Field Trips

BC witness

Got out in the field to our "Area X" today with Magniaesir, to a recently built new logging road; it's been topped with gravel, but the shoulders are still soft and damp. All that showed were a couple of deer tracks; actually the valley seems to have very little game sign in it right now. During the 5 hours or so in there, we only saw 2 chipmunks, a few robins, and heard a single grouse drumming.

On Friday, I got out for the afternoon with Thomas Steenburg in the Polaris ATV on the East side of Harrison Lake, where we saw some very recent, and large, bear scat, and heard multiple grouse everywhere we stopped, but the old deactivated road we were running was mostly very hard packed, and tracks were hard to see. The view from the top end of that trail was spectacular, with half of the 40 mile long lake and Echo Island below us, and snowcapped Mt. Breckenridge towering in the distance.

So no prize either day, but a couple of great days in the woods with good guys to file in the mental memory bank, so I'm happy icon_e_biggrin.gif

Some shots from today:

post-23759-0-08258400-1401676664_thumb.j

post-23759-0-36507000-1401676689_thumb.j

post-23759-0-42311800-1401676706_thumb.j
  • Upvote 1

Hello BC Witness,

Hopefully you'll hear 'em coming 'cause you'll never see 'em in that kind of cover. Knowing how quickly Moose, deer, and just about any other creature "disappears" a few feet into the brush it's a wonder there are any reports at all. Makes one think hard about BF's in the open and why. We seem to discuss a lot around here about the "whats" and "hows" but the real answers lie in the "WHYS". I think when it comes to living creatures the "whys" are the most important questions to ask.

As the Spring is now moving past us I'm already thinking about how I'd do things differently next year. That will probably happen as each seasons closes with this being my first year in the field actually looking and not just propping my feet up on some picnic table somewhere watching the campfire. Funny how things change, eh?

Edited by hiflier

hiflier, almost all the sightings in my part of BC are road crossings, or along the edges of cutblocks, as they (game animals, or Sasquatch) disappear into the timber. That last shot of mine was taken to show the sun actually getting through to the forest floor, most of the timber stands are so dark and shadowy, even on a bright day like today was, that nothing is visible more than 30 feet or so into it.

Here's a shot from Friday, at Harrison Lake:

post-23759-0-90038700-1401681223_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

Guest JiggyPotamus

Well like they say...you aren't going to have a sighting unless you get out there. So maybe one day it will pay off. I mentioned the other day I recently drove up to sasquatch territory and did a bit of looking around, and I saw almost no animal signs whatsoever. The forest was a lot thicker than I remembered from previous experiences as well. Maybe this has to do with the season or something, or perhaps this particular forest is just thicker the deeper you get in. I was just reminded of that when looking at your photos. That is beautiful country.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

Looks like fun B.C.!  I really enjoy the high country, but it takes me a few days for my flat lander lungs to adjust HUFF PUFF PUFF!

With that thick cover, there's no telling what might have been watching you at various times without making any noise.

I also see you had the grill fired up!  It doesn't get any better than that!!!...with or without activity!

BC Witness,

Beautiful scenery, you started this thread just to brag!

Seriously, better luck next time. As Jiggy says, you have to get out there.

spectacular scenery, looked like a nice day. I wanted to get out this past weekend and do a little hike get some pictures but home projects interfered with my plans. Thanks for sharing.  

Ah, you caught me, the parkie, I do like to brag about the fantastic scenery here! Actually, I have to remind myself that what I see evey day really is remarkable to many people, so that I can give it the apreciation and respect that it deserves.

daveedoe, I can put off those home projects to weekdays, now that I'm sort of retired, just working a few days each week, so I take advantage of the opportunities to get out as often as possible.

Midnight Owl, I also have to huff 'n puff up there, as I live at sea level, and that pic was taken at about 5000'. The lake in the background is very near sea level, so it's a ride up some pretty steep trails to get to that lookout.

Edited by BC witness

SSR Team

If you don't buy a ticket, you don't win the prize..;)

Peace and love as always BC, fabulous country.

Edited by BobbyO

BC

That's some beautiful land you have there BC. Even if you did not see this creature you were in some great out door country that some of us may never have a chance to see. To be in those lands is to be in presence with our great architect and to be inspired .

I should have stated in the first post here, that I intended this thread to be a place for everyone who goes out looking for evidence of Sasquatch/Bigfoot to tell us of their experience, preferably with photos, not just my own outings. Apparently, I can't edit that post now, as the "edit" option no longer appears there.

Please feel free to report your own field trips on this thread, I want to hear of other's search efforts, as well.

Rock on my brothers! :guitar:

BC is ahhhh ahhhhh supernatural!!! :) But seriously, spectacular country and with every step we hopefully get closer to the end of this mystery!

• 3 weeks later...

went a look'n today, only saw humans, way more in these areas than previous years. I bet there was a lot of tree banding and calling going on at night.

IMG_5055-1.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

It's been 20 years since I was last at Mt  St Helens, I bet it's a lot greener now than it was then. On that trip my wife and I spent the night in beautiful downtown Cougar, in a motel obviously used by logging crews, judging by the condition of the floors! With both Canada Day and Inependence Day coming next week, the woods will be crawling with the weekend warrior campers, so your choice to get out now was a good one.