Field Trips

BC witness

BFF Patron

Daveedoe since we are working the same area sooner or later we are going to run into each other in the field. Do we need to come up with a recognition signal? Secret hand sign or something? Knights Templar M hand sign? LOL It has to be obvious from the gear I carry that I am a bigfooter but no one has ever said anything I have run into on the trail. One closed off logging road I see a car parked there nearly every time I drive by. I have thought about heading out there and see what is going on but worry with a car there that often there might be a pot grow out there someplace. I have run into one of those before. Fortunately it was fall and after harvest so all that was left were the watering buckets.

I like to salute quickly as a hello gesture. I look like my avitar more than the picture with the headlamp on in the lava tube, if we cross paths I will salute and you will know its me.

When I was out last week I saw the several people in several locations up near Mt St Helens. I wondered if they were looking for Bigfoot evidence or just enjoying the nice warm sunny winter day in the mountains.  Up around Panther creek to the four corners, I saw a few cars parked and wondered what / where the occupants were. I wondered if one might be SWWASasquatchproject? 

I have come across what I figured was a pot grow operation a few times riding my motorcycle on old overgrown logging roads. I usually just leave the area quickly. 

BFF Patron

Blond hair, pack with recorder running on the top, and a automatic in my hip holster would probably give you a clue it is me.   I drive an older GMC white pickup.    Sometimes I keep the gun in my pack to avoid frightening the pilgrims. 

• 2 weeks later...

The group got out for another look in our chosen research area today, in beautiful sunny weather. The problem with the bright weather was that it attracted every 4x4, ATV, and shooter in the Fraser Valley into the woods. We had about 40 minutes of quiet time on a hike in the morning, before it got to be like your average urban mall in the timber! We did 2 hikes, and found that once we got away from the easy roads/trails, we did have the trail to ourselves, though the gunshots and explosions (what the hell?) were still audible. Our total wildlife evidence for the day amounted to a few coyote tracks, some old bear tracks, and one smallish black bear hightailing it to the next valley to get some peace and quiet, though I suspect that was a hopeless mission.We called it a day after about 4 hours of noise and mayhem out there, and headed back to our usual hangout for a late lunch, and planning for future missions. Jason did get a couple of videos with Thomas on some related topics, which will appear on his website in due course.

A few shots from the day:

1 The sun coming over the mountain behind us, lighting up the peak to our west.

2 The north end of the valley

3 Thomas slip-sliding downhill through the mossy timber towards the river.

post-23759-0-48511900-1424047779_thumb.j

post-23759-0-75624700-1424047804_thumb.j

post-23759-0-05968000-1424047833_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

BFF Patron

Pretty area.    It is getting to be almost a waste of time going out on weekends.   The woods are full of all kinds of different people.    Lots of shooters, day hikers, etc.     Too many people.  When someone is shooting not only am I nervous but I think they are too. 

Admin

Beautiful Shot!

Thanks guys. We also found these fresh tracks that were interesting to us. No one had driven up the road we were on since the last rainfall about five days before. And this area is about 10 miles by road to the nearest houses around Swift Reservoir. Either this very big dog is wondering far from home or these are possible wolf tracks. There is a verified pack less than 100 miles north of here.

post-24465-0-53418600-1424375630_thumb.j

post-24465-0-67529200-1424375668_thumb.j

post-24465-0-83161000-1424375732_thumb.j

SSR Team

Not sure if a Sasquatch has enjoyed that view but I sure have and I'm getting itchy feet to do so again..;)

Great picture, thanks for sharing.

Just one thing though, there seems to be a scarily serious lack of snow for a picture taken in February though huh ?

BFF Patron

Does look like a wolf. I saw a track about the same size South of there. There is a DNR website where they want you to report sightings and tracks. Last time I looked there had been several sightings in Clark County.   Bigtex pointed out as your picture shows that wolf prints normally do not show claws.     I don't see any in your picture here.    A dog always has its claws out. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Not sure if a Sasquatch has enjoyed that view but I sure have and I'm getting itchy feet to do so again.. ;)

Great picture, thanks for sharing.

Just one thing though, there seems to be a scarily serious lack of snow for a picture taken in February though huh ?

Same thing is true in SW BC, there is virtually no snow in the mountains around here. One of the local ski hills, Hemlock Valley, is less than 20 km east of the location of my pics from the other day, and never did open for business this year, and numerous others in the lower mainland and Vancouver Island have closed already, when they normally operate right through Easter vacation and even Spring Break.

Last year at this time, the snow was down to the logging road from which I took those shots; as you see in the pics, there's no snow visible on the peaks around that valley at all this year. Doesn't bode well for our summer water supply, as many of our supplies come from lakes in the valleys north of the Fraser River, normally fed by the melting snowpack in the springtime.

You're right BobbyO very little snow this year. I hope we get something in March. I got some snowshoes this year and could only find 3" of half melted snow to try them out.

Here's one more picture we took that day. Curly Creek Falls where it flows into the Lewis River.

post-24465-0-16630300-1424421950_thumb.j