Historical, Slang, Funny, And Regional Names For Bigfoot

See-Te-Cah NC

When I first moved to the boonies a farmer from down the road told me to keep my son in sight and not to let him play outside by himself.  He was only three or four and even if the farmer had never told me about the Catamounts I would have followed the advice.  That place across the road was one of the spookiest ever.  I never even crossed the barbed wire to go in there.  It's like there was a giant invisible stop sign telling me to stay on my side of the road, weird........

My Dad and Grandfather called them Catamounts.  Lots of old folks where I'm from in NW Alabama and NE Mississippi call them Haints, Boogers, Ape Man, Goat Man, Hairy Man, Wild Man, but one of my favorites is "No Heads".  There's a hollow that runs down into the southeast corner of our farm called No Head Hollow.  The road that runs down into that hollow is No Head Hollow Road.  If you want to know why they call them No Heads, go to the GCBRO home page and look at the BF on that page.  It's going away from you and you can't see its head.  That's why the old timers called them No Heads. 

I found out later that Catamounts was also used to refer to Lions.  And yes we had them too.  I saw a rather large and beautiful one a few miles south of where I lived.  It was big and I got the impression it was a male.

My little brother said he was standing at the kitchen window facing our driveway and saw one come from the preserve and just casually walk up our driveway, across my pasture and on into a wooded area far beyond my place.

Monkeys, but Monkees caught on for me from a buddy of my inner BF circle.  I don't see them as benign giant forest humans but with super-human powers, I see them as perfectly normal great apes so accord them the same respect as I did the musical performing Monkees of the late 60s -early 70s.  No,  I'm not talking about the Evolution Revolution Band that played on Lance Link, Secret Chimp, although they had about the same musical talent as the Monkees......

NDT, you're silly. Lately, I think my favorite is "booger", just from listening to Coonbo speak of them.

I recently came across what could possibly be the first historical reference to something called "bigfoot", although the people blamed it on an Indian; note that William Wallace was large for the time at 6'2" and 240 pounds.

Wallace first settled near LaGrange. In 1840, after Wallace had been in Texas for over two years, he decided to help in the layout and construction of the new capital at Austin. While there, it is said, he was once misidentified as an Indian, named Bigfoot, that had ransacked a neighboring settler's home. After finding that Wallace's foot was actually smaller than the 14-inch imprint of the Indian, he was found innocent of the misdeed. As a result of the episode, however, Wallace acquired the nickname of Bigfoot, and the name stuck.

I grew up in upstate New York and I was told they were boogers or bigfoot. Nothing fancy, although my brothers and I loved the name Booger. I had heard of catamounts but my grandmother seemed pretty sure that meant mountain lion.

Ditto on catamount .. wasn't a term used very often in my area but when it was, it was clearly in reference to mountain lion.  Hmmm .. everyone is an immigrant from somewhere.  I just thought to wonder where the folks who used the term in my area came from.  

MIB

I figure the best name for em is what is uttered when someone sees one.

"Holy cow!  What the heck is that????"

I've always been partial to Coleman's "Reclusive Forest Primates"  or RFP for short.