Bf And Gravel Pits - Is There A Connection?

JanV

In a couple of recent threads there has been commentary on a possible connection between BF and gravel pits. What (and why) would this be? Is this a potential untapped research opportunity or is someone already exploiting this? Any results worth sharing?

SSR Team

I wouldn't say they're common, but I've seen a fair few from WA.

Rational possibilities:

1) Minerals for themselves. 

2) Minerals attracting the critters they prey on.  

3) An opening in the tree canopy so their vocalizations carry further.

4) Us, as entertainment.

There DOES seem to be an elevated number of gravel pit / rock quarry sightings.   However, there are also quite a few hunter sightings, fisherman sightings, and wood cutter sightings.   It's possible anything we do could attract their curiosity.   If you're a hunter, you know you see more when you're standing still and what you're looking for is moving than when you're moving and your potential quarry is standing still.   It may be that in such places, we're standing still thus able to observe what's around us all the time, just not noticed because our own motion provides too much optical chaos to process.

MIB

BFF Patron

I say animal ambush sites, fresh ground water infiltrates quarries/pits, possible wetlands nearby with rare sources of riparian flora perhaps.

Definitely the rocks and minerals themselves around seeps and such could be at work.  Possible avian nesting sites, cliffs, ground birds, water birds and such. 

Possibly other unknown uses, who knows.  Having examined a fair few thousand reports I would say it is at a higher than chance level that sightings are so frequently mentioned so I

do not agree with BobbyO on this one......  but I don't disagree strongly enough to search all possible sightings out for such. 

Then again, maybe there are some ley-lines that magnetically recharge their proton packs (or day glo eyes) ; > }

Edited by bipedalist

The exposed rocks absorb heat during the day and radiate it at night.  If the pits are protected from the wind on three sides, the heat is even more effectively trapped.  At night they'll often be ten degrees or more warmer than the surrounding environment.

They're good nesting sites for birds, rodents, and reptiles with their own local food chain.  You'll see raptors hunting these areas too because they support both prey and thermals.  Also, the abandoned pits are often used as dumping sites, so there is sometimes refuse that supports an even larger population of insects, rodents, and the things that feed on them.

BFF Patron

And like I said in another thread, there is at least one set of bigfoot hairs in any abandoned nests nearby.........LOL.

I can say that a good share of the Michigan reports are within a mile or 2 of gravel pits.   

I think it may be that these areas attract deer, smaller mammals and reptiles as JDL stated above. 

The food is there and if you use heavy projectiles to drop game you have plenty of ammo LOL.

SSR Team

Absolutely there is, I found this..;)

post-136-0-58200300-1384966388_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

If the back country elsewhere is like that in this part of the US, gravel pits tend to be in secluded areas, often along rivers for river gravels. Both increase the likelihood of sightings because that sort of place is BF habitat. The heat retention factor at night has some merit as well as the fact that in many areas, gravel pits or rock quarries are probably one of the few places in a heavily forested area that is open and receives a lot of sunshine. The only other open places are roads and clear cuts which BF would avoid due to lack of cover. For sure gravel pits and quarries have road access which encourages human access and chance for sightings. Gravel pits in populated areas are soon shut down due to the noise complaint and dust issues. So basically I think there may be several factors associated with gravel pits or rock quarries that increase the likelihood of sightings. That does not necessarily suggest that BF like to hang out there but that cannot be ruled out either. We just do no have enough data at this point.

It seems to me, though, that if Bigfoot were using quarries as opportunities for minerals, heat or food sources, that other large mammals would do the same thing. I can't seem to find any evidence suggesting this is the case anywhere though. 

SSR Team

Sorry, you were actually being serious ?

How about this.

http://srd.alberta.ca/RecreationPublicUse/PublicLandClosures/documents/TempClosureMap-BatemanCreekGrizzly-Oct10-2013.pdf

Or this.

http://tradtalk.com/mkportal.php?ind=gallery&op=foto_show&ida=156

I'm sure if you really looked you could have found exactly what I just did within the wonderful google search engine, and I'm sure there's plenty more as the above took me less than a minute of searching to find..;)

Edited by BobbyO

I did look, thank-you kindly, and did not find what I was looking for. And I don't call what you have provided as evidence of large mammals habitually using gravel pits.  I'll look again since you are convinced that there will be ample evidence to suggest this. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+large+mammals+frequent+gravel+pits%3F

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+large+mammals+use+quarries+for+food+sources+or+heat%3F

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quarries+large+mammals+

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+large+mammals+hunt+in+quarries%3F

Not seeing all that much there.  But please, explain to me where my Google-Fu is lacking.

Edited by dmaker