Moon Phases

BobbyO

15 hours ago, gigantor said:

check out this chart of sightings with a score between 7 and 10 on the SSR (on a scale of 1 to 10). There are 331 of them. It seems they come out at night mostly when the moon is visible and at least half full.

ssr-score-7-10-moon.PNG

Is there any correlation with witness activity?    Are there specific activities the witnesses in the 'not visible' peaks are engaging in that are different from those activities the witnesses in the 'visible' peaks are engaging in?   In other words, is there a strong tendency of one kind to be night road crossing sightings made by drivers and the other to be by campers in tents?   If so, it could give us some idea about refining our search methods for specific parts of the lunar month.

MIB

MIB

• Upvote 1

Admin
6 hours ago, Explorer said:

About half of night sightings with no visible moon light and the other half with visible moonlight.

hey Explorer. Sharing makes everyone better by bouncing ideas. I think the chart may not be explicit enough about what each column represents and there is some misunderstanding there. In the chart:

Visible = Moon Over the Horizon

Not Visible = Moon Under the Horizon

We are only interested in cases in which:

1) It was nightime and

2) The moon was over the horizon.

Everything else is irrelevant. The moon being over the horizon during daytime is irrelevant. The moon being under the horizon (i.e. the other side of the Earth) at nighttime is irrelevant.

So the only meaningful column in the chart is the one with the green check mark, the one where it was nighttime AND the moon was over the horizon....

and according to that, there were 87 sightings when the moon phase was providing natural light at night, and only 10 when it was not.

Here, I fixed the chart to ease confusion:

SSR1.PNG

Admin

I do apologize for not labeling the columns in a better way, it's my fault.

^^

Thanks for the explanation.

I now understand what the columns mean!

Yes, that is definitely a pattern.

On the Dec-2014 report, I thought BobbyO sent you a copy back then? 

My apologies if you did not receive it. But back then I only sent a copy to BobbyO via email and he was going to forward to you.

Then that Christmas season my dad passed away, and I moved on and did not follow up.

I don't think I ever posted here (or anywhere), since I wanted BobbyO to give me clearance (since I used all his SSR data) and he never gave the me clearance.

If you have not seen it, then it is only two of us who have seen it.

• Upvote 1

Admin

No worries brother, we're all after the same thing...

We already knew about the moon phase pattern from witnesses and other researchers, it's just nice to put numbers to back the stories up.

Admin
7 hours ago, PBeaton said:

Do they come out more, or does the extra light aid in visibility for humans to see them ? Or are people less active on those low light nights ?

Good questions, I don't know.

SSR Team

I did forward it on Explorer and for the record I never need to give you clearance for sharing data.

And again, I'm not sure if "everything else" is actually irrelevant as Gigantor says, as I'm pretty sure it is proven that predators prefer to hunt on darker nights where it would all of a sudden bring in to play the "non visible" numbers.

If the moon is under the horizon and is not visible, it means it's as dark as can be right, because there is no light emission from the moon ?

If so, then numbers within those times, especially with them being what they are in their specific column, most certainly wouldn't be irrelevant as Sasquatch would/could highly possibly be a predator that would utilise the darkest nights to its advantage, to hunt.

2 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

I did forward it on Explorer and for the record I never need to give you clearance for sharing data.

For some reason, that is the impression I got from you back then and why that Dec-2014 report was never posted in BFF.

Glad to know I can post.  

I will post that report shortly in another section; might as well share the use of that analytical technique and the kind of findings it yields.

Admin

To BobbyO: ^^ that depends on the question you are asking.

So if you ask: Are there more sightings when the moon provides natural light?  the answer is yes.

Admin

^^ I kinda take it back, the answer is yes, by a little bit :biggrin:

I see what you guys are saying now. 

SSR Team

Comprende comprende, we got there in the end..;)