Moon Phases

BobbyO

Killing (game or livestock) for food is best done during the dark of the moon as is planting crops during such times.

SSR Team

As is raiding crops, where other Primates are concerned anyway Yuchi..;)

I found this early this week.

This is how Chimpanzee's do things and when they do things in a part of Uganda that a study was undertaken in 2013, where they were raiding crop fields at specific times.

post-136-0-34461900-1425509793.jpg

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

^ this is consistent with some of my observations of active Sasquatch moon periods (as posted above(.   

And I meant "closer to more darkness and the new moon" in my last post before this one above.   Thought something looked funny with that.  

Edited by bipedalist

Killing (game or livestock) for food is best done during the dark of the moon as is planting crops during such times.

Ah Huh ... You mean planting crops during that particular moon phase?

• 4 weeks later...

Disregard the question if it’s already been asked but, on April 4th this year there is supposed to be a Blood Moon total eclipse and for those unaware all throughout history these events are typically met with some significant event.

The question here is has anyone taken the time to see what if anything has changed or increased relative to Bigfoot / Sasquatch during these events?  

Thanks,

SSR Team

If you give me the dates of these events I coud tell you if there's been any reports on them.

Thank you Iacozizzle, that looks like a good start Bobby O. There seems quite a number and I wouldn’t expect you set aside your to check all of them but maybe a few more recent ones? Much appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Some interesting ideas.

I believe these critters just hunt, and whether the temperature, precipitation, moonlight, wind, wind direction, alters the behavior of the game - to that extent it alters the behavior of the critters.

While they're seen in daylight, it seems to me that they start their typical "day" shortly before sundown.  This may include some of the young ones, at least in the early part of the evening, and closer to home.

The males, including juveniles, likely hunt for prey - and whatever is affecting the prey - may dictate in part whereever the prey must be hunted, and if they're coordinating their hunts, some will drive, some will ambush.

These are also opportunistic hunters - and they'll take what they can, when they can.

So if I were a guessing man, I'd guess that the only effect on these critters is what effects the moon has on their prey.

SSR Team

I think you're no too far away at all from being right Far.

After spending the last year or so endlessly looking for pattern and trends in sightings > moon phases, I have found some very interesting stuff with different behaviours in different areas, some of which weigh heavily in favour of common sense and other predator behaviour too.

But like you, overall I think that in general these things just hunt when and where possible.

I do believe however that like other predators, they utilise anything and everything including the moon, to their advantage whenever possible.

Working on something right now where im working out what different phases give what % of darkness hours being actually visible/non visible throughout the course of a single year and in the different seasons.

Getting to the end of this may also shed some light on various strong correlations i've found within the thousands of sighting reports we have classified in the SSR.

Since this thread got bumped, and I have progressed in my database, I'll give more numbers.  Overall, I currently have 726 reports of which 536 have been "vetted" after a change in database format and a complete database crash (back-up regularly kids!).  

I just added to my earlier comment above.  The first column is based on 93 encounter reports in which a moon phase was given or could be identified; the second column is based on 167 encounter reports in which a moon phase was given or could be identified.  

93         167          Moon phase 

12           25          occurred during the new moon + 3 nights after

18           31          occurred during the waxing quarter moon (two nights before, the QM, and 1 night after)

18           31          occurred during the waxing gibbous moon (the next 4 nights)

13           30          occurred during the 2 nights before the full moon, the night of the full moon, and 2 nights after the full moon)

7           16          occurred during the waning gibbous moon (the next 4 nights) 

12           14          occurred during the night of the waning quarter moon and the 3 nights after the waning quarter moon

13           20          occurred during the last 4 nights of the moon cycle

Edited by Trogluddite

SSR Team

BigTree, I'm nowhere near being able to do any kind of Sasquatch related stuff right now nor in the immediate future.

When I get some time I want to get into it and see what it's all about for sure, but life comes first..;)