Caribbean on the computer(the game has since been cancelled online). A very loud din of coyotes had caught my dogs' and my attention earlier, but not being a real unusual occurrence neither me nor my dog alerted lol But after midnight I started hearing something different which caught my and the dogs attention which sounded like a person screaming. I was inside with the doors closed with the tv on and computer noises of me pirate battles. I say that just to illustrate that this was LOUD. So Me and the dog went on the porch where there was two packs of coyotes and a something in between putting on a audio show which is hard to describe unless you heard it. They were close. I could hear jaws popping and the ground being torn up by the coyotes. The coyotes were going bat do do crazy. The "it" between them was screaming. My dog was acting strange, for her. With a low growl or whine she would run off the porch but only to the end of the house and stop look at me and come back, and put herself right in front of me, This went on for several minutes, A more bassy deeper whoop sound finally came. And everything stopped soundwise. Like someone had flipped a switch. The screaming stopped. The coyotes stopped. The barking neighborhood dogs stopped. The coyotes and the other thing were not far into the woodline of our yard. I know where they were. one pack of coyotes had torn the ground up where they were. The thing was in an area of bedrock schist outcropping with hauled in gravel on top, surrounded by planted pine forest with completely needle covered ground. I didnt see any evidence of anything where it was. I'm not saying im sure of what it was. But some of the recordings attributed to Sasquatch sound just like it sounded, which I discovered after getting on the internet and looking for answers. I had watched Finding Bigfoot before and remembered M.M. and them making calls, so I went down that route, listening and reading the information I could find on the subject. There was an Alabama Bigfoot site, since discontinued, which had lots of information of sightings and goings on in the general area of which I was unaware of. So I did a lot of keyboard research and a little walking and after lurking on here as a guest, I joined as a member, as well as pages on Facebook on the subject. I have not had another experience like that since. I have put out microphones and recorded the sounds of the night a few times. I have not captured anything which would be interesting to anyone else I think. A few distant knocks and tons of owls. Owls apparently are everywhere.

I grew up in the seventies, I remeber going to the theater and seeing a movie about Bigfoot when I was about 7 or 8. I don't recall the name of the movie but I vividly remeber the narrator saying something to the effect "What your about to see was filmed in Northern California by Roger Patterson..." and then they showed Patty walking across the sand bar. I remeber it scared the hell out of me because it looked so human like and yet wasnt human. I grew up in Vancouver Washington, not very far from Skamania County, and at that time reports of sightings were coming out of there on a regular basis so the thought of a giant 8 foot tall ape roaming the mountains right outside of town freaked me out a little.

Several years later when I was 14 years old two friends and I were fishing at Lacamas Lake east of Vancouver. We used to fish beyond the spillway where Lacamas creek continues down stream. This day we weren't having much luck and decided to walk further down stream. We came to a point where the creek flows through a fairly steep canyon. The trail forked, one continued along the edge of the creek and the other veered off and headed up torward the top of this little canyon. I decided to go explore while my friends continued to fish so I took the upper trail. At the top of the canyon was an exposed area that was covered in moss as it was early spring and still very cool out. The tree line was about thirty feet to the right or so. I remeber the moss was really thick and lush and I was thinking this would be a good place to go camping. As I wondered around I walked torward the tree line and saw something imprinted in the moss. It was a human shaped foot print pressed into the moss and probably fourteen to sixteen inches long. The moss had been torn where the ball of the foot would have been and was layed over like a flap, exposing the dirt and rock underneath. I remeber looking at it for several seconds and trying to fit it into my head as to what it could be. I then started looking around and found two more prints. There was a left, right, then another left footprint. They were in a half circle trackway that made it look as if this thing had been walking in the tree line and then stepped out and then back into the trees. The step was 4-5 feet between each track.

I suddenly felt very alone so I decided to call my friends over to show them what I had found. I remember looking and discussing this with them as we tried to make sense of it. I remember that we noted how these tracks had mashed the moss flat against the rock beneath it. We werent even leaving an indentation in the moss when we lifted our feet. We also looked at the tear and noted that the dirt underneath was still dark and moist, it hadnt had time to dry out and lighten up. At the time I didnt put it together but I know believe that it rotated on the ball of its foot as it stepped (possibly to look back behind it) and tore the moss in doing so. We tried to make the same step but had to jump from track to track to clear the same distance. We looked around to see if we could find any rocks or anything heavy that someone could have piled up onto some fake feet to mash the moss down like that but couldnt find anything. At that point we decided to get the hell out of there and headed back to the car. We didnt hear, see, or smell anything but I remeber the walk out on that narrow trail next to the creek seemed to take forever. We told several people what had happend but just got laughed at so I stopped talking about it all together.

I still continued to hunt and fish and didnt have any other experiences that I could chalk up to a bigfoot and really kind of forget about it until about 10 years ago. One day on the internet I was bored so I typed in "Bigfoot". I found a ton of sites and started reading everything I could find and my interest was renewed.

Then during the deer season in 2006 me and 3 friends were camped and hunting next to Pine Creek north of the Swift Creek Resivoir in Washington. On an evening hunt one of the guys and I were walking a fire road that wound its way up and over a ridgeline behind our camp and came out onto a logging road behind a locked fence. Our plan was to hunt up and over the ridgeline and down the other side. Then walk the logging road back to camp in time for dinner. When we got to the top of the ridgeline the fire road had petered out to a game trail with brush and trees on both sides. I began to notice footprints off to the right of me in the brush. I would take a step or two and stop and I would hear the same thing softly off to my right. Two more steps and stop, same thing to the right. I called my buddy up who was behind me by 30 or 40 feet and asked if he was hearing what I was hearing. He nodded yes and asked if I want to go into the brush and find out what it was. To be honest I wasn't thinking bigfoot, I was thinking other hunter and didn't want to get shot so I said no, lets get off this ridge. I remember feeling aprehensive and fighting the need to "go". Once we were off the ridgeline I felt better and the rest of the evening hunt was uneventful.

Once we got back to camp and had dinner, we were sitting around the fire just shooting the breeze. This would have been a couple of hours after we got back from the evening hunt so probably around 7:30 or 8 pm. I was in mid sentence talking with one of my friends when something let out a yell/scream that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It started out really low and increased in pitch until it was a blood curdling scream. It started out like a moo from a cow and then increased in volume and tone until it was a blood curdling shriek. The end of it sounded like a women being murdered, incredibly high pitched. And the volume was amazing. It sounded like it was coming from the ridgeline we had been on earlier as it was behind and to the right of camp. It also sounded like it was coming from above. As the scream ended i heard an owl hoot twice behind camp only a few yards away. I remeber watching my friends face as it screamed, I could see in his eyes that he was trying to identify the noise in his head with a known animal but was coming up empty. When the scream ended we all grabbed flashlights and rifles and headed back torwards the scream. After going a hundred yards or so back I think we all came to our sense and decided to leave whatever made the noise alone. I think we all knew that whatever it was was sounded a heck of alot bigger than we were. We didnt hear anything else after that and the rest of the hunt was uneventful.

I can't say any of what I experienced was a sasquatch as I never saw anything with my own eyes. But I do find it hard to beleive that the tracks I found as a kid were faked in moss and I know what I heard was no animal that I have ever come across. The experiences I have had have just cemented my intrest in the subject. I want to know what it is.

Edited by Mossprint

BFF Patron

I am a pretty late comer to this. I have always liked nature and science shows to watch on TV and when Finding Bigfoot started airing I found myself watching every new episode. The principals in the show seemed very convinced but I was still skeptical. Then I happened to catch some specials with Dr Meldrum, older ones with Dr Krantz and others. I got Meldrum's book first since my background is science. Then other books, encounter report books, and witness reports on line. By this time by the sheer number of reports, I thought that something real has to be going in even if is some sort of mass hysteria. Several encounter reports happened within about 10 miles of where I live and looked at the locations. I attended the 2012 Richland WA, Primal Peoples Conference and talked directly to several witnesses. I can read people pretty well in person and felt that some witnesses are pretty genuine. In May 2012 when the weather started to improve in the NW, I started doing field work a couple of days a week. Initially concentrating on areas with encounter reports. Before the month was out discovered my first footprint, a 20 incher on a mountain. At that point went from educated skeptic to believer. July 2012 had an encounter with at least two, with vocalizations and managed to catch a partial picture of what I think is a juvenile. That moved me into the firm believer and witness camp. Retired, I spend two or three days a week in the field, just hoping to gather hard data and add to what little knowledge we have. At this point, I don't know if my encounter so soon after starting field work was lucky or a curse. They are hard to have and I was not ready at the time. Without the encounter I might have been able to just walk away from it. But with it, I am driven to keep trying for more. I am enjoying the time in the woods and will continue that as long as I am able. At some point after existence is accepted, all the data collected will be of great use to help understand Sasquatch in it's natural environment. I wish to contribute what I can to that effort. Randy

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in Chicago, as a kid, my parents would come to Alabama a few times a year for a 2-3 week vacation.

We would stay with my grand parents on their farm, I would hang around at a spring feed pond in the edge of

the woods some 300 yds away from their house and fish, it was aways cool and shaded in the hot summers.

After awhile I began to notice some odd things going on at the pond, I was a kid and passed them off as some

thing that could normally happen there. I later (next summer) found out how odd things were going to get.

I would like to post my full story, it is sorta a long one. I postedi it only once before on Mike's "Watch1" old site

afew years back and when he shut his site, he passed most all reports to Bobbie's site. Now that she passed

away, my report is lost somewhere.

These encounters happened over a period of years, from tree shakes/growls while hunting after grown up to

a 20' face to face a year ago while squirrel hunting.

You can say, I became interested from my own encounters when  I was younger. I sat on the fence untill last

year when I became a believer after my face to face.

I would like to post my very long story on this forum, I need to know in what section to post it.

I will need to talk to a member on this site before I post the full story, I respect his judgement and honesty

when it comes to posting my untold sighting from last year.

For some reason since I changed my settings when I "went dark" for a month or so, I can't quote.  So I am doing this manually.  Darn, I can't do that either.

Trogudite - sorry if I misspelled that, if I go back I'll lose this....  When  you talked about how most of the researchers are snake oil salesmen, or something to that affect, I have to disagree just based on my personal experience.  My guy is, what I have learned, one of the best in the state of Ohio.  I'm not going to mention his name because he likes to fly under the radar.  He doesn't do this for publicity for himself, he's just in it for the research.  He has a very high professional position at one of the best medical institutions in the state of Ohio.  He is a tough grader and only gives a class A designation if there is no question about it.  He has helped me immensely and I am so grateful. 

So you may be right about most of them, I don't know.  My guy isn't one of those.  I have talked to 3 researchers in the state, and all of them have been professional and not goofy in the least.  God bless the Ohio BFRO!

And thank you as well to these forums.  I think you all helped me keep my sanity this year!