Sasquatch Soup - What Does It Take To Bring Hairy In?

Hammer102492

What brings SSQ into your space?

Here's my recipe for Sasquatch Soup:

• The bottom of a small valley surrounded by wilderness, trees, water and wildlife
  • A smoker making bacon or kilbasi
  • a campfire with friends, food and fun
  • good music that lifts your spirits and the ones around you
  • a warm evening
  • a full moon
  • good energy

This is a fun thread to share what made good soup for you if you have had an experience. 

Thanks!

Hammer

Edit:  Add a dash of percussion.  My instrument of choice is a plastic spice bottle with rice or mustard seed in it.  :music:

Hello Hammer102492,

Nevermind Sasquatch, that's a soup recipe that would bring ME into your space. I mean your only describing a piece of heaven there ya know.

RIGHT you are hiflier!   It's awesome here.  Wish I had another squatcher / night owl with me on the porch now.  It's breezy but still not too cold. 

Ironically the song I'm listening to now, is "tree top flier" by Stephen Stills.  Reminded me of your name.

You are welcome to it!  We enjoy it.  I am very lucky.  We just decided what we wanted and stuck to it with a few variations.  We don't have children and my husband works at home.  So we can live in this rural beauty.  I am one phone call away from a great local job.  No more traveling to Cleveland if I get it.  Also no more late night squatch hours either!  

Bottom line is that I'm porch settin now waiting for a big weather system to come in. My husband did a "I told you so" when he said that there was one more warm night of the season to be had.  I am thankful he is right, (as usual).  :)

It could get rough here in Ohio.  Torcon may be a factor.  It's exciting.  I'm a weather spotter.  They need us in this rural area.   

So, hiflier, as Jimi Hendrix would say, "Have you ever been experienced?"  well I have

If so, what were the ingredients that made it happen?

Thanks for responding.  ;)

Edited by Hammer102492

It's all about food.  Noise may attract them, but food brings them in.

Cooking something savory without scorching it.  Bacon, fish in butter, etc.

Having a small animal that they might be able to swipe and eat.

Engaging in a food-gathering activity such as fishing or foraging, especially if you seem to be gathering some sort of food somewhere or in some way that they were either previously unaware of, or from a source that they consider their own.

They never seem to be quite sure what we're doing sometimes or how we're doing it.  I actually believe that if you are, appear to be, or convincingly pretend to be, gathering food in a way they can't understand from a distance, they'll come in to investigate when they get a chance to try to figure it out.

Hello JDL,

I couldn't agree more myself. It is the curiosity factor that is inherent in all creatures that keeps them alive including Man. Finding out everything about one's environment is a necessary attribute stemming from the very basic fight or flight survival instinct. It has evolved in Humans to include searching for killer asteroids and the curing of diseases in it's more sophisticated form.

Curiosity in the case of the Sasquatch is no different. It can mean learning as a tool to survive but can be their downfall. Drawing them in based on that attribute alone can lead them into an ambush as well. Being tuned to intruders and hunting in pairs or groups is their best defense IMHO as it is ours.

A member here, Norseman was thinking of hunting them solo on horseback and I advised him that I considered it quite unwise. It also crossed my mind at the time that Sasquatch could be drawn in on the curiosity factor if two or three went on horseback and when in a clearing they would alternate mounting and dismounting for no reason at all. Sometines one of them, some times two, but never all three. And then talking and laughing in between.

Just spend about 20 minutes doing that without going anywhere. A simple thing to do but Sasquatch would not understand what was going on and might be strongly inclined to watch or approach. Especially if none of the "riders" looked at the woods.

Just my two rocks here of course.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

Just be careful folks....I have and always will have a huge problem with using food as a bait, if you have bears around you will attract them!!

If you get yourself maimed or killed oh well but if others get hurt or your actually habitating a bear to humans as a food source....shame on you if it results in someone else getting hurt or the bear being killed.....

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm

I speak from experience on this issue and it can be very dangerous and unnerving when you take all the proper precautions in bear country, while camping.

That's my public service announcement for today :)

Well, sorry for all the bear fanciers out there but I reserve the right to cook out doors and if it comes down to a bear or me, well the bear will be better off walking away hungry--especially if my children are nearby. Of all the creatures a mother bear should understand not to mess with the young ;)

Guest JiggyPotamus

I prefer chicken noodle soup. Maybe with some crackers as well. Pretty good, as long as it isn't too salty. Oh, you meant something else. I do not really get out into the woods to try any of these types of methods very often, and when I have gone, we have pretty much just done what we would normally do.

Haven't really had any action at night in the campsite, aside from some noises that may have been sasquatch, but I am not certain.

My one sighting on one of these trips occurred during daylight hours, almost immediately after reaching our campsite in a pretty secluded area. I have always been an advocate of cooking food to draw them in, but once I realized that this method has been tried numerous times, and has failed, I revamped my philosophy.

Now I believe that no matter what one does to draw them in, it is not likely to work the majority of the time. The reason for this is scarcity. There are usually just not any sasquatch who hang around the area, if they were there to begin with. I also think that certain areas that receive sasquatch action on research trips may have been areas where the animals were just passing through, or staying for a short period of time. It is hard to say though, since we don't really know whether they live in one place for extended periods of time.

I would hypothesize that they do not, given their predatory nature, which probably means they are somewhat nomadic, following the food sources. But then again, there are many areas with game throughout the year, more or less. But given that sasquatch are also intelligent, somewhat humanlike, I wonder if they have a tendency to settle down with their families. 

Anyway, that is not really relevant to the discussion I suppose. I do look forward to reading others' responses, to see what techniques they have had the most success with. I used to also think that drawing them in via noises, music, or whatever else, was a good idea, and maybe it is, but recently I've been thinking this is a shot in the dark as well.

And then there is the idea of drawing them in itself. It may be a good one, but how close will sasquatch actually come? Certainly not close enough to be seen in the open most of the time. I think that drawing them in should be coupled with a good camera net, a net that surrounds the entire area. But not looking into the campsite, and not necessarily looking towards the edge of the campsite. I think the cameras should be placed to capture anything approaching the campsite. It might depend on how close the animals need to get to see what is going on though. Another good idea is to refrain from setting up the trail cameras until right before you intend to start the night's research, just to make sure they aren't alerted to their presence. I think it would be easier for them to notice a camera in the daylight than in the darkness of night.

And it is not that they know what a camera is, but I think they understand that it is not supposed to be there, and that probably makes them weary. Especially if they have figured out that people are out there looking for them. Hearing people make the vocalizations that they make, it might not be so difficult to put two and two together. 

Sorry I don't really have any firsthand experience with many of the methods of drawing them in, but I look forward to seeing what works for everyone else. And again, there are probably many, many more failures than successes in this aspect of research.

Well, sorry for all the bear fanciers out there but I reserve the right to cook out doors and if it comes down to a bear or me, well the bear will be better off walking away hungry--especially if my children are nearby. Of all the creatures a mother bear should understand not to mess with the young ;)

:good:  Darn right.   During the 3-4 weeks where there's the most activity in my favorite location, I have a .44 magnum, a bear tag, and a couple friends who are fond of bear pepperoni.  

What's been in camp is no dang bear. 

MIB

I have a friend who always cooks up a pork roast on our yearly drinking errrr...camping trip.

This sure works to draw humans in. Maybe it will work for Sasquatch as well!

Hello Norseman,

You know? I'm doin' OK. Buried up to my eyeballs in data but there's a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. This is a good thread to hash out YOUR ideas it would seem. What do you think of drawing our Hairy friend in with a bit of odd behavior. Maybe something it's not seen Humans do after observing us for thirty years or so LOL. Walking on our hands would probably flip them out.

Edited by hiflier