Bf Cameos In Literature

LeafTalker

I was reading a book by Anne Lamott this summer, and in it, she tells a story that, to me, yelled "Sasquatch people" -- although she doesn't appear to recognize they were involved in her story in any way.

She was walking with her dog in the foothills of some mountains in California -- I forget where exactly -- and she reported that her dog suddenly appeared to be missing, and no amount of calling brought the dog back. She mentions that this was very unusual, and it caused her a lot of worry and concern.

After a long-ish period -- somewhere between one hour and several hours -- the dog reappeared, and its face and muzzle were covered with dirt. 

I can't remember exactly where I've read about that happening to a dog that encountered a Sasquatch person, but I know it's been reported somewhere.  

Has anyone else come across references to Sasquatch behavior in their general reading -- references where the story-teller appears not to have any acquaintance with Sasquatch, but all your alarms start to go off, saying that's what it's really about (or could be about)?

I'm not talking about hunting forums here; I know it happens there a lot.  :) 

Just curious to know whether there are any "favorites" out there. 

People have reported their dogs disappearing in just this way and reappearing in the same condition in areas where BF are frequently seen, and where the reporters know their dogs -- and BF -- well enough to have strong suspicions about the company their dog was keeping when they returned in this condition.

Sorry I don't remember where I read this/these reports (altho I think it might have been right here somewhere -- perhaps someone else will remember).

Ok, but that is pretty thin. Does the dog smell funny afterward? Ok, so it found a dead animal and rolled in it...

Its too thin unless you can show lots of dogs, same area, show up later etc.

Thanks, Wag. But this thread isn't about dogs, and it's not about "thinness" or "thickness" of anything.

It's about reading something in mainstream literature -- that is, literature that's not specifically about BF -- that causes you to raise an eyebrow. 

It's okay if it doesn't raise your eyebrow. I'm curious about the person who was doing the reading, and his (or her) eyebrow.

And there's no agenda. This is not another let's-argue-about-existence/quality-of-evidence thread. (Should I have said that right off?) So critiques of the responses are not appropriate. (Is that clearer?)

This is a critique-free zone!

I know we're not used to that here, so maybe this will be good practice for us.

Don't forget Teddy Roosevelt's "Bauman" account.

Also, some people think there's a reference in Jack London's "The Call of the Wild".

Can't think of others right off.

MIB

Call of the Wild? Cool. I've never heard that before! 

Do you remember what chapter the passage is in?

(No matter if you don't... I think I read that book in high school, like many of us do, but I think I'm gonna read it again! Thanks!)

P.S. I think I've read those passages from Teddy Roosevelt's memoirs, thanks to this site. Pretty compelling stuff (to me).

Edited by LeafTalker

Sometimes it's far too easy to read sas into stuff we read, hear and see. We seem to naturally attuned to digression onto the subject.

For me the big test was Paulides 'Missing 411' books. Some of the incidents were obviously BF related whilst some seemed to have a potentially more mundane explanation.

Here is Scotland we have many accounts and stories of 'Am Fear Laith Mor' or the 'Big Grey Man' of Ben MacDhui in the Carngorm Mountains but despite these encounters sounding very much BF related it seems much more likely that the phenomena known as the 'Brocken Spectre' is at play here.

Sometimes it's far too easy to read sas into stuff we read, hear and see. We seem to naturally attuned to digression onto the subject.

For me the big test was Paulides 'Missing 411' books. Some of the incidents were obviously BF related whilst some seemed to have a potentially more mundane explanation.

Here is Scotland we have many historical, documented accounts of 'Am Fear Laith Mor' or the 'Big Grey Man' of Ben MacDhui in the Carngorm Mountains but despite these encounters sounding very much BF related it seems much more likely that the phenomena known as the 'Brocken Spectre' is at play here.

I brought that up a few months ago after reading The Call of the Wild. I will try and find the chapter that I found pretty interesting as it really reminded me of bf.....almost like it was common knowledge way back in the early 1900,s.

Its in chapter 7 starting on page 192. The dog Buck is thinking back in time about a short legged hairy man that gathers shell fish by the sea and keeps an eye on everything around him while ready to run like the wind....etc.

The book is a wonderful read and I was surprised when I read these few paragraphs that included the hairy man. What was the author describing if not a bf? Prehistoric man?

@Mark: That's interesting, Mark. I had no idea there were any narratives about BF (or possible BF-related phenomena) coming out of Scotland. That's pretty cool!!! Are the stories about the "Big Grey Man" available in translation? Is there a title you could recommend? I would love to read it.  

@UPs: Thanks! I figured some of this had been discussed before, but my memory is terrible, and I wasn't sure. Chapter 7, eh? Can't wait!!!! 

Edited by LeafTalker

Call of the Wild? Cool. I've never heard that before! 

Do you remember what chapter the passage is in?

(No matter if you don't... I think I read that book in high school, like many of us do, but I think I'm gonna read it again! Thanks!)

P.S. I think I've read those passages from Teddy Roosevelt's memoirs, thanks to this site. Pretty compelling stuff (to me).

I hadn't noticed it in Call of the Wild but someone mentioned it on another thread.  They should get the credit.  I read it last in about 4th grade and I'm not going to admit now long ago that was.  But like you, it prompts me to re-read the book. 

Another reference is in "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz.

MIB

Wow! "The Long Walk"?????

This thread is turning out better than I had hoped..... 

And UPs gets that credit, we just discovered.  :) Thanks to both of you!

Another reference is in "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz.

MIB

Wow! "The Long Walk"?????

This thread is turning out better than I had hoped..... 

There is very great doubt as to the truthfulness of Rawicz's (ghost-written) book "The Long Walk", supposedly recounting the author's escape during World War 2 from a Soviet prison camp in Siberia, and on foot thence to India -- via the Himalayas and a short encounter with a pair of yetis. (The Wikipedia article re "Slawomir Rawicz" is shortish, but informative.)  The likelihood of the whole content of the book as presented, not being "kosher", would tend IMO to make everything in it, suspect. Of course one can -- as per the thread title -- just enjoy the book, regarding it as imaginative literature...

Thady -

That is good information but I think tangential to the OP's purpose.

As I understand it, the question asked was not to identify FACTUAL accounts, but instead to identify where references to possible BF exist in literature including fiction, not as a main part of the plot, but, as the OP said, cameo appearances within a larger work.   (You might read the original post and come do a different conclusion.)

MIB