Sasquatch Soup - What Does It Take To Bring Hairy In?

Hammer102492

I don't like giving up the initiative which has been debated extensively on Project Grendel.

I would prefer to take Grendel by surprise and I think we have many cases in which this has happened.....Roe, Patterson, etc.

The Bobo rave/whooping/wood knock approach may illicit more responses..... But a clear shot?

That's all I am after.

Hello Norseman,

I'll say this, you're nothing if not consistent. Hope you get your opportunity and succeed. Since I've no more to say on the thread topic I'll be moving on. As always, good luck, and thanks for checking in.

I don't like giving up the initiative which has been debated extensively on Project Grendel.

I would prefer to take Grendel by surprise and I think we have many cases in which this has happened.....Roe, Patterson, etc.

The Bobo rave/whooping/wood knock approach may illicit more responses..... But a clear shot?

That's all I am after.

Well give us a heads up, so we can watch for the 'bear attack' report! Unless your going to go after a known single individual.

If there are bears in the area, there's less likelihood of squatch, in my opinion.  I don't think that they tolerate bears where they maintain their family groups.  At least I never saw bears in the two areas where I observed juveniles or the pregnant female.

I'm sure their forage radii overlap, so there's still risk.  Still, If I found an area where bears ideally should be, but aren't, I'd give it a second look.

Hello JDL,

There is a thread somewhere about that very point. Habitats are the same for both but If you are saying that Sasquatch are the dominant creatures in that bears are pushed out then I agree. I think that Sasquatch which seem to gather and hunt in groups will scare off the more solitary bear.

Hello Norseman,

I'll say this, you're nothing if not consistent. Hope you get your opportunity and succeed. Since I've no more to say on the thread topic I'll be moving on. As always, good luck, and thanks for checking in.

I have tried varmint calling in the past without a result.....so I guess I spoke hastily before as this would be giving away initiative.

An important element in the game of drawing them in is knowing they are there. If they have the drop on you then you might only get the slightest clues.  Passive tactics of making them curious but not letting on that you know might get you a sighting. If it weren't for the woodknocks heard at various ranges, and placed recorders within a certain radius around our campsite there were many times where my group might have been completely oblivious to what was going on just beyond our perception or even within camp while we slept or were away for a couple hours.

Guest Boolywooger

@Southernyahoo if folks made a habit of dropping a digital recorder near their camp they would be amazed at what goes on while they sleep.

After summer 2012, I try to keep a recorder running 24x7.  The most interesting stuff I recorded was during daylight hours.   Some I still can't identify with certainty.  That piques my curiosity and keeps me engaged.   Setting one just far enough out of camp to catch things that camp background noise obscures is not a bad idea.

MIB

I've considered placing one or more cameras in a perforated box with a hinged lid, and wired so that the cameras would be activated when the box is opened.  A mouse/chipmunk or two in the box would serve as bait.  The researcher could make an obvious show of "catching" rodents and placing them in the box (they should actually already be in the box), then taking the box to a place, acting as if he is "hiding" it from other people.  Later the researcher should come back and retrieve the box, treating it as valuable, and taking it to an inaccessible location, such as inside a vehicle.

Repeating this behavior would presumably generate some pretty intense interest and a perception that there is a limited window of opportunity to access the box when hidden.  One could go so far as to have another researcher look for the box, perhaps finding and taking it, before the first researcher returns for it and is upset to find it missing.  The first researcher could then place it in a different hiding place the next time.

I think researchers should also consider some of the new concealed surveillance camera technology instead of the traditional game cams.  If bigfoot were simply an animal, the game cams would be completely appropriate, but if you want to catch images of sneaky people, you should consider using technology designed for that purpose.

Possible problem of cameras is the smell, for one thing. Best to use old film cameras, but yet I see no serious researchers going back to 35mm. There are too many stories of electronics and batteries going ka-plink.

Well, here is an idea that I posted a few years ago and do not know if anyone ever tried it, but it may be right up Norsemans alley as far as just gathering information in an area you are hunting for large game.

Secure a trailcam inside a backpack in such a way that it can be armed and used after setting the pack down or hooking it onto a branch of a tree. After a successful shot, set up the backpack on a tree limb or ground and have the camera face the gut pile. Before gutting it, arm the camera and when you are done, leave the backpack there to monitor the gut pile. Come back the next day and retrieve the pack and see what showed up on the trailcam. I have had about 90 percent of the pile taken within 30mins. The most likely culprits are going to be known animals, birds, etc, but if there are bf in the area, the shot should get their attention just like it does with wolves, coyotes, bear, and a host of other animals. The worst case scenario is you know what animals are in the immediate area and you may have to leave the liver and heart for best results.

I still wonder what got to that specific pile so darn quickly and ate half of a tenderloin that I inadvertently had cut out when gutting the deer......it still pisses me off that I made that mistake. I also think it would be important to do this as casually as possible because there is a chance that you are bieng observed while cleaning and packing the animal. If anyone has tried this or does try it, please PM me with what happened. It is too late for me to try it this year, but I will next year during bow season. UPs