Field Trips

BC witness

Looks like a great day out, Dave. It's always nice to connect to grandkids, I took my youngest 2 on their first camping trip a few years ago, age 5 and 7, they got to see lots of deer, a bear, a porcupine, and panned a little gold, and still talk about it. BTW, your grand daughter got a fair amount of your genes, the family resemblance is definitely there.

Do you ever get inside those lava tubes, or is that too dangerous? They seem like an obvious natural shelter for wildlife, though I'd be leery of disturbing a bear or cougar in it's den, never mind a SAsquatch!

Admin

That's what I was thinking Dave, as BC witness wisely points out, you wouldn't want to get a momma bear all worked up in her den...

Edited by gigantor

not to worry the lava tube we visited is visited by people in this case all year, due to lack of snow. The one pictured is less than a mile from the Ape Caves. There was a family parked at the same location who were hiking to the main Ape Caves, The forest service had a gate up so if you wanted to visit you had to hike down the road.  The Cave we visited is a fun cave when you get into the entrance you then have a ladder to climb down and then you are in the main tube. You get to a point where you have to crawl through a small area and the cave opens back up. The cave then ends a short distance some years at water. We only went in to the ladder because all I had was flashlights no lantern and we were not wearing our boots or hard hats.

My Granddaughter is a real trooper, she loves the idea of Bigfoot searching and is as curious as me. Her father side is Native American and her Grandmother on that side is very much into tradition and culture. My granddaughter has a slight birth defect that makes it hard to hike or walk all day with out suffering a bit of pain. She continues to amaze and never complains and wants to just keep on searching.

Our main goal yesterday was to find tracks. We did find one small what looked like a bare human foot print depression, I will post the picture. You can just make it out it is in the center of the picture. What stopped us was you could see a disturbed spot and next to the disturbed spot was where the foot looking print is. We were the first on that trail yesterday so no person had been through there. I'm sure it was just coincidence that it looked like a bare foot. Just teaching her how to track.

post-3060-0-60164200-1422720156_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-09544600-1422720819_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-52955200-1422720872_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Another day trip today, back to the area we concentrated on early last year, to see if there had been any changes to access, or to the ongoing powerline project in the region. It rained all day, giving a surface that would show fresh tracks easily on the normally hard road, but all we found were tracks from a large coyote, no deer, bear, or Sasquatch. We did stop to shoot 3 videos with Thomas, for his ongoing website. These should be posted in the next few days on http://www.thomassteenburg.com along with some more written material from his files. We did hike in to the lake that my son and I had walked the shores of last summer, but the rains had filled it so high that there was no open shore area to scout for tracks at all.

The only excitement of the day was being splashed with muddy water by some idiot in his "Off Road Special" F150 tearing up the trail toward us at stupid speed, then having him come up from behind 40 minutes later on his way out, and do the same. I thought we might wind up scraping him and his truck off a rockface, or the bottom of the creek gorge, further on, but no luck there, dammit.

post-23759-0-94500400-1422843075_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

The only excitement of the day was being splashed with muddy water by some idiot in his "Off Road Special" F150 tearing up the trail toward us at stupid speed, then having him come up from behind 40 minutes later on his way out, and do the same. I thought we might wind up scraping him and his truck off a rockface, or the bottom of the creek gorge, further on, but no luck there, dammit.

I sometimes feel like I should carry a spare can of gas for people like that..... in case I find them wrecked and only slightly on fire.

I'm mindful of a George Carlin quote:  Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? 

It's easy enough to bash the other person but a bit of tolerance goes a long ways especially out there when the person we were just bad-mouthing is the only person available to help us rescue ourselves if we do mess up.    It's best to wave with the front side of all the fingers in passing.  (Despite what we might be thinking.)

MIB

I'm mindful of a George Carlin quote:  Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

It's easy enough to bash the other person but a bit of tolerance goes a long ways especially out there when the person we were just bad-mouthing is the only person available to help us rescue ourselves if we do mess up.    It's best to wave with the front side of all the fingers in passing.  (Despite what we might be thinking.)

MIB

I respectfully beg to differ, those who recklessly abuse public or private roads/spaces can get them closed to those of us who don't. If given the opportunity I let them know that too...in as respectful a manner I can muster. If folks feel the need to tear things up with their vehicles they can find a gravel pit. Keep it off our roads and trails. Carry on.. and thanks for the update BC

MIB, that's a great qoute, which I've never heard before. And your observation holds true, as well. Both trucks in our little convoy did in fact pull over to the edge of the narrow road to allow the shiny new "off road racer" to tear on by, in both directions. My comment on picking up the remains was not really in jest, though, as that road claimed 2 lives, and 2 different vehicles, on one afternoon, on one of our trips along it last summer.

the parkie, not trying to rub your noses in it, just sharing our enthusiasm for getting out there, on the hunt. I guess we're either dedicated, or crazy, to drive out in the mountains on a rainy day to go for a hike lokking for footprints of a creature that most of the world thinks is a myth. ;-)

Edited by BC witness

MIB

Heh, exactly, I probably used up all my fellow motorist tolerance in the early hours of the snowfall yesterday, trying to do a steady 40-50 between those who wanted to do 15-20 and those that wanted to do 70mph still. 

Beautiful country. Once again you are rubbing our faces in it Dave and Brad...!

Thank you Parkie,

It is nice to be reminded what a beautiful place we live in. I sometimes take it for granted.  The areas I visit have been my playground my whole life, it just happens to be in one of the Bigfoot hot spots.

Sometime this year I will get into some old growth areas, get some good shots and show you the how beautiful it was before logging. thanks again.

BFF Patron

I was as high as 4000 ft elevation no trace of snow anywhere. This winter here has been more like spring. Its been in the fifties up in the hills. I think the snow has been only falling on the volcanic peaks above 4000 ft.

Nice pictures. What is really surprising to me in the PNW winters is when the valleys are fogged in and near freezing, at 4000 to 5000 feet it can be in the 50s. Deep inversions set in. I always have mental images of BF on SW facing slopes sunning and scratching in the afternoons.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

SWWAS said:

"I always have mental images of BF on SW facing slopes sunning and scratching in the afternoons."

I really like that image. Whenever we  spot some "edge cover" across a valley, or any other open view like that, we stop and pull out the binoculars or spotting scope, to look for just that sort of thing. I've spotted bear, deer, elk, and moose like that, why not Sasquatch. Of course, spotting one like that, and showing proof of doing so, are 2 different things, entirely.

I also feel, as daveedoe stated above, fortunate to live in such a great part of our world, and sometimes need to be reminded of that. While the rest of Canada is sitting under several feet of snow, and may not see grass for another couple of months, my friends and I are hiking in the mountains, complaining about a little rainfall.

BFF Patron

Agreed, need to just be far enough away that they do not know you see them. I would imagine that older ones get cataracts and have impaired vision just like older humans get too.