Field Trips

BC witness

Daveedoe

Do you usually find prints in these areas or is it a miss and go kinda of thing ? This is great land where if one does get lost in might not mind , It is beautiful.  Great sun rise and sunset views. Thanks Makes looking for this creature not a bad thing.

I look for any prints from the smallest creatures to the biggest. I have never seen a Bigfoot print  where I could see toes and say that has to be Bigfoot. I have seen prints in snow where the only conclusion was Bigfoot.

I like to look for bones. I'm intrigued with the research Big Tree Walker has done. I am paying closer attention to bone finds. I have found many in the past never paying much attention to them. 

Yes this is beautiful country, I had to share the Columbia Gorge pictures it was a very nice fall day.

Edited by daveedoe

Thanks for sharing those Dave. Beautiful day in the gorge. I'm jealous. I've been working on a construction project and haven't been able to get out. Glad to hear that you are paying closer attention to the bones. That is just what I was hoping would happen. :)

• 1 month later...

Best Christmas Wishes and a Happy New Year to all of you here on BFF

MagniAesir, his wife, Thomas Steenburg, myself, and Magni's cousin and her boyfriend, Katie and Dan, from New Zealand had a great day out on the Harrison West FSR today. Magni had asked Thomas and I to take the visitors out for the day and show them some sighting areas, tell them some of the history of Sasquatch in the region, and have an afternoon cookout, and we agreed, as we're always up for some free food and drink.

The day had some interesting twists, as we ran into fairly heavy snowfall about 10 km up the FSR, and by 26 km it was deep enough for us to call a turn around, as neither Magni nor I had chains along. It seems that young Dan had never experienced snow before, so we treated him to his first ever snowball fight, then gave him a break to build Katie a snowman. By the time that was done, I found that the snow under my TrailBlazer had iced up enough that the truck wouldn't move, even in 4WD, just spun in the ruts it had melted into as it sat while we played, so he then got to push a snowbound SUV for the first time, too.

On our way back to km 0, we pulled into the day use picnic area at the Weaver Lake turnoff, for a campfire and a lunch of smokies and chips. As Thomas and Magni got the fire going, Dan took Katie for a walk to the nearby lakeshore, and they came back a few minutes later, with Katie flashing a big smile, and a big diamond on her finger! Dan had popped the question on our little adventure trip, and she'd said "YES". It turns out that Magni and his wife were in on it, but it certainly caught Katie by surprise, as well as Thomas and I. A bottle of bubbly magically appeared, a toast was drunk, and we sat around the blazing fire till well after dark, before heading back to town. I was delighted to have been a part of the young couple's wonderful day, and I'm still grinning about it as I type this. What a great start to the Holidays!!!

West FSR 002.jpg

West FSR 001.jpg

post-23759-0-83637800-1450932916_thumb.j

post-23759-0-46132700-1450932939_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a great day to remember. Especially for Katie and Dan.

Merry Christmas. It's very early Christmas Eve here and snowing. Imagine that!

BTW

Great story BC, congratulations to Katie and Dan. Great memories for sure.

Merry Christmas to all, my wife and I wanted to have a white Christmas so we headed to the hills this morning. Saw quite a few locals playing in the snow. Only found human footprints these pictures were taken at about 1900 ft elevation near the crossroads on Larch Mt above Camas Washougal area. 

post-3060-0-32215400-1451076012_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-49329100-1451076039_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-00836400-1451076068_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

See that's the kind a of stuff I like to walk in the woods. Right where it is foggy or it is very snowy and you can barley see. Everything just looks amazing. You have a great area to hike into  and even camp.  Michigan just as good except for it is not like PNW ,But there places that may look like PNW and it is just as beautiful .

You have a great place for Bigfooting. Enjoy the moments that you spend when you are in the field for they are different each time you visit. Thank You for sharing. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since it was a beautiful sunny day, I talked my buddy Jim and daughter Andi into a road trip to one of our local creek valleys to scout for tracks in the last week's snowfall. We found the main logging road had been plowed, so were able to get in over 20 km, but found nothing other than old deer trails, and some fresh boot prints. I didn't want to push beyond the plowed road, as I am only running all season, sort of all terrain tires, that are not very aggressive, and found that the tire chains from my wife's Montana van were too small, and those from my GM 3500 too large. After a couple of hours snoop in that valley, we headed back to pavement for lunch, then went further east along the north side of the Fraser Valley, to an area that has numerous sloughs winding along the base of the mountains. We were presuming that animals would opt for this snow free zone, with more opportunities for foraging. My buddy fishes there, and knows there are lots of fish in the waterways, and we also saw a great many ducks, geese, and trumpeter swans, which should be easy pickin's for a nocturnal hunter that could easily wade the shallow sloughs to grab a sleeping meal. I think this region could handily support a winter population, given the abundant fish and fowl, as well as water plant roots, and most likely crawfish and eels, too. I'd like to spend more time there this year, as I really like the "feel" of the place, and there have been reports from there, though that is true for almost all of the upper Fraser Valley and its tributaries.

It was a very pleasant day out, and satisfied my growing "cabin fever" for a little while. I hope to report many more such trips over the coming year.

post-23759-0-69058700-1452472136_thumb.j

post-23759-0-54131000-1452472154_thumb.j

It was a beautiful day today. Much rather have been out and about rather than working. No snow along the lower Columbia River here though.

• 5 weeks later...

Got out with the crew (Thomas and Jason; Magniaesir was dealing with an overnight break in at his daughter's new business) for a half day in one of the watersheds on the N side of the Fraser River with a few sightings recorded, one of which we investigated about this same time last year.. The day was unseasonably warm, and sunny, and being a stat. hol. (Family Day) here in BC, unfortunately every 4x4, ATV, and shooter had the same idea. :-(

Every side trail we got to had a group shooting down it, a 4x4 bouncing down it, or a quad swarm tearing up and down it. We did stop to check out a newly installed suspension bridge across one of the creeks, at a nice waterfall. Thomas and I hiked up the steep trail to the falls, while Jason stayed behind at the truck. Since we were walking alongside the noisy creek, we couldn't hear much else, but J called on the 2 way to let us know that we'd spooked up a pack of coyotes, who made a ruckus about our presence.

We eventually got beyond the worst of the crowds, into the section of road that still had some snow, where we could cruise along looking for tracks. Sadly, we saw virtually no tracks of anything other than trucks and people. Reaching the point where the snow was dragging the truck's underside, I opted to turn around, as I have no chains yet, and only moderately effective A/T tires. The chains and nice meaty off road tires are coming, just waiting on adequate funding. We called it a day by noon, making a note to ourselves to avoid long weekends in the areas close to the Big Smoke. I did get a few shiots for your enjoyment, some with my new iphone, and some with my old Canon Powershot.

post-23759-0-43045600-1454994338_thumb.j

post-23759-0-55897600-1454994364_thumb.j

post-23759-0-18794700-1454994410_thumb.j

post-23759-0-80593200-1454994460_thumb.j

post-23759-0-17189400-1454994484_thumb.j

post-23759-0-90843000-1454994515_thumb.j

Nice pictures BC. I especially liked the suspension bridge and and waterfall. Those last couple look like a glacial valley.

Thanks, BTW. The falls are about 80' high, and the shot was from the centre of the bridge, as was the other creek shot, looking downstream from the bridge. In the bridge shot, Thomas was trying to hear Jason on the 2 way, and the roar of the water drowned everything out. That wide valley, and most of the drainages  on both sides of the Fraser valley are glacial, as is the main Fraser River Valley. I've read that the ice sheet was as much as a mile deep here. It really makes one wonder what it all looked like before the last ice age.

Edited by BC witness

• 3 weeks later...

Heading to east Texas to visit my daughter and grandson in the middle of March. I hope to get out at least one day and do a little field trip. My daughter plans on taking us up to Jefferson and Caddo Lake area, been there before looks like good Bigfoot area. Wish I had a bit more time would love to get down to the Big Thicket area. I will take some picture and post later. We are staying in Henderson Texas, any suggestions?