A Plan For Discovery

hiflier

Hello Wag,

I can tell your excited about this! And I really hate to be the one to deflate your enthusiasm it being such a rare thing and all. But one has to have a BF first before one can even determine the size and composition of the net.......sorry. Maybe you could bring the marshmallows? Zagnuts? Luck's Beans?.......with onions?

Edited by hiflier

Guest keninsc

That's the same thing I ran into when I was pondering the use of a snare. They don't make commercial traps large enough for a Bigfoot and I simply refuse to use steel jaw traps because I think they are inhumane. Then comes the issue if you snare one, then what? You have a very large and very strong and very pissed off Bigfoot on your hand along with his family unit.

Stuff could get real nasty real quick and sadly they might only find "evidence" of you later when they authorities go looking for you.

I recall we had a terrible accident at a plant I worked at when an employee was pulling into an aluminum can shredder. This shredder was designed for fire extinguisher cans, not soda cans. The report from OSHA read, and I quote from memory, "......evidence of the employee was found in the shredder bin. Positive ID of the victim is not possible." They didn't have DNA then.

Edited by keninsc

Hello keninsc,

Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen,huh? They end up wood knocking with your femur? Well.......that would be pretty bad there I guess. Suffice it to say the "Plan" won't be risking that. Instead we'll flush Sasquatch to the bottom of the slope and onto the road so Wag can take a measurement for the net ;)

Edited by hiflier

Guest keninsc

Hello keninsc,

Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen,huh? They end up wood knocking with your femur? Well.......that would be pretty bad there I guess. Suffice it to say the "Plan" won't be risking that. Instead we'll flush Sasquatch to the bottom of the slope and onto the road so Wag can take a measurement for the net ;)

That or you I get turned into Bigfoot pooh.

Edited by keninsc

hiflier, I understand what you're trying to do here, and like the way you think, but the idea of a large group in the normal mt terrain of the PNW (BC SW) is problematic, given how dense the forest really is. Attached are a few shots from my outing last Sunday, in very similar country:

post-23759-0-84042300-1395363453_thumb.j

post-23759-0-58027900-1395363471_thumb.j

post-23759-0-01441200-1395363492_thumb.j

Hello keninsc,

Yeah, ok. That would be the worst. But let's say that didn't happen. Let's say that the entire team would be equipped with thermal imagers. Not talking a hundred units of course- just five. One would be used by one of the five, aiming it up the slope and scanning the trees behing the advancing line, scanning side to side. two would be deployed in the line a quarter of the way in from the end trio at the left of the line, and at the right. This would put about this would mean the scanners could view the area inside and ahead of the "U" while having about a dozen people on each side of a thermal.

Depending on the density each could scan about a 150ft radial arc in front of the line. The remaining two thermals would be for scanning along the base of the slope by walkers. Anything coming down the slope toward the spotters might be picked up in time for cameras to be zeroed in.The folks coming down the slope may see nothing the entire time so it's going to be up to the spotters really to do the job of recording any encounters.

Edited by hiflier

Hello BC witness,

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for those. Sure places will be dense. There is latitude for such issues. This is why all data for such a venture needs to be done long before anyone ventures out. Maps, to include satellite, topo, Google Earth, etc, along with trail info and such along with gps and other resources. I'd have to go back to the OP to see if I covered that part or in a subsequent post but I think I did. The drivers don't have to cover every square inch IMO but they would have to somehow let their presence be known in advance so no bear surprises. 'Preciate the input and if the Olympic is half as beautiful as where you were then it'll be quite a treat. I have a feeling it is though :)

Guest keninsc

I think BC witness make a very valid point, I have hiked a bit in the PNW and it's some rough going in certain areas....in fact most areas where you're likely to encounter a Bigfoot. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to talk you out of it at all, just pointing out it's going to be one tough thing to pull off. I would also recommend that you have your people invest in radios and GPS gear that will allow them to track not only themselves but others on the drive line as well. That way they can see gaps and close them.

The infrared gear is a great idea as well, but it can get to be a hugely expensive proposition. I looked into the possibility of getting a small high resolution camera to mount on my hat that I could turn on and record what I was seeing and be hands free, but a good one with good memory can be really expensive too. 

Ok! One of us needs to win a large lottery so we can get some good gear. Let's all work on that!

"Ok! One of us needs to win a large lottery so we can get some good gear. Let's all work on that!"

Ken, that's my research plan! Sure can't afford to do much of this on my pension. I buy my ticket every draw, and here in Canada, we don't pay tax on the winnings :-)

Hello keninsc,

See? That's why I put this stuff up on the Forum- INPUT. I've said it so many times one person can't think of everything. Especially this person. So- a road. Above it- a parallel trail about a half mile in. Spread out on the road. Spread out on the trail. The trail hikers leave the trail nearly in unison and head for the road. Where this actually happens is a matter of researching ahead of time these road/trail setups. That's been the picture in my mind anyway. One just isn't going to take fifty people into terrain thats never been looked at. Afterall, ENJOYING the week that folks will be doing this part of the plan. Taking risks isn't.

Somehow having the group photos riddled with bandages wouldn't be a proper representation of what a good time everyone was suppose to have LOL. And the lottery? Aye lads, THERMALS ALL AROUND- ON ME!

Edited by hiflier

"Somehow having the group photos riddled with bandages wouldn't be a proper representation of what a good time everyone was suppose to have LOL. And the lottery? Aye lads, THERMALS ALL AROUND- ON ME!"

I wasn't trying to kill your buzz, there, hiflier, with the pics of the deep dark woods, but planning for that reality is essential, so I felt you needed to know that MOST of the PNW is much like that, and often even steeper, so small bites of the map are preferred for the sweeps.

I like the idea of the spotters at the bottom having therms, to get a little advance warning of where to focus the cameras. The logging companies often have their roads parallel each other at increasing altitudes, so dropping from the highest, down to the next is doable, but I wonder if the very act of getting people in position might have the BF gone into the next valley before the group starts out downhill.

Edited by BC witness

Hello BC Witness,

With so many saying that a smart woods creature knows when your in there I couldn't be sure if a Sasquatch wouldn't be long gone. Trying to set up the element of surprise relies on many factors. Humans on familiar Human trails would be one of them and might not present a flight response. A line of Humans coming through the woods may therefore not be expected. The idea of sort of purse stringing the ends similar to a weir before the main center begins down would be an attempt to create a funnel of sorts. By the time the center moved down the side escape routes would be populated already. So nowhere to go but down toward the road. or at least down far enough to get around one of the line's outside "horns".

But just 'cause it's a perfect picture in my mind doesn't mean the reality will be my reality. This will take some seasoned folks to engineer a maneuver such as this. That's why I'm giving the thing a year in the making. There are key elements and assets that need firming up. But since it's only been a few days laying the idea out I'm encouraged to see members seeing the concept even in such a rough state.

And no worries, you're not killing any buzzez, I enjoy having some fun along the way :)

Edited by hiflier

Guest keninsc

I think you have plan that has some serious potential, I truly mean that. The teal trick will be to get everyone on the same page and execute it properly, which is the trick with any plan really.

I can't wait to see how it goes for you.

I would add that no one can think of everything, so brainstorming is a positive thing. Not only that but once you get in the field you may realize you have to change things. But that's something you won't know until you're there and see the problem. So have some alternative ideas sort of on the back burner. Just in case.

Edited by keninsc

I'm Anti-release of info/good footage, so I would be telepathing them as I first posted. I would just wave bye-bye, and not tell anyone I saw the big-one. I would say I did see the footprints, but no squatch, as they were made, like it was invisible or something, and freak all you show-me's out.

Can we stop now? :fan: