Bf And Gravel Pits - Is There A Connection?

JanV

SSR Team

Is there evidence to suggest that other large predatory mammals use gravel pits in this manner?

This is what you asked.

What part of someone shooting a bear in a gravel pit and various bears feeding on a carcass in very close proximity of one NOT evidence that animals, and large predatory ones, use gravel pits for whatever reason, in whatever manner ?

Can't we just have one thread on this forum for people to throw a few ideas and throw some thinking around without you chiming in seemingly every single time as someone that doesn't even believe they exist in the first place ?

Seriously, how or why are you even debating this gravel pit question and the possibility that there is a link between them and Sasquatches when you don't even believe Sasquatches exist in the first place ?

There is no point at all, it's insane and not only is it insane, it spoils decent threads time and time again.

From what I can glean from the sighting accounts, there may be just something about the need to find a vantage point to observe what is going on around. In flat, open country the highwall of a gravel pit might be the only physical feature in the landscape that offers that. These critters are supreme watchers of all things, and it appears to be a fundamental need.

@BobbyO. I was simply curious. It was an intriguing idea and sounded plausible that large mammals might use quarries in such a manner. I'd never heard of this, so it piqued my curiosity. That's all. Since a lot of what people report alleged Bigfoots to do mirrors that of other large North American mammals, I thought worthwhile to ask if the suggested use of quarries was actually supported by evidence. Regardless of whether it's an alleged Sasquatch or a bear, I was curious to see if this was a common pattern. That's all.   I'm not sure your two examples establish a pattern though.  I was hoping to find maybe some studies done on this specific theory. I was unable to find any.  

You can put down the pitchfork now.  :)

Edited by dmaker

If BF exists, it is a very very rare, secretive, (most likely primarily nocturnal) creature. I am intrigued with the idea that it may frequent certain types of locations where the researcher has a better than average chance of seeing one.

I don't think that small gravel operations are running 24/7 or outfit themselves with state of the art security systems. Do most even light the area at night? Assume woods and a river nearby.

So perhaps there is a "safe" time when it becomes attractive to BF?

Just pure conjecture at this point but are any researchers actively staking out a gravel pit? I have heard of cemeteries that are checked out at times.

Assuming you don't have one in your backyard leaving you messages, where would you mount a long term surveillance?

Edited by JanV

Interesting thread. First time I've ever seen this in print. There is a correlation. The opportunity is not untapped, and is exploited by those that truly know BF by spending lots of time in the field researching, not just showboating for TV or selling "expeditions". And as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."

I will post a pic or two of something I found near an old quarry two weeks ago.

Edited by Coonbo

In my forestry career I've been involved with lots of gravel pits.  About the only thing I've ever seen use them are bank swallows.  We always required that gravel pits be rehabilitated and returned to it's natural state so that wildlife WOULD return.

t.

Bigfoots like to throw rocks at people and other animals, so maybe some pop in at night to get more ammo. But all those people, people vehicles and pe'p' activity just rubs bigfoot the wrong way. We must gross them out or they'd be hugging us more.

@BobbyO. I was simply curious. It was an intriguing idea and sounded plausible that large mammals might use quarries in such a manner. I'd never heard of this, so it piqued my curiosity. That's all. Since a lot of what people report alleged Bigfoots to do mirrors that of other large North American mammals, I thought worthwhile to ask if the suggested use of quarries was actually supported by evidence. Regardless of whether it's an alleged Sasquatch or a bear, I was curious to see if this was a common pattern. That's all.   I'm not sure your two examples establish a pattern though.  I was hoping to find maybe some studies done on this specific theory. I was unable to find any.  

You can put down the pitchfork now.   :)

http://webapps8.dnr.state.mn.us/mcv_pdf/articles/1474_That_Old_Gravel_Pit:_Living_Space_for_Wildlife%3F.pdf

Page 23, Right hand column.  You might also look up some of the mentioned references.

This is what you asked.

What part of someone shooting a bear in a gravel pit and various bears feeding on a carcass in very close proximity of one NOT evidence that animals, and large predatory ones, use gravel pits for whatever reason, in whatever manner ?

Can't we just have one thread on this forum for people to throw a few ideas and throw some thinking around without you chiming in seemingly every single time as someone that doesn't even believe they exist in the first place ?

Seriously, how or why are you even debating this gravel pit question and the possibility that there is a link between them and Sasquatches when you don't even believe Sasquatches exist in the first place ?

There is no point at all, it's insane and not only is it insane, it spoils decent threads time and time again.

Call the man with the truck.  It's time to pump the skeptic tank.

• Upvote 1

Thanks JDL, I look forward to reading that. 

Thanks again, JDL. That was an interesting read, and it does indeed lend support to the theory of mammals using gravel pits in ways suggested in this thread.

Edited by dmaker

SSR Team

http://webapps8.dnr.state.mn.us/mcv_pdf/articles/1474_That_Old_Gravel_Pit:_Living_Space_for_Wildlife%3F.pdf

Page 23, Right hand column.  You might also look up some of the mentioned references.

Yeah but that aside JDL, and the shooting of a Bear and the multiple Grizzly's feeding on a carcass close to one found with a simple 5 second google search, where actually is this evidence that predators use these areas ?

Here are a couple of pics I took at an old quarry on Nov. 1st of this year.  This is within a 75 mile radius of Chattanooga, TN.  There have been many sightings in the area within a half mile of this location and several concentrated about three hundred yards to the SW of this spot.  I looked on a topo map and noticed that this old quarry was shown, so this was the first place I went and found after looking around the actual sightings location.  I did some research and found that the quarry hadn't been in operation since the early 1940's.  Leading into a draw just downslope from the quarry, I found this enormous "X" formation.  The placement of the pieces that it took to make this formation, and the number of them, make it unlikely that this was a natural occurrence.

IMG_20131101_123936_382_zps57384860.jpg

Here is the west end of the formation, partially hidden in the previous pic:

IMG_20131101_124138_084_zpsabf5110a.jpg