Sasquatch Feces

NathanFooter

I am rather interested in hearing about fecal matter and where it was located within the environment,  I am personally going to make an effort to locate and collect fecal samples this year for analyzing what is being eaten and as well to understand where they may defecate.     

Knowing where they may go to defecate is powerful information that may help track movement patterns, aid in track discovery, DNA collection and predict where to focus efforts for obtaining video or photos.

A few people that I would in particular like to hear from on this topic are JDL, Branco and Coonbo and also anyone who may have information on this.

SSR Team

SSR Team

You can't beat a pile of **** on a Sunday..;)

Admin

Some interesting stuff. Something to consider is that Squatches eat their or others scat. It is a trait of Great Apes, and lesser Apes, for that matter. I believe a lot of scat misidentification may occur During identification in the field, unless you get to see the Scat actually being forecasted.

Not sure if this would be of interest to you, but here are a couple of links to a report/investigation of BF activity in Dickson County, TN, in 2001. The first link is the report w/pics link, and the 2nd is just the pics. What stuck with me about this one is the size of the supposed BF scat pile. It was said to be 2 feet in diameter, which to this *layman would seem proportionate to the size of the depositor.

I wish that when samples are said to be "sent off for testing" that a follow-up result would be posted as well. Otherwise I'm left thinking everything comes back explainable.

http://www.gcbro.com/TNdicks002.html

http://www.gcbro.com/TNdicks002a.html

--Foxfire

Scat would be a definitive piece of evidence, right?

Or does the bacteria in it contaminate any traces of DNA?

Side note, use caution when working with feces, especially from animals evolutionarily similar to us... you could probably get a nasty infection if you mishandle it :P 

I cant link to the paper itself, but this would be good for anyone doing non-invasive genetic sampling:

Researchers can obtain DNA from a variety of sources including hair, feces, urine, feathers, shed skin, saliva, and egg shells without handling or observing animals. These samples can then be used to identify the presence of rare or elusive species, count and identify individuals, determine gender, and identify diet items, or samples can be used to evaluate genetic diversity, population structure, and mating system. We review the recent advancements and techniques used for identifying species, individuals, and gender. We also address the potential pitfalls of noninvasive genetic sampling and provide recommendations for laboratory- and field-based methods to improve the reliability and accuracy of data collected from noninvasive genetic samples.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2193/0022-541X(2005)69%5B1419:NGSTFW%5D2.0.CO%3B2

• Upvote 1

Drew, I really appreciate posts that push for proper data collection, stuff like that will advance the field.     Little nuggets of good information scattered throughout topics on things such as sample description and collection help.   :good:

I have a sample collection kit and a proper DNA collection kit, hope they come in handy soon.   On another note, I have a few hair snags to check when I head to Area D in the near future.

Laughing ... when I saw the topic title I thought someone had come up with a creative curse phrase.  :)

Like calls in the night, unless you see the sasquatch deposit said feces, the best you've got is vaguely connected circumstances and if you do see the sasquatch make the call (howl or "of nature" :)) it's still only confirmation _for you_, it's not going to do anything in the way of proving anything to anyone else.   You come away with ... a claim.  We've seen how the scoffers respond to that. 

However, negativity (or reality, depends on your perspective) aside, at least you're out in the field _trying something_.   Nothing is FOUND on the internet, only shared there.  Gotta start somewhere.  Seems like a lot of people are waiting for others to do the work

MIB

Edited by MIB

Drew, I really appreciate posts that push for proper data collection, stuff like that will advance the field.     Little nuggets of good information scattered throughout topics on things such as sample description and collection help.   :good:

I have a sample collection kit and a proper DNA collection kit, hope they come in handy soon.   On another note, I have a few hair snags to check when I head to Area D in the near future.

While I don't think the evidence supports the existence of a Giant Hairy Apeman in North America.  I would hate to see the guy that DID find a Bigfoot poo, to collect it improperly and lose the hopes and dreams of Believers and Skeptics alike, that maybe there is a giant hairy beast haunting our camping trips and day-hikes through our remaining wilderness.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I think that is a pretty good idea. I was wondering if one could train a dog to hit on sasquatch feces specifically? That would be much easier than having a dog trying to track the sasquatch itself, since poop doesn't run. Wait...Anyway, while I do like the idea, I wonder how difficult something like this would be? I suppose the first step would be learning what it looks like. Probably much more human than any other animal's fecal material, and probably a bit larger as well on many occasions, depending on the size of the sasquatch.

Like you said, if one was able to track such material, it is likely that they would find other types of evidence, such as footprints. But I don't see how one could "visually" track such a trail, since there are bound to be vast distances covered between bowel movements. But still, if one could find and map such data, who knows what types of patterns could be discovered?

One might quickly learn just where sasquatch tend to defecate the most. Is it in a relatively open space within the woods, an open field, or in thick brush? I'm sure there are many other things that could potentially be learned from such expeditions. IF one can find the material. I still think dogs would be the only surefire way, if they can distinguish sasquatch feces from other types of feces.

If you see feces that is about the size of a coke can (as a friend described to me) and the thought occurs to you "I wonder how whoever did that survived it" then you might be looking at something very unusual......

Guest zenmonkey

If you see feces that is about the size of a coke can (as a friend described to me) and the thought occurs to you "I wonder how whoever did that survived it" then you might be looking at something very unusual......

hahahahahaha!  Nathan I would imagine ( not trying to be gross) mushy logs lol no really though the way the intestine are shaped produce the typical log shape ( based off of other great apes)  but rather mushy as I tend to think their diet being more flora and fauna. but most importantly remember ape poop taste just like it smells DELICIOUS!  ;)