Do Bigfoots Like To Play Jokes On Us?

georgerm

For a bigfoot who spends its evenings watching the goings on in a house from outside, a house slap may be nothing more than us slapping the TV.

The slaps have been said to coincide with the household winding down for the night and going to bed.  It may just be an attempt to stir things up for continued viewing.

With regard to play, a couple I know in Stone County, Missouri tell me that something regularly moves and hides the slates from their three tiered outside water feature.  The multilevel pond contains tadpoles, frogs, turtles, and other critters that hide between the slates.

As they describe it, something used to regularly disassemble the stacked slates (about two and a half pounds on the average).  Each time this happened, they would go out, pick up all of the slates and replace them.  As time progressed, they would find a few of the slates dozens of yards away from the pond.  Over the last year, whatever moves the slates has been kind enough to replace them with the exception of a single slate.  This slate is now hidden like an Easter egg, always in a different location on their property.  Sometimes, for example, in the woodpile, other times at the base of a tree and covered with leaves.  Each time, the wife searches for, finds the missing slate, and replaces it.  They perceive this as a game in which they participate.

I have to share this experience that a close friend - also a man that has seen BF a half dozen times or so during his 60 odd year - had when he was about ten years old. He grew up and still lives and hunts in the river bottoms not far from my home. The area has a long history of BF sightings by residents and hunters from outside the rural area.

When he was a kid, the family had milk cows that were turned out of the barn "lot" after the morning milking and allowed to graze in the adjoining woodlands. It was routinely his chore to find the cows in the woodlands during the late afternoon and herd them back into the fenced barn lot. It was pretty routine; he listened for the bells some of the cows wore around their neck, walked to them and turned them toward the barn. The cow knew the drill, so it was no big deal. The entrance to the barn lot was what we call a "wire gap", rather than a real gate. (It is simply two or three strands of barbed wire attached at one end to a fence post, then attached to two loose wooden poles to reach the next fence post. Loops of wire at ground level and near the top of the post were used to hold the second pole in place when the wire gap was pulled taunt.) 

The wire gap was closed each morning after letting the cows out because they had mules or horses which they fed in the barn, and did not allow them to run loose. One afternoon his father was at home and decided to go with him to bring the cows in. The father carried a gun of some kind in case they saw a game animal. They found the cows and began following them back to the barn. Before they got in sight of the barn, the father told the boy to trot ahead of the cows and unlatch the gap and pull it back against the fence out of the way of the cattle. My friend said he did exactly that, and then ran directly to the house - which was some distance from the gap - and went inside. He was inside just a short while when he and his mother heard the man "hollering and yelling". My friend ran back outside and saw his father opening the wire gap and the cows running wildly down the fence outside the lot. His dad's yelling had spooked the cows, but the two of finally got them inside the lot. As he and his father entered the lot he told the boy to latch the gap. He did, and when he turned around he saw his father placing the gun on the ground and removing his belt. The man was irate and said, "I told you to open that gap, boy!" My friend tried to tell him that he HAD opened the gate. My friend said he "got a good a-- whipping anyway".

Shortly after the incident the family began hearing "Boogers" around the place at night, and the yard dogs were frantically barking all night. One day, one of the family members noticed that the top strand of barbed wire around the back side of the cow lot was stretched and sagging noticeably. When his father went to check on it he noticed that in the woods outside the lot there was fresh dirt exposed beside a large "clay root" from a tree that had been blown down by the wind a year or so earlier. When he walked outside to look at it he found where a large animal had dug out a large hole in the damp earth and had used it as a bed.. The brush along the back side of the fence blocked the view of the "bed" from the barn and house. In the loose soil, he found the impressions of very large human like tracks, and brought the family to see them. His mother said she knew the boogers were back, and did not want my friend to go bring in the cows as late in the afternoon as usual.

When my friend told me of the incident several years ago he had, by that time, seen about four of the things in the bottoms since he was a boy. He told me that after the incident, he vowed he would shoot the first one he saw to get even with "them" for the whipping he got; but he changed his mind after seeing the first one.

Just a few years earlier, a rural area school would not allow any children who lived in the area to walk to school, and began picking them up on the buses. That was a result of one driver and a load of kids having seen a big hairy creature standing and watching kids unloading near the homes of some of them. 

SSR Team

For Sasquatches to play jokes on humans it would mean that Sasquatches would need to have the same kind of sense of humor as a human would have, having a sense of humor in the first place let alone one that is shared with what humans would interpret one seems a little far fetched to me.

To us, certain behaviour may be interpreted as playing jokes from a human perspective, but I highly suspect from a Sasquatch perspective, there is a very different reason for it.

Good story Branco.

BobbyO: To us, certain behavior may be interpreted as playing jokes from a human perspective, but I highly suspect from a Sasquatch perspective, there is a very different reason for it.

Let's assume you are correct, and we misinterpret bigfoot actions as humor when there is another purpose. Was bigfoot 'pranking' the farmers in Branco's story when it messed with the gate?

It's probably as much testing behavior as anything.  Change a condition and watch how things play out.  See how individuals react.  See how perceptive they are.  See if they can manipulate our environment without our realization that they are there.  Identify which humans are alert and perceptive and which are clueless.  Applied, this knowledge makes it easier for them to take advantage of pilferable food, water, and space on people's properties.

Really fine example JDL. They are testing which I termed joking, but the end game is to observe and manipulate the human for what ever reason the bigfoot has in mind. They control the game when we are on their turf.

BFF Patron

....what if there was a person who knew next to nothing about sasquatch, and never thought much about them at all. This person has a sighting in the woods. Since the person knows nothing about sasquatch, would they still interpret sasquatch behaviors in a human manner? Knowing what the animal is is one thing, but if they were afraid of the sasquatch, since they don't know what they're looking at, will this affect how the interpret the animal's actions? 

You mean like Justin Smeja?   j/k  

One of the things I like to think of as a joke is how they can use some of your attempts at pranking them and turn them around and use them as a medley thrown back at you.

Ex.  I use set bird calls and signals to alert if any are in zones I travel through.   Funny how they get thrown together in a medley at 3am some nights back on your turf (esp. diurnal bird song).  

Communication, pranking, testing, joking?   Call it what you like it is acute awareness.  

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 2

SSR Team

It's probably as much testing behavior as anything.  Change a condition and watch how things play out.  See how individuals react.  See how perceptive they are.  See if they can manipulate our environment without our realization that they are there.  Identify which humans are alert and perceptive and which are clueless.  Applied, this knowledge makes it easier for them to take advantage of pilferable food, water, and space on people's properties.

I'm with JDL.

Very plausible example there for me..

Just google apes and humor, the evidence is out there. Humor  may be shared by all the great apes.

I tried...........can you find an example?