When Existence Is Proven, Then What?

TedSallis

You wake up one morning, a morning just like all others.  You turn on the TV, or the radio, or log onto a news site on the internet, and it's there, in huge letters and blaring newscrawls..."Bigfoot Discovered, No Hoax", or whatever.

What do you do next?  What are the emotions running through your mind?  I'm guessing most of us would find it very hard to go to work that day, or concentrate on just about anything else but the hunger for more and more facts about what's happening. 

I hope I live long enough to see this day; sometimes it's interesting to consider how one would react.

It would be pretty cool.  But the evidence has pretty much convinced me, so it wouldn't necessarily rock my world.

My biggest quandary would be what to say to the bigfoot skeptics.  More than anything else, they're the reason we don't know yet.

Well, I'm going to file a motion in court to be their official business agent.  Do you have any idea how much they stand to gain in provisional royalties from use of their image in advertising?

• Upvote 1

Guest keninsc

Not really, once discovered then it's pretty much over. A lot of people will have to find real jobs or create a new myth.

Not happening.

1) How many people have livelihoods that are based on bigfoot?  That would be zero (and that would include every bigfooter).

2) Confirming that the animal is real will be only the first piece in the greatest zoological puzzle ever - which will take years, if not decades, to get anywhere near half completing.

Edited by DWA

Admin

It would be over for me, I could finally move on to something else.

It would be awesome going to the zoo to see it. I'm sure our National zoo in DC would be the first to get one. Can't wait!

Edited by gigantor

They'll become an industry, a political football, a cause, and that's just a start. 

If they are recognized as a species of human, it'll get really interesting.

• Upvote 3

Another thing that would almost certainly happen would be a certain amount of panic in the general public, now armed with the knowledge that there is definitely a huge, incredibly strong, fast (and probably smart) hominid prowling the woods in which they hike, hunt and explore.  I don't think any of us can underestimate the sense of dread that would accompany the discovery, alongside all the attendant wonder.

^^^I didn't think about that, and it might be that I'm already exploring the woods armed with that knowledge and it doesn't seem to bother me.

But then I've hiked all my time knowing there were bears out there; and believe it or not many people don't know that (or know it and that's why they don't hike).

When folks find out and I think they will that all those reports of sasquatch in people's backyards are real, you know a lot of them are gonna look at their backyards differently.

One thing major worth remembering here is that serious scientists don't take any of the conjecture regarding bigfoot seriously.  When it's confirmed, all of a sudden these become serious questions:

1) Did it migrate here, or evolve here?

2) What does that say about primate evolution in NA?  (You'll see redoubled efforts to find primate fossils.  And they'll start getting found.)

3) And doesn't that include humans?  (We're already finding new puzzles in that realm almost weekly; this will really toss a wrench in the works.)

All kinds of conjecture will follow this (and remember, that will include big-time stepping up of investigation of hominoid "legends" everywhere).  We have no way of knowing at this point what will happen to primatology or anthropology as a result of this find; the latter may indeed see the biggest changes.

they'd still be elusive.... they will not have gotten the memo....nothing would really change from their perspective...

Edited by clubbedfoot
  • Upvote 1

This is a great thread and I thank you for starting it.

Yes, absolutely--I think we could expect a fair amount of panic, and I think the general public will "arm" themselves with more than knowledge. How quickly State and Fed protections could be put in place would help to at least stem the macho, "let's kill 'em" response we're sure to witness.

But beyond that, long term, I think it would change the very fabric of our own society. A huge primate (possibly half or all man??--at the very least the smartest primate besides us) living right under our noses all this time. All those rumors suddenly being true. Every report suddenly validated of these beasts watching our children play. Of farm animal (and even human) abductions. Possible cannibalism. Things that went bump in the night actually DID go bump in the night. And those bumps were these things. That big black shape that you woke to see in your window one night? It really happened. It really exists. Your grandma was right--there are strange things in those woods, child.

All the folklore tales, true. And I don't know how to say this without getting in trouble (I'm trying mods!), but perhaps some validation of how ancient civilizations were really built. This discovery will rock the foundation of who "we" really are, and it will be THE leading news story for forever. It. Will. Change. Everything.

After the panic, the sobering realization that this animal needs healthy lands, air, water. Wildness (and maybe not--the dumpster divers exist too) is part of what makes them special. Shock of all shocks! It's what we need as well. Wildness. Wilderness. Clean everything.

I believe that the reason why some of our skeptics are so vocal is because they know if BF is discovered, the way our corporations do their thing just changed. Particularly those companies who depend on our natural resources. Which, ultimately, is all of them to some degree.

This will be no mere curiosity, like the giant squid. Last I checked we don't live 1,000 feet under the sea. This will be the beginning of really looking at ourselves a bit harder, ironically. That's enough on that.

But one last thing. Everyone reading these words can consider themselves (in marketing terms) an "early adopter." We are (mostly) well versed in lore, even if we were skeptics. Think about that for a second. We become the people who tell friends, "Hey, it's okay. I've been reading about this for (X number of years), or had an encounter or whatever. It's okay. They've always been here. Here's what you need to know."

Weird to ask this. But are we basically studying BF because we'll all be tasked with someday informing others? Based on the inevitable (I hope!) discovery, I'd say yes.

Apologies for length. I've turned into Ziggy ;) (I keed)

Another thing that would almost certainly happen would be a certain amount of panic in the general public, now armed with the knowledge that there is definitely a huge, incredibly strong, fast (and probably smart) hominid prowling the woods in which they hike, hunt and explore.  I don't think any of us can underestimate the sense of dread that would accompany the discovery, alongside all the attendant wonder.

Prove  One and I will:

-Eat collective crow on the forum and apologize for my stance.

-Donate $1000 US to the BFF in member donations.

- I will pay for the PMP premium of every Proponent Member who responds to this thread.

This is my word.

All you have to do is Prove One.

Just One.

But you can't though.

It can't be an errant circus ape. It has to be absolutely unclassified of its own bipedalness. Unkown to both scientists and Carnies alike.

It should look and move like the PGF and it has to be Very Squatchy.

That day that OP speaks of won't happen though.

• Upvote 3

Guest keninsc

Not happening.

1) How many people have livelihoods that are based on bigfoot?  That would be zero (and that would include every bigfooter).

2) Confirming that the animal is real will be only the first piece in the greatest zoological puzzle ever - which will take years, if not decades, to get anywhere near half completing.

Wow.

I'm responding, Squatchy McSquatch, so I'm in on the PMP as soon as one is proven. I'm doing my bit to get that proof, here in SW British Columbia, in fact I'll be out looking tomorrow. It's a great way to enjoy one of the greatest places on this planet, and if I'm quick enough this time around, I might even collect your proof, as well as your bet.