Field Trips

BC witness

BFF Patron

The knocking thing has been one of my peeves for some time. People are doing it when they have no idea what it means to BF. The only data I have is that it may prevent an encounter. When I have entered areas now and then I hear a single knock. What is their purpose for doing that? Is the BF protocol to knock back once? Twice? If I do it wrong for sure they will know I am not a BF. If I do knock back the BF will have some idea of where I am. I don't want them to know. If they want to know, I want them to come looking for me and hopefully blunder into sight when they do. The better they can determine where I am the less likely there is for a chance encounter. I know if they knock several times in rapid succession, it is because they have seen me and they want to warn another BF that I am there. I know that from an encounter I had. If someone can provide data and show me that it has some useful purpose to knock, then I might consider taking it up. But just because some guys on a TV show do it, is not reason enough for me. With the number of human knockers in the woods right now, a knock is most likely is another researcher.

• Upvote 3

BTW & SWWAS, I agree with your takes on wood knocking. My only try ever, on this outing, was to see if I could actually make an audible knock, and in joking response to a recent comment by Norseman, I believe in his "voucher specimen" thread, about knocking and hollering/hooting/screaming, hence the winky smiley.

I'm still learning, but with the above experience and a previous experience when I got between 3 individuals; I think they use it for locating and warning each other. That being the case, I will in the future only think of knocking when I am leaving an area with no intention of returning that day. That way at least I can consider that they may be in an area if I do get a response. I also spend time confirming that no one else is in the area if I do hear something. This is possible to do during the week, not so much on weekends!

QUOTE: but the guys threatened to kick me off the "research team" if I tried that again, though in a show of support, Thomas let go with a good Bobo style bellow. icon_e_wink.gif: END QUOTE.

I here by deny committing any such suport. Not saying BC witness is wrong, I am just denying it. :spiteful:

Thomas Steenburg

• Upvote 1

I like predator calling, for one I know it works on other species and for two I don't have to worry about saying the right things in Squatch.

And lastly I'm not giving up the initiative I'm gaining it.

BFF Patron

I can see where predator calling might be effective. You are not trying to speak BF but are imitating prey. To try to imitate BF with a howl or call is like me going into downtown Moscow Russia, and trying to yell something in Russian and fool the native speakers that I know Russian. In each case the natives would know I am not real.

My thoughts are mixed on wood knocking. I had an incident last year where we heard a stump being torn apart down the hill from us. I decided to knock a couple times and heard whatever it was leaving in a hurry. We had been talking quietly where we were and that didn't spook the animal. But as soon as I knock.... gone like a shot. I wish I had tried to approach closer instead.

We did find the stump and interpreted it was a bear. But then a question came to mind. Why didn't it run when we first noticed the noise of the stump being torn apart? We had been talking before we noticed. Paying more attention to its business? Maybe...but not likely. Sound travels very well in a quiet forest. But, as soon as I knock, its gone! If it was a bear, why that reaction to a couple stick cracks? Was it relating it to something else? Just thinking out loud here.

I can see where predator calling might be effective. You are not trying to speak BF but are imitating prey. To try to imitate BF with a howl or call is like me going into downtown Moscow Russia, and trying to yell something in Russian and fool the native speakers that I know Russian. In each case the natives would know I am not real.

yup. and Iam packing a rifle but you could be packing a camera, it still works the same!

Trip on April 10th checking out more of the rugged country SW of Mt St Helens. We were at about 3800' and there was some snow in the area. Only found a set of bobcat and a set of rabbit tracks. It appears all the elk have moved to lower elevations. The second picture is looking towards the Mt Margaret high country.

We checked out the shorelines of a couple small lakes. Found some signs of spring: flowers and it looked like the frogs or salamanders have been busy in the lake (egg clusters).

post-24465-0-93319900-1428742679_thumb.jpost-24465-0-80564300-1428742834_thumb.jpost-24465-0-06857800-1428743125_thumb.jpost-24465-0-58535600-1428743263_thumb.jpost-24465-0-39016100-1428743370_thumb.j

great pictures BTW. Was there much human activity in the area? How are the roads, do you need a high clearance vehicle? 

I've always thought the area just south of the blast zone and west of the mountain was promising.  

Thanks for the pics and the report, BTW. That looks very much like our area, as it should, since we're both in "Temperate Rainforest" zones. I'm hoping to get out for a while tomorrow, when the rain eases up, and I have my truck back from the shop with it's new lift kit - woohoo - no more banging and scraping all those expensive bits underneath. :-0

The gates in this area were all open. Checked out the Blue Lake trailhead. The trailheads are the only place we saw cars and only 4 all day. On the 8117 there are a couple places where you would have to watch it with a car. But the side roads, definitely higher clearance 4WD. No one had been in the area where we were since before the snow last weekend. Bigfoot would have to be tricky to not step in any snow patches. We tried but gave up. Besides, it made it easier to follow our trail back out. My son suggested we should have started walking in the snow sooner as we were heading out. :-)

This is definitely rugged country. A person could wear themselves out just investigating small parts of it.

Here's one of the other small lakes we visited.

post-24465-0-34274400-1428785633_thumb.j

I have hiked into Indian Heaven dead reckoning across snow in the past. When we came out a few days later had bear tracks crossing ours from our hike in. We did run into a few problems falling through in a few spots where the snow had melted around logs creating a large cavity.  Not bad on the opposite side but a leg breaker on the forward side. Was late spring most the snow was hard packed. 

Another great picture of the small lake, I bet you will find some good tracks in that area, animal and who knows, hopefully BIGFOOT prints.

After having some repairs and a 2.5" lift/level, Z71 springs, and BDS 55619 shocks installed on the TrailBlazer yesterday, I just HAD to get out and try them out, though no one else was available to go, so this was a solo run up the same road system we had explored back at the end of Jan. The weather was very similar, drizzly and overcast, though a little warmer than 2 1/2 months ago. I explored a couple of side trails that were bypassed on the original trip, and both dead-ended within 3 or 4 km, one at a washed out bridge, and the other at a rockslide with more boulders than I cared to move by myself.

The heavy wet snow that halted our progress in Jan. had melted weeks ago, but there was a few inches of fresh snow at the higher reaches, from a storm that passed through last night, though not enough to be a problem for my all-season tires, so I was able to get through the pass between the 2 creeks, and come out to the highway about 20 km further east than where I had left the pavement. Trail systems that do this are rare in my area, as most start near the mouth of a creek or river, run up to the headwaters, and end there, forcing you to backtrack out, so ones that make a loop are nice to find. The only tracks found in the fresh snow were a couple of Blacktail deer, and a few squirrels, no giant barefoot bipeds. Even with the snow on the ground, I could hear grouse whooping at the top of the pass.

The new lift/springs worked great, exceeding my expectations, giving all the clearance needed for the type of road I like to explore, and firmimg the ride, without making it too harsh, both on pavement, and through the potholes and washboard on the logging roads. It was well worth the money to me.

The total distance driven off pavement was about 40 km, most of it fairly easy 1.5 rated, with a few bits that would be a 2.5. Pictures below:

1 Old growth cedar stump dwarfs the 2nd growth

2 Snowy pond near the pass

3 Low clearance!

4 Snow in the pass

5 Very cold creek - brrr

6 Avalanche chute

7 Not much road left

post-23759-0-23538100-1428901918_thumb.j

post-23759-0-82740900-1428901946_thumb.j

post-23759-0-84842000-1428901980_thumb.j

post-23759-0-30481800-1428902024_thumb.j

post-23759-0-16803500-1428902055_thumb.j

post-23759-0-48986100-1428902099_thumb.j

post-23759-0-83568200-1428902290_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

Thanks for the update BC. Looks like someones been cutting fresh cedar in one of those pictures. I think you got a little more snow than we did in the last couple days.

Looks like you have a pretty good rig for getting around in now. Every time I see a picture of your SUV I think I'm looking at my Durango. :-)

post-24465-0-13730100-1428903008_thumb.j