Eye Glow Seen In New Jersey By Law Enforcement Officer

^ Good question as it would not seem to help more efficient survival.

Unless, and this is speculation:

* BF do this to as a way to alert you of their position without the branch breaking, rock throwing, loud intimidation behavior.

* Their brain and heart are so large that there is a strong electrical charge that can be produced to make the eyes glow or perhaps even infrasound.

Sometimes you gotta think outside the box

Edited by Hellbilly

Well, if eye glow is a fact then how would this trait enable BF to survive more efficiently?

Easier for males and females to hook-up on dark nights?

Perhaps it's an evolutional trait that makes a potential threat go "Holy cow!  That dude's eyes are glowing, I ain't messin' with that!"

Cotter

If you could snap a sapling, emit a stench on demand and had glowing eyes I sure would not mess with you! You can probably only do one of these though....

Guest JiggyPotamus

I have not made up my mind on this issue, but I will not say that light-emitting eyes are a biological impossibility. It seems unlikely only because we have yet to witness such a thing among mammals, but even though bigfoot is an animal, it is very unconventional. Knowledge gained from other animals surely will apply in many instances, but maybe not all.

What I want to get across is that I believe it is a mistake to assume that for bigfoot to possess ocular bio-luminescence it must confer some benefit. Speaking from an evolutionary point of view mutations that give the animal some advantage over its competitors will cause those individuals without the mutations to slowly be replaced by those who possess them. I assume this is why one would think that for bigfoot to possess such a trait it offers some advantage over other sasquatch.

But why I believe this is wrong has to do with the fact that bioluminescence could simply be a secondary characteristic. Meaning that the bioluminescence might not be what is actually giving the animal some advantage, but rather that the thing offering the advantage has bioluminescence attached to it. So for instance perhaps their night-vision capabilities were developed and passed on thousands of years ago, but a by-product of that night vision are eyes that glow. If such a thing was true, and the emission of light did not have any downsides, then it could still be present in the population as well. Some freak characteristic developed from a strange mutation that is not detrimental to the survival of the organism could still be present and confer no benefit to the organism.

But my gut tells me that IF bigfoot truly do emit light from their eyes, then there is a reason for it. I just wanted to point out that this need not be the case. I suspect that, given the region of the body in question, emitting light from the eyes would have to do with night-vision in some manner. And another thing is that light-emitting eyes should not be detrimental to the survival of the animal, given that they have no predators. Or at least it is highly improbable that such an animal would have predators, given that animals capable of fighting a bigfoot, say like a bear, would likely not live after that fiasco...and thus over time bears would stop attacking sasquatch. My point is that they do not have to worry about predators, and as such even if their eyes emitted their own light and that light somehow hurt their vision, they still could retain such a characteristic as long as they did not have any trouble surviving.

But again, I am definitely not convinced that they emit their own light. I say it is a possibility since as everyone probably knows I place utmost importance on eyewitness testimony. One thing I have not figured out yet is just how likely one would be to confuse eye-shine with light-emitting??? I have stated in the past that I do not believe people would often confuse a bear for a bigfoot, given that their view is not incredibly obstructed, mainly because people are not stupid. So if there are many people claiming bigfoot are emitting their own light then I cannot discount such an idea.

So one could say that we have never seen such a characteristic in the animal kingdom, especially not among mammals, but I suspect this will not be the only "first" that bigfoot surprise us with. IF it is true of course, lol.

Well, if eye glow is a fact then how would this trait enable BF to survive more efficiently?

Or remain stealthy and hidden?

LeafTalker

Thanks for the post and the links, I remember that thread and had waded through 6 pages looking for it before starting the thread. Apologies to NJ and the LEO's.

I did not realize MM has been speaking of this for a year.. I wonder if he too has seen eye glow as he seems "all in" on this?

Cannot have too many threads on such a cool subject. And I wonder whether MM has seen eye glow, too. Maybe he just pays attention when other people speak about their experiences. How weird would THAT be?!? But some people are like that.  :)

* BF do this to as a way to alert you of their position without the branch breaking, rock throwing, loud intimidation behavior.

* Their brain and heart are so large that there is a strong electrical charge that can be produced to make the eyes glow or perhaps even infrasound.

Amen!

I have not made up my mind on this issue, but I will not say that light-emitting eyes are a biological impossibility. It seems unlikely only because we have yet to witness such a thing among mammals, but even though bigfoot is an animal, it is very unconventional. Knowledge gained from other animals surely will apply in many instances, but maybe not all.

...I have stated in the past that I do not believe people would often confuse a bear for a bigfoot, given that their view is not incredibly obstructed, mainly because people are not stupid. So if there are many people claiming bigfoot are emitting their own light then I cannot discount such an idea.

So one could say that we have never seen such a characteristic in the animal kingdom, especially not among mammals, but I suspect this will not be the only "first" that bigfoot surprise us with. IF it is true of course, lol.

Go, Jiggy! Yay! Another person who can think outside the box! You rock. I agree with your logic 100%. 

I have not made up my mind on this issue, but I will not say that light-emitting eyes are a biological impossibility.

Agreed. Before chameleons were DISCOVERED, the scientific world might never have believed independent eye movement was possible, either.

My point is simply that to discount something based on every other known species at this time might feel prudent, but we really can't know until we know. Ya know?

Everything about BF is weird. It's up to science to explain it, not discount everything out of hand due to some misguided need to fit it inside an existing biological box. It's all about discovery, right?

• Upvote 1

CC

I understand how this can bother some people and that is why I thought it was important to note that someone as well known as Matt would mention it.(and "tell you where you heard it first" MM)

I don't know how they do it but that they do. The red eye glow I saw was within 12' and as big around as a 50 cent coin(1.25"). I was not shining a light on it or have a light on at all. I have a friend that's career Army(24 yr. SF sniper) and he has seen them change color while he was looking at them. Kinda like a big mood ring.

I am pretty sure the red eye glow means: NOT happy

The large, red eyes I saw at my bedroom window in 2005 were right at 7 feet from me, 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 ft off the ground, and had a breadth of @ 4 inches between the 2 innermost parts of the eyes. I HAD turned the light on, and that is why I could not make out the shape behind/around the eyes. My house is surrounded by good habitat, I have learned, and had been empty for 6 months when we bought it.

Scared me to learn that RED meant angry...

I've also heard people say that the red color may indicate heightened emotion, and not necessarily anger. Juveniles, for example, when all het up on hormones and excitement, have been observed to have red eye glow. Wish I could cite a source for you, but I don't remember where/how I heard that. Probably was on a Midnight Walkers blog talk radio show.....   

Guest insanity42

Eyeshine would be an effect of another adaptation, specifically a lapetum lucidum, which reflects light back through the retina to increase the amount of light for the photoreceptors. The tapetum lucidum enhances night vision, while eyeshine is an effect, but not the adaptation itself.

Unfortunately neither the brain or the heart of any animal species produce such a electrical current. Of the species that do create strong electrical currents, all of which are fishes to my knowledge, do so using a pair of specialized muscles.

What I want to get across is that I believe it is a mistake to assume that for bigfoot to possess ocular bio-luminescence it must confer some benefit. Speaking from an evolutionary point of view mutations that give the animal some advantage over its competitors will cause those individuals without the mutations to slowly be replaced by those who possess them. I assume this is why one would think that for bigfoot to possess such a trait it offers some advantage over other sasquatch.

But why I believe this is wrong has to do with the fact that bioluminescence could simply be a secondary characteristic. Meaning that the bioluminescence might not be what is actually giving the animal some advantage, but rather that the thing offering the advantage has bioluminescence attached to it. So for instance perhaps their night-vision capabilities were developed and passed on thousands of years ago, but a by-product of that night vision are eyes that glow. If such a thing was true, and the emission of light did not have any downsides, then it could still be present in the population as well. Some freak characteristic developed from a strange mutation that is not detrimental to the survival of the organism could still be present and confer no benefit to the organism.

But my gut tells me that IF bigfoot truly do emit light from their eyes, then there is a reason for it. I just wanted to point out that this need not be the case. I suspect that, given the region of the body in question, emitting light from the eyes would have to do with night-vision in some manner. And another thing is that light-emitting eyes should not be detrimental to the survival of the animal, given that they have no predators. Or at least it is highly improbable that such an animal would have predators, given that animals capable of fighting a bigfoot, say like a bear, would likely not live after that fiasco...and thus over time bears would stop attacking sasquatch. My point is that they do not have to worry about predators, and as such even if their eyes emitted their own light and that light somehow hurt their vision, they still could retain such a characteristic as long as they did not have any trouble surviving.

But again, I am definitely not convinced that they emit their own light. I say it is a possibility since as everyone probably knows I place utmost importance on eyewitness testimony. One thing I have not figured out yet is just how likely one would be to confuse eye-shine with light-emitting??? I have stated in the past that I do not believe people would often confuse a bear for a bigfoot, given that their view is not incredibly obstructed, mainly because people are not stupid. So if there are many people claiming bigfoot are emitting their own light then I cannot discount such an idea.

I will agree that one cannot rule out light-emitting eyes, but I would say that the chances of such an anatomical feature is as likely as the sun not rising tomorrow. Such a phenomea has yet to be seen in any animal species not just mammals.

Are those who report glowing eyes reporting beams of light or something more like what is typically seen with raccoons or dogs. If it is the latter, that would suggest typical eyeshine to me, not light emission. Eyeshine can be a variety of colors; white, blue, red, green, yellow or pink and can vary depending on the angle that the light is reflected.

Even though humans lack a tapetum lucidum, there is a effect called leukocoria that will cause a white light reflection of the human eye. It can be a sign of various medical conditions including cataracts, Coat's disease, which can lead to cataracts and glaucoma, even parasites and some cancers. Perhaps the Sasquatch in question displaying eyeshine is old and going partially blind? Seems a more plausible explanation than light emission to me. Gorillas do get cataracts with age, much like us humans, and at least two have had surgery to correct it.

Miami Metrozoo gorilla Josephine gets cataract surgery - and new outlook on life

Eye surgeon brings a gorilla out of the mist

Why can't the reported eyeshine be something as mundane as typical eyeshine other animals exhibit or even just an aging individual?

I've also heard people say that the red color may indicate heightened emotion, and not necessarily anger. Juveniles, for example, when all het up on hormones and excitement, have been observed to have red eye glow. Wish I could cite a source for you, but I don't remember where/how I heard that. Probably was on a Midnight Walkers blog talk radio show.....   

Thanks for the info-- I appreciate learning these tidbits that are out there but hard to come by.

--Foxfire

Apparently OHZoologist may have seen the cone of light, too, but I can't find his post on that. 

That is correct. I saw eye glow not eye shine and they were green. It was 20 feet from me. Absolutely no light source  to reflect eye shine. I can't explain it, but I know what I saw. I could see dark pupils within the glowing green eyes.