Are Sasquatch Numbers On The Rise In Your Opinion?

Guest lightheart

I have been told by the Traditional Seminoles of South Florida that they consider the Sasquatch a kind of people. According to their history the bigfoot fought alongside them in the Seminole Wars as a friend. 

What a vivid image that is, BF as warrior.

Imagine when BF is discovered and little historical antecdotes like this become accepted as fact. I can just envision a movie recreation where the Seminole are fighting Jackson's soldiers deep in the Everglades and up pops a 9 foot creature out of the shadows, only to chase them down one by one as they scatter in terror and disbelief.

I digress. Back on topic!

"  I mean it is quite difficult to study an animal that is actively attempting to NOT let you study it. "JiggyPotamus

Please name one. Please name one animal that you KNOW is actively aware that you are studying it and has consciously gone out of its way to knowingly foil your attempts to study it.  Please, just one. In the history of Natural History please name one animal that has displayed that level of intelligence. 

"Animal" ... depends on what you infer by that.

There is one "animal" that absolutely chooses to evade ... Homo sapiens sapiens.   Examples?  How bout Ishi?   Or the VC during the Vietnam war.  Or the Taliban in Afganistan and Pakistan. 

I have not experienced one single thing to support the idea we're dealing with just a dumb animal.  None.  Sasquatch do not appear to make the mistake of underestimating us.  Many of us make the mistake of underestimating them.  So which species is the dumb animal?

MIB

Edited by MIB

Guest lightheart

It is a vivid image isn't it ? My sense of the conversation was that the Seminoles were fighting the army using guerilla warfare tactics.( HAHA no pun intended really. It just sounded comical when I wrote it.) The Sasquatch would step in sometimes with assistance. My thought is that maybe they retreated to the Everglades along with the Indians and have begun to move back up into other areas such as the St. Johns watershed over an extended period of time. Maybe the protected habitat has encouraged them to move throughout the state.

You've got to be freakin' psychic. Take a gander at the chart I just put up in the Northeast sigthings thread....

I believe that scientists are beginning to agree that the introduction of early humans to a previously undisturbed environment caused, or significantly contributes to, mega-fauna die-off.  It would be logical that a big ape, even a smart big ape, would not immune to this. It could be that Native Americans had reduced the bigfoot population to a very low number pre-Columbus.

Then the Europeans come and the pressure is on the Indians.  They have massive die-offs due to wars and new diseases, thus opening up some breathing space for Bigfoot, particularly in remote areas like the Pacific northwest.  The Europeans don't expand to fill the void quickly or completely, so there are relatively few encounters.  

How long does it take for an animal population to bounce back from near extinction levels?  

I once read a report where an Indian elder claimed that the squatch were hit harder by European diseases than his own people were.

I would say that if alleged squatch numbers were on the rise, then the probability of the remains of one being found due to natural or accidental expiration would have to increase in proportion. And since that event has not happened, then I am going to with no. The same goes for concrete evidence of the existence of said, alleged squatch.

So,more hogs = more Bigfoots? Not sure that I follow...

"  I mean it is quite difficult to study an animal that is actively attempting to NOT let you study it. "JiggyPotamus

Please name one. Please name one animal that you KNOW is actively aware that you are studying it and has consciously gone out of its way to knowingly foil your attempts to study it.  Please, just one. In the history of Natural History please name one animal that has displayed that level of intelligence. 

With regard to hogs, I think you have answered your own questions.  More hogs --> more food -->  more bigfoot.  More bigfoot --> more bigfoot bodies --> more hog food.  Bigfoot eat the hogs.  Hogs eat the dead bigfoot, IF you assume that bigfoot are just animals.

Thing is they're not animals, they are, as all pre-European cultures state, a people.  Whether or not they bury their dead is an open question in my mind, but when it comes to evading study, compare them to the more elusive aboriginal cultures and you'll be closer to the mark.

SSR Team

I haven't seen anything whatsoever to suggest they are, not that i'd have the first clue how we could even attempt to answer the question with anything resembling accuracy at all anyway.

After reading some of the recent posts by Rex, I have been giving some thought to the wildlife management areas that have been created around the US. Often they are located adjacent to state or national parks creating extensive habitat for many species. The expressed purpose is to preserve forested land areas for animals such as deer,wild hogs, elk, wild turkeys etc. whose numbers were dwindling about one hundred years ago. All of these animals have made robust comebacks due to plentiful food and adequate habitat.

I am pondering the idea that the Sasquatch may have also been dwindling in number about one hundred years ago, but due to the protection efforts being made on behalf of the other species the big guys could  now be on the increase.

Some have suggested that the special wildlife areas may even be a quiet government program to protect or study the Sasquatch themselves. I don't think I could rule that out. But even if this program was not targeting the Sasquatch perhaps the wilderness protection initiatives have inadvertently benefited them 

So is the Sasquatch population on the rise?

It is around here!  The BFRO researcher called it a "flap."  We are down river from the Mohican State Forest. 

We've lived here 14 years and all of the sudden, it showed up here!  I had no idea about it before.  Thought maybe they were only in the great north west, but not here.  Then it showed up once that I saw, a year ago some others saw it, then my friend saw it in our backyard.  She made a report but it's not published yet.  Then I started talking to the neighbors and our local farmer and his friend heard something they have never heard before when they were turkey hunting about the same time I saw it.  Then the other neighbor said that his kids were scared by a big howl that sent two dogs running for the house.  It all started making sense, or craziness!  When the BFRO said that there have been several sightings in the area and they are currently researching this area, I just about lost my mind.  WOW!  As I have said in other threads, I am a nightowl with an easy work schedule, so I have been sitting out here for years without ever hearing anything like I heard two weeks after I saw it.  my brother in law was with me. 

So yeah, it's showing up more here! 

Actually, in  my opinion, it feels like they area gone now.  I have the valley back to myself.  So maybe it's a spring/summer thing and they vacate in the cold weather.  Yes, I made peace with it all about a month ago, but it really feels free tonight.  It feels like it used to before I knew that they were here.  So, maybe they are gone now, or maybe they are not around me know.  All Irish intuition right now!  lol

SSR Team

opinion is the key.....

No, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.

It's the ones that are informed that are key, and I can't see how any can be regarding this question.

I am not sure though with so many places being overrun by us humans, the number of sightings could just be attributed to them not having as many places to themselves.

OP an increase in bigfoot numbers is dependant upon the bigfoot power bosses and whether they desire to secede parts of their territory to other lesser bigfoots.

No, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.

It's the ones that are informed that are key, and I can't see how any can be regarding this question.

I'll agree that there's a huge deficit of information, but there is some information, however slight.  It is dangerous to read too much into it.

While US population was smaller in the past, Americans were outdoors much, much more up until the post civil-war era as they needed to farm and hunt to sustain themselves.  That outdoor saturation would arguably generate more sightings/encounters than now, when we're all in little boxes.

Reported encounters are far greater now than in the past - yes, the ease of reporting and the reduction in barriers to reporting cause part of this.  But it does not necessarily account for the entire difference.  

Also, increased numbers and expanding/recapturing range would be consistent w/other critters. I had someone recently tell me that we have at least one wolf and a mountain lion in the mid-Hudson valley fof the last five years.  

So, some evidence, however slight, of possible increasing BF population.  Probably enough to give us probable cause to believe it, although you can't fault anyone who considers the same information and is not convinced.