Historical, Slang, Funny, And Regional Names For Bigfoot

See-Te-Cah NC

I figure the best name for em is what is uttered when someone sees one.

"Holy cow!  What the heck is that????"

Reminds me of my dog. She thought her name was "OHHH!!!! you're so cute!!"

• 3 months later...

I came across this sighting report and thought the Native name was notable. To me, it reads similarly to the names Seatco and Siahtik. Plus, I just thought the reported details were cool.

We are of Potawatomi Native American ancestry, both me and my husband. We know these people as "Cee-ha-tonka."

I can't copy-paste, not even a link. Stupid computer stuff. It's on the Bigfoot Encounters site under Stories, "Wisconsin Chequamegon Forest 2006".

The local lore here in the mountains of NC. Cherokee Tsul 'Kalu   - "slant eyed or sloping giant"  is a legendary figure in Cherokee mythology who plays the role of "the great lord of the game" and as such was frequently invoked in hunting rituals and rites.           The settlers in the area called them "Wood Boogers" .

Then there's the Swamp apes, skunk ape, Loop Garou, Rugarue, Wooly Booger, Yowie, Yeti, Yeren, Hairy man,  Yahoo, Alma, Almasty, Fouke Monster, Mud Monster, Crazy Bear, Skookum, Mo Mo....

That's all I got.

Hi Chele!..

I was always under the impression the "loupe garou" was a werewolf or canine like creature..

See if you can find the "deridder roadkill" pictures..  And if i remember correctly there was a creature feeding on and killing livestock in Montana that was hunted and killed as well.

Found a link:

http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9699144/1/

In Arizona I had heard tales as a child of the Mogollon Monster.  It's referring to the Mogollon Rim area of Arizona where there have been numerous sightings.  As I became older, I came to find that the Mogollon Monster does indeed have a history, and it wasn't just something my uncle scared us with when we were camping.  He never mentioned that the name was associated with bigfoot, so as a kid I always envisioned it as some type of werewolf or something.

Well maybe I have some idea.

:drag: 

Edit: was hoping it'd combine this with my last reply... d'oh...

Edited by ForestTone

In western Virginia the settlers called them "woodboogers" as David NC stated.

In Saltville Va. there's the story of hunters who call a bear "ol cobblefoot" because when the dogs would close in on it, it was said to rise up on 2 legs and outrun them.

Admin

Big Black Shaggy!

In NC I've heard of "Knobby" and in KS there was one that was a pain in the butt and they called him "Shep"  (weird)...........