Sasquatch Soup - What Does It Take To Bring Hairy In?

Hammer102492

All I know is that nine weeks in the field were easier when everybody was required to wear charcoal lined chem warfare pants and jackets all the time.  Heck, they even cut down on troop flatulence complaints.

God Bless You JDL and your service to our country!  I am free to talk on bigfoot forums and not have to worry about wearing a berka.  I wish all women had this freedom.  Thank you for keeping it for us all!

At this point my field operations, report work and possible interactions in the state of Michigan { as well as some fellow researchers within my state } seem to point to consistent operation within a area that is suitable for habitation at least through out the warmer months. 

I might add that I am planning a few winter projects in few new areas to try and get a better view of winter month movement or a lack there of.

In the case of finding a zone of consistent habitation I have found it almost completely based on the four factors of area size, forest composition, consistent food resources and the inability of human movement within the select area.

I am of the mind to believe the reason that past and most current efforts have failed or where/are not effective long enough to produce good evidence is because the underestimation of and lack of consideration of how the sasquatch may view us.

For instance, many researchers wear camo and stalk around through the forest trying to get that photo or track them to a bedding site, this s a rather predatory behavior we exhibit and is probably makes most researchers something to avoid.

My mix for sasquatch soup is to get deep into an area with all 4 factors I mentioned above and camp , sit around the fire with no other lights and make some odd noises like blow on a kazoo, bang on a metal washtub, bust up fire wood without an axe, make funny friendly sounding voices or anything strange.  Be different than the average hunter or camper and be as considerate and nonthreatening as possible.  We rarely do vocalizations and night hikes, we do most of out trekking in the day time looking for tracks and other passage evidence.

I think that to them we are a bore or a pain most of the time for them so we have to break that mold to get their attention and hold their curiosity. Through my own experience I am convinced this methodology works.

Nathan, we've talked,  You are welcome to our place to do a little investigation about their winter movements.   Basically, we'll just make a big monster bonfire in the winter, smoke pork all afternoon, have fun and see what happens.  We don't  have to call it.  If it's around, it will show up, if it's still there.

Edited by Hammer102492

I think that what is working for NAWAC is long(ish)-term immersion in habitat.

I think animals shun any *new* human activity.  We're viewed, correctly, with suspicion.  Animals only start sidling up to our business when first, there is something they want that we have and second, the intrusion has been there a (relatively) long time, with nothing happening warranting flight or avoidance.

Animals being individuals, comfort zones of course will differ.  Just like bears/chimps/gorillas vary in aggressiveness/human tolerance, other animals do too.

I read your message on my phone a few days ago because I get copies of postings, which are fun to ready before I can respond.

So I thought about what you said and thought about how that made sense.   It's like having a cat that will only come around when you are settled to them.

When things are quiet and peaceful, everything else around you, has room to play.  

One of my favorite sayings came from a poster I have, "You  have to have room to let the Angels play."

Here's where I may differ from your opinion slightly.  I think new activity spurred a sighting.  It was the first time we had a krewe at the new campsite.  Big Hairy showed up and was seen to a friend of ours. 

It's a lesson in listening to the quiet people in your group.   We / I didn't listen to her and four other people could have seen BF right next to where we were camped.

It was new activity for that site on our property. 

Hairy showed up in the field when we were looking at the Milky Way stars.  She was looking at the Big Dipper in the opposite direction, thinking that we played a trick on the new girl. 

So, in this case, new activity got it curious or wishing that we wouldn't block it's deer path.   It got busted in the field by Jen and stood silently in the fog and 4 foot weeds. 

Edit.  tying to figure out how to make what I just spent a good 30 minutes writing to post, just disappeared.    Sorry for the distraction.

That was some good communication going on, but alas, it's gone.

I can tell you what I think was going on at our place this summer in the song list tonight:  You'll have to check out the campfire chat.

In summary, I can say that it was the summer of Sasquatch for me.  It turned me inside out.  What the heck is going on here?

So many signs this spring / summer / fall. 

I wasn't looking for it, it just showed up.

Edited by Hammer102492

I mean seriously, what does it do to you when BF shows up in your neighborhood, let alone in your backyard? 

How do you get your head around that? 

Thank God that all you BF people are here as a support group.

Hence, the inspiration for the thread.    How did you feel when you first saw / hear SSQ?  What does it take to bring it in? 

I have a feeling that "Sasquatch soup" is more about feeling than science.  The only science comes in when you see a pattern of what was going on at the time.

But, Sasquatch soup's main ingredient I believe uses some Irish and some German ingredients.  The Irish is the feeling and the German is discernment.  I am fortunate to have 50% of both in my blood.

Thank you all for your indulgence and posts.

:)

Edited by Hammer102492

You're right.  They are stalkers and they understand and recognize stalking behavior.  Heck, their young probably play-stalk each other for years growing up, just like any other predator.  They outclass us in this respect and all they have to do is sidestep us as we go by.

But there are a couple of products out there that may increase the chance of an encounter.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/11/21/bacon-deodorant-and-fried-chicken-scented-candles-reek-genius/

I believe your stalking concept.  I have felt that, although my husband said, "I don't think they are stalking you." 

And I said, how about the time we came home from out of town and I didn't porch set, thinking in my mind that I'm just going to bed and I'm safe in my house and you can't get me, because my home life had to be more important, and then 15 minutes after I went to be a rock was thrown at my bedroom window right where my head was. 

The cat flew off the bed, I woke up my husband.  

That was after two nights howls next to my tv/couch window that sent the cat running again.   It came in over the TV.   I ran up to bed and left town for a few days, come back and I get a rock at my window.  Sure, it was a bunch of maybes, but when you have SSQ fever as the researchers put it, because you found out that it's living in your neighborhood, you start paying attention and figuring things out.  But who really knows?  We have major things going on here, confirmed by several people. 

I have to wonder if one were to stay in the wilderness for years with no consideretion for hygiene, if their smell blended in with the environment (basically if they stunk like an animal), if they wouldn't have better luck(???)

I can tell you when the farmers put fertilizer on these fields around us, that the smell is large  I light an incense stick if I have one.  Country smells abound.  I wouldn't think twice about smelling things around me.

One last comment as I continue to read the posts....

I hope that the "Sasquatch Soup" thread does not become a  recipe to bring them in for a kill shot.  I'll clam up and not share anything on these forums if I think it would bring in a BF killer. 

Not happening at my place.  And we own plenty of guns in these parts. 

Edited by Hammer102492
  • Upvote 1

Guest lightheart

Hey Hammer, I like hearing about your campfires and songs. I gave you a little shout out in the thread New Approach to Paleoanthropology.

Is a dead body worth more than a living?

Short of talking ole squatch into a press conference? Absolutely yes.

It's my opinion that a species unknown to science living in a ever shrinking habitat is a very precarious place to be.

I do not advocate a squatch hunting season, but we desperately need a type specimen. After that? They should be fully protected.

I started project Grendel to discuss and put into action various methods in which to procure a type specimen. It's the quickest means to an end. With that end hopefully making a better place for the species as a whole.

Hey Hammer, I like hearing about your campfires and songs. I gave you a little shout out in the thread New Approach to Paleoanthropology.

r

Very cool! Thanks for the heads up, I will have to check that out after T-giving. :)