Peter Byrne- Guilty Of Fraud

Drew

There were several charges, all of which they told me would be dropped (they were)  if I would plead guilty to one and make appropriate financial restitution, which, on the advice of my lawyers, I did.

I consider this settled. 

Yeah, debating "BF=Yes vs. BF=No" is one thing, but this is getting pretty collateral , and if we start trying to interpret if the U.S. Code and the C.F.R. were covered correctly with Mr. Byrne we are really sailing off into deep waters.  Do we really want to go there? I for one say let's have the decency and class to just note this event and move on. I don't know the gentleman, and I imagine most here do not either. I can't have any enthusiasm for an exercise like this, and I regret even contributing if it has stirred up further discussion we might not have had otherwise. I'm copping to that crime and I'm going away.

^^^^And that is why it is called a "rebuttable presumption." I consider it rebutted. 

(But Geogrgerm...err..he wrote this explanation was for "no one else" but you. You saw that, right? Just wanted to flag that, just in case. Thanks.) 

But what happened to:

"But, if Byrne were telling me his experiences in the field and requiring me to take his word for something he could not independently verify...well, sorry, yes it would be something I would consider."  -WSA

Now personally I could not care less whether you believe him or not. What I find interesting is how quickly you dropped your own skeptical filter in this regard. It took one single letter forwarded to a public forum by someone other than the author. How is that independently verified in any way? I ask because you often talk of how valuable the BFRO witness database is and how people should be believed. Now I guess I can see how easily your hesitation to accept something  can be breached. 

True, and we now have an explanation of the circumstances surrounding those "shenanigans." I suppose the explanation will fall on deaf ears, as the intent is to smear the man's credibility to bolster another person's stance on the Bigfoot phenomenon. The fact his plight was posted publicly is indeed unfortunate, although it appears that it was a huge boon for those wishing to point out his situation in one area of his life to make a case regarding something completely unrelated.

I suppose when that's all you have, you use it.

Very well put.

True, and we now have an explanation of the circumstances surrounding those "shenanigans." I suppose the explanation will fall on deaf ears, as the intent is to smear the man's credibility to bolster another person's stance on the Bigfoot phenomenon. The fact his plight was posted publicly is indeed unfortunate, although it appears that it was a huge boon for those wishing to point out his situation in one area of his life to make a case regarding something completely unrelated.

I suppose when that's all you have, you use it.

So a convicted criminal, didn't do anything wrong, yep that is pretty much standard for most convicts.

Guest Darrell

^Same story I hear almost every day. I have never met a criminal who didnt believe he did anything wrong. Now Byne is a convicted criminal in the USA and has defrauded those of us who are US citizens of our hard earned money we pay in taxes.  Does anybody here think that is acceptable behaviour?

I know this much.....

Our debates here, nor a man's tax evasion has ANYTHING to do with the existence or non existence of Sasquatch.....

I'm not a big fan of Peter Byrne, mainly because he thinks shooting one is "criminal". Nor am I a fan of someone taking advantage of our welfare system. He may be telling the truth in his rebuttal letter, or he may not be, it really doesn't matter.

People like Dmaker or Drew? May be swayed by this bit of news and go from slightly skeptical to extremely skeptical. It's a opinion............nothing more. And everyone has a right to form their own opinions. And they also have the right to use public knowledge to sway other people's opinions.

But if a real animal exists out there? Today is the same day as yesterday, despite Peter Byrne's run in with the law. It still needs to eat and poop, find a mate and dodge humanity and stay warm........ nothing else really matters. 

dmaker.....I think it is appropriate for me to feel ashamed when I feel I've taken too much unwholesome interest in the misfortunes of others...whether they deserved their circumstances, or not. It is a wonderful self-motivator, and I like to employ it whenever I feel it is justified by my behavior.  I would feel the same no matter who was being discussed here. If you feel it is justified on your part in doing that, that is your choice, but I don't agree it is appropriate.

^ Who's talking about shame suddenly? I was simply noting how quickly you went from justified skepticism to complete acceptance. Based on something that you didn't even receive first hand no less. I just found that rather surprising ( given your vocation) and completely contradictory to what you had said just moments before. If I was ever in trouble I would sure want you to be my prosecutor or magistrate. :)

For the record, the man's legal issues have no bearing whatsoever on my position on bigfoot. People make mistakes all the time. Not my country, not my tax money. Not a member of my family or a close friend, so I don't have a huge vested interest in this bit of news. 

I don't personally believe there is an actual  bigfoot in any bigfoot story whether told to me by Al Capone's ghost or Mother Theresa.

Edited by dmaker

" It still needs to eat and poop, find a mate and dodge humanity and stay warm...."  Norseman

Sounds like me with a hangover...

Guest Darrell

My point in this, and maybe wasnt made to clearly, is that proponents are always quick to overlook certain character faults, be it dishonesty, narcissism, addictions, or anything else when it pertains to the bigfoot saints . If Disotell or Meldrum committed the same scientific fraud who would be forgiven and who would be burned alive on this forum? 

Dmaker... well , you asked what motivated me, and that was what it was. I tend to be very suspicious of myself when I find myself taking what I conclude is too much of an interest in the misfortunes of others. The culture at large has way too much of that for my taste, and I try to pull myself up short when I suspect I am participating in it.  I think I was. 

Don't get me wrong, if I were appointed to stand in judgment of Mr. Byrne, I would duly discharge that obligation. Doing it for sport or to make points on an internet board is something else all together, and I was starting to think this was all I was doing on this topic.   

Edited by WSA

My point in this, and maybe wasnt made to clearly, is that proponents are always quick to overlook certain character faults, be it dishonesty, narcissism, addictions, or anything else when it pertains to the bigfoot saints . If Disotell or Meldrum committed the same scientific fraud who would be forgiven and who would be burned alive on this forum? 

Right. And skeptics will throw out ANY evidence even if there is a parking ticket attached to it.......

And it doesn't stop here with this debate, it's found in almost every facet of our life. 

I think it's human nature.

Guest Darrell

I think it's human nature.

And see, thats why I think this whole phemonena is built by human nature. Trying to figure out where bigfoot really fits is what is difficult.