Field Trips

BC witness

great pictures BTW! is that Jack Pine shelter? I know there are several shelters around the GPNF just curious. I had camped in a tent near the Jack Pine shelter back in the early 1970's, a few years before the eruption.  

House Rock Shelter I bet.

You got it, daveedoe, House Rock Shelter. It's pretty easy to get to and the view is fantastic!

For those that are interested, the valley you can see on the right flank of Mt St Helens is the Muddy River. Smith Creek heads north from there. The next ridge over is Ape Canyon and Windy Ridge is the farthest one.

Just one thing though, there seems to be a scarily serious lack of snow for a picture taken in February though huh ?

Yeah, it's scary. I heard something like 3% snowpack, and it's stayed warm for awhile. Was surprised to see a large butterfly today.

I didn't know about the wolf print no claw thing, must depend on the ground. I found this interesting site awhile ago, oh and love all the photos.

http://washingtonwolf.info/

BFF Patron

I think Bigtex told me his pet wolf does not normally put her claws out unless she needs traction.   The tracks I found followed me down a trail for a while.   That was in the Cold Creek area. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

BFF Patron

Just did an aerial recon of the Saddle Mountain area from the air.   I heard the story of the national guard soldiers that saw three BF in some gravel pits near there and wanted to see if I could locate the place.    Think I found the pits that are on the NE side.    Not sure how you would get there if the logging roads are closed off.     The tree cover there is so thick you could fly right over an army of BF and never see them.   Unless they were standing out in the open in a clear cut or the gravel pits you could not see them.    For sure a Falcon Project blimp is not going to be of much use in Western Oregon or Washington.    While tree coverage to the East is thinner,  so is the BF population.    Really wonder if that project is going to be a big bust. 

Stinkyfeet, I think you are right. Anyway the photos don't show them but there were claw marks visible, and they were definitely large canine tracks. I checked out the wolf report website for WA and there have been reported wolf sightings all around the area where we found the tracks. Close to the House Rock Shelter.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/reporting/sightings.html

I am not able to start a new thread yet and don't want to highjack this one, because this is a great thread! But, I found an interesting comment on a GPNF website that I was wondering about. Is this tongue-in-cheek, an advertising gimmick, or someone trying to make the subject look like a joke when they know it isn't? Anyway, here's the quote:

"Our road surveys offer a great way to visit new areas of the forest while helping with the conservation and restoration of Bigfoot’s forest."

http://gptaskforce.org/our-work/forest-roads-1

BFF Patron

The link was not the Forest Service but some other preservation group.   Had me fooled for a couple of minutes until I saw that they accept donations.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

My wife and I went up to Sunset Falls today. I wanted to go up to Silver Star Mt. We took the car instead of the pickup. Needless to say I could have made it but just not wise due to low of ground clearance in the car. Took a couple pictures of Silver Star and of the Columbia River from Larch Mt, Washington side. NO SNOW! very unusual this time of year. WE saw lots of people out and about in the hills.

We even saw the Clark County Search and Rescue. I think they were training, just a big group standing around a fire. 

post-3060-0-49006100-1424653458_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-66132300-1424653578_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-43684600-1424653654_thumb.jp

More great shots, Dave, thanks. Our local mountains are equally snow free. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the drinking water supply, and with the wildlife, over this coming summer.

Dave, I liked your photos. Sunday was a beautiful day to get out, wish I could have! I'd like to get up to Silverstar sometime, if for nothing else but the view.

Pretty area.    It is getting to be almost a waste of time going out on weekends.   The woods are full of all kinds of different people.    Lots of shooters, day hikers, etc.     Too many people.  When someone is shooting not only am I nervous but I think they are too. 

Yep.  If I am just doing a day trip, I put in for a vacation day and head out into the empty woods.  I don't take long vacations very often so my days pile up...

BFF Patron

I was out yesterday exploring my forced migration theory.    Something occurred to me.  People wonder why BF is so reclusive and does not show to humans.    It was Sunday and off in the distance I could hear shooting from several directions.    Here I was on a logging road that had been closed off with boulders probably 10 years ago and no matter where I went even far away from the road, there were piles of shotgun shell casings and brass from various hand guns and rifles.    They were all over the place.   On weekends the woods in SW WA sound like a war zone.     No wonder BF does not want to show himself.   They have to have some understanding of guns and what they are capable of.