Historical, Slang, Funny, And Regional Names For Bigfoot

See-Te-Cah NC

I was wondering if there are any unique, funny, or scary names for Bigfoot out there. I know about many of the Native American names, but I was wondering if any of our members had any names for the creature that many of us may not have heard of.

Well, do you?

Bigfoot, sasquatch, the big guy, the grassman, woodbooger, wood ape, mountain men, etc...

I've heard that "sasquatch" is a corruption of the Native American word "sesquac", or something similar.

Edited by ForestTone

Brush Ape. There is a chapter in Martha Hardy's memoir "Tatoosh" about an encounter with a brush ape. It howled at her and frightened her so badly she slept with her gun. This was written in 1946.

Then there's the Swamp apes, skunk ape, Loop Garou, Rugarue, Wooly Booger, Yowie, Yeti, Yeren, Hairy man,  Yahoo, Alma, Almasty, Fouke Monster, Mud Monster, Crazy Bear, Skookum, Mo Mo....

That's all I got.

From folklore: giant, ogre, troll, wodewose, schrat, hobgoblin, goblin, satyr, troglodite.  Boone called them Yahoo's after the hairy giants in Gulliver's Travels.

Here in Vermont there is the legend of Ol' SlipperySkin.   Nominally an abnormally large bear...but one who walks on two feet and delights in tormenting hunters and generally causing mischief.

Tim

Guest Coonbo

My Dad and Grandfather called them Catamounts.  Lots of old folks where I'm from in NW Alabama and NE Mississippi call them Haints, Boogers, Ape Man, Goat Man, Hairy Man, Wild Man, but one of my favorites is "No Heads".  There's a hollow that runs down into the southeast corner of our farm called No Head Hollow.  The road that runs down into that hollow is No Head Hollow Road.  If you want to know why they call them No Heads, go to the GCBRO home page and look at the BF on that page.  It's going away from you and you can't see its head.  That's why the old timers called them No Heads.