Out Of The Box Expedition Tactics

Assuming full well Sasquatch is real and inhabiting the Forrest, I was curious about any new ideas or suggestions that anyone may have to gain more traction with encounters. Wood knocks, call blasts, gifting, etc have really failed to produce in terms of encounters and evidence. By produce, I am looking at it from a % scale in terms of the amount of direct evidence gathered as a result of these efforts. I am heading out in Northern Michigan in a few weeks, and I am seeking any new or unorthodox methods to increase interactions.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Guest keninsc

At the risk of sounding negative, the so-called traditional things haven't given us any results. However, I haven't a clue how to advise you because normal hunting techniques may or may not work because they are based on knowledge of the prey. Bigfoot don't seem to follow normal convention and they even seem to defy their own patterns. They shy away from humans but are often seen near and around them. They avoid many trails in the woods but are seen walking on the sides of roads. One was reported to the BFRO as being seen walking at an interstate off ramp.

I wish I could advise you better, however you might try baiting. Get some chicken parts or whole chickens and hang them up in trees high enough so that normal creatures can't get to them. Then make some calls, just a couple like you're calling in your buddies for dinner. Then lay low, use a Ghillie suit and wait. If they come looking then maybe you can get one.

Yep, I've read countless times that if you camp in ordinary clothes, play some gentle music and cook some fish, then this is as good a method as any to pique their curiosity. Don't play army and try to hunt them (unless playing army gets you excited) as this doesn't appear to work.

Edited by the parkie

I've been thinking lately, and I could be way off base, that one way glass could work if it's available to purchase.  Bipto talks about activity outside their cabin.  If he had one way glass instead of a window, he could be watching outdoors from the inside without being seen.  One way mirror may work as well.  If a cover was built out of one way glass with a trail cam inside, could it still be activated without a supposed bf knowing it was there?  When I see a crime show on tv with the bad guy being interrogated and the other cops watching from another room through one way glass, it always makes me think it would be great to have a big piece of it on a cabin wall looking outside.  Again, I could be way off here with the technology but it's a thought I get once in awhile.  :-)

t.

NAWAC is doing it (although unfortunately not for as much time as a fully-funded mainstream expedition would get):  extended time in field, from a remote base camp, rotating personnel as needed.

Anything else won't work.  Any sasquatch one finds any other way using any other tactic is blind luck.

Simple reason:  animals shun us when they don't expect to see us there.  Become a fixture on the landscape, however, and sooner or later curiosity overcomes wariness.

Animals shun walkers...but approach established camps (and even houses).

Everything has to be done as to let them make the choice to contact you. DWA and a few others are correct, you have to go to an area often and let them come to you. 

I had that advice from a few friends over 2 years ago and now I try and just go camp and have a good time enjoying nature. I spend time walking during the day and even at night down a few of the trails. I always try and talk "to them" and show total respect. It feels a little weird at first talking to the "trees" and telling them your only there to be friends and learn, but that is what we started doing. They have to KNOW you mean no harm to them or their family members. Some people try baiting or gifting, I more or less just keep my eyes and ears open. Using some good digital recorders and a parabolic dish with head phones and become invaluable to me. I have heard bi-pedal walking almost very trip out and have had them come into our camp at night while we are sleeping. So far, we have had numerous sightings, tracks in and around camp and a great deal of other activity. Take a look at my journal entry for my total ride and learning experience with them since 2008/2009. 

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/307-my-journal-of-encounters-in-ga/#entry1810

TOTAL Respect and letting them have full control of when they want to connect is the key. Also, as far as yelling, playing recordings of possible BF vocals and anything like that is NOT advised. Tree knocks seem to be fine, but the fact of the matter is you really don't have any idea what your "telling" them when you do that. I used to do all of that too, with minimal success. Now, I have been able to not only have success with activity, but have been able to share this with others.

Good Luck!

KB

• Upvote 2

To me, it's the essence of BFRO's unscientific approach to this that they run around the country trying various 'attractants' when the pattern of the reports to their own database shows that these animals shy away, at varying paces and with varying approaches (including aggression to drive away a threat, used by other apes as well) from human contact that they perceive as unexpected intrusion.

Set oneself up and stay.  (Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the lure of cheap TV-rating thrills...)

Great thoughts.  Honestly, the one way glass idea sounds very interesting, even though not quite practical.  But imagine building a small square structure in the forrest where you could completely hide out, be free of weather and bugs, and just observe.  As others stated, being completely invisible with posing no threat to any animal would allow all creatures to roam around free with their guard down. 

I do agree...constant presence in the forrest is the only way to increase interactions.  The BFRO tactics are quite a waste of time in my opinion, but these are such popular tactics for people on expeditions that i really find it interesting.  

But question...i have not seen or read much on how an actual wild ape or gorilla acts or responds when in the wild to a human presence?  I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere in the past but could not find anything on it.  Do they shy away and hide from human interaction as well? 

^^^Well, habituation is most certainly going on with mountain gorilla troops; it's the only way tourists ever get to see one.  The tactics are similar to what NAWAC is doing in Area X.  The way they census the un-habituated troops:  researchers spend five exhausting hours busting brush; see large dark patches of hair in the dense foliage, accompanied by lots of crashing; guesstimate how many gorillas that is; and spend five exhausting hours busting brush back.

With orangutans I imagine it's about the same, only maybe a bit easier - if at all - because of all the time they spend in trees.  High up in trees.  Um, never mind.

Reactions to humans run the gamut from terrified retreat to the acceptance and even curiosity of troops habituated to tourists and researchers to stealthy crop raiding to bluff charges and vegetation and rock throwing.  Hmmmm.  Similar to sasquatch reports.

Guest keninsc
But question...i have not seen or read much on how an actual wild ape or gorilla acts or responds when in the wild to a human presence?  I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere in the past but could not find anything on it.  Do they shy away and hide from human interaction as well? 

That may not apply, I personally don't think that Bigfoots are apes, but rather some undiscovered humanoid. But that's my take on it.

Guest keninsc

We're descended from apes but we're no longer apes, we are our own species. Bigfoots, I think, may be in the sort of boat, a species descended from apes but instead of evolving into humans they're headed in a different direction, and most likely into their own unique species.

I've been thinking lately, and I could be way off base, that one way glass could work if it's available to purchase.  Bipto talks about activity outside their cabin.  If he had one way glass instead of a window, he could be watching outdoors from the inside without being seen.  One way mirror may work as well.  If a cover was built out of one way glass with a trail cam inside, could it still be activated without a supposed bf knowing it was there?  When I see a crime show on tv with the bad guy being interrogated and the other cops watching from another room through one way glass, it always makes me think it would be great to have a big piece of it on a cabin wall looking outside.  Again, I could be way off here with the technology but it's a thought I get once in awhile.  :-)

t.

'One way glass' isn't really a thing...

It is just heavily tinted glass used in a situation whereby one side is kept in the dark (and therefore 'hidden') and the other is bathed in bright light. If you are on the bright side, the reflections of your side are stronger than the small amount of light which comes through from the dark side...