Eye Glow Seen In New Jersey By Law Enforcement Officer

The other day I saw something on the science site called "Disco Oyster or Clam" and it was so unusual but it actually made its own light.  Bing it or google it, take your pick, I'm sure it will be found.

The large, red eyes I saw at my bedroom window in 2005 were right at 7 feet from me, 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 ft off the ground, and had a breadth of @ 4 inches between the 2 innermost parts of the eyes. I HAD turned the light on, and that is why I could not make out the shape behind/around the eyes. My house is surrounded by good habitat, I have learned, and had been empty for 6 months when we bought it.

Scared me to learn that RED meant angry...

holy mackerel.....that had to be an unsettling experience....

Yes, it was unsettling, but as I've said, Bigfoot never crossed my mind in those days.

I was scared, but I'm now thinking more *shocked.

I realize now that even though I looked down immediately at the bedspread, I KEPT WALKING TOWARD THE WINDOW.

My thought was, "If I don't react, IT won't react". (pretending to be unaware of it's presence, even though I had looked right at those red eyes, so I know it saw me see it~)

I wouldn't even allow my peripheral vision to see the window again.

Now-- the night I realized "something" was stalking/spying on me/my cats that night from behind my garage-- THAT was me, SCARED. I have never felt that exact feeling before... like an electrical charge in my shoulders and upper arms...  slack-faced and big-eyed... *not knowing what was watching me, and coming closer. 

Got back to the house and wouldn't let my husband go out to investigate, even though he had his shotgun.

I was that scared, that night.

Great report, KB. Thank you for sharing that. :)   

And thanks for that confirmation, OHZ! I remember reading what you said about seeing the pupils. I don't recall hearing that kind of detail about this anywhere else. Your experiences have been really fascinating. 

Hellbilly, great point about the wattage we produce. And Sunflower, I'm really looking forward to reading that report!  :)

Foxfire, others have mentioned feeling a charge of electricity, or energy of some kind, when around BF. I haven't felt that, so I'm envious! You're really tuned in. That's awesome. I hope that, if you continue to have encounters, they become a little less scary, a little more routine, and maybe even fun. (That seems to be the trajectory for a lot of people.)

BFF Patron

I will agree that one cannot rule out light-emitting eyes, but I would say that the chances of such an anatomical feature is as likely as the sun not rising tomorrow. Such a phenomea has yet to be seen in any animal species not just mammals.

Are those who report glowing eyes reporting beams of light or something more like what is typically seen with raccoons or dogs. If it is the latter, that would suggest typical eyeshine to me, not light emission. Eyeshine can be a variety of colors; white, blue, red, green, yellow or pink and can vary depending on the angle that the light is reflected.

Even though humans lack a tapetum lucidum, there is a effect called leukocoria that will cause a white light reflection of the human eye. It can be a sign of various medical conditions including cataracts, Coat's disease, which can lead to cataracts and glaucoma, even parasites and some cancers. Perhaps the Sasquatch in question displaying eyeshine is old and going partially blind? Seems a more plausible explanation than light emission to me. Gorillas do get cataracts with age, much like us humans, and at least two have had surgery to correct it.

Miami Metrozoo gorilla Josephine gets cataract surgery - and new outlook on life

Eye surgeon brings a gorilla out of the mist

Why can't the reported eyeshine be something as mundane as typical eyeshine other animals exhibit or even just an aging individual?

As to the red highlighted conclusion, patently not true, this shrimp produces light through a plasma arc......  http://www.nrgnair.com/MPT/02AIR/pistol.shrimp.htm

If something this small can generate temps of 18,000 deg. F  (and even loud sounds) then to me the sky is the limit for light emission capability among all living things.  

There is a whole scientific field called biophotonics:  cellular light communication processes

I have seen bigfoot light emission,  or "eyelights" as Henry Franzoni refers to them.   In my case there were visible white light emissions which were not coherent light but graduated such as brightening and dimming in the form of a rheostatic process almost.   They were unmistakable at six feet.  There was no missing what was happening as I was dark adapted and attuned to the situation at hand and it was unrelated to the red and green eyeshine or eyeglow which was notable from a distance (green in my case). from the same individual.  

Whether this is a sparingly used phenomenon I couldn't tell you, but the night of my sighting it seemed to be precipitated by a desire to determine what was in it's immediate pathway on the ground (and no they weren't sta-puff marshmallows, just roasted peanuts in the shell, lol).  

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

Guest insanity42

Some research shows fish and squids are the highest complex life form that actually use their eyes like flashlights or have bioluminescence.

So why does nature allow a huge jump from fish to a primate for this trait to appear again by way of the slow natural selection process? Maybe BF didn't evolve on earth or was this a freak DNA change that enabled BF to survive more easily?

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/bioluminescence.htm

Some bioluminescent life forms have an entirely different approach -- they make their own light and carry it around in their bodies.

One species of loosejaw fish, which lives in the deep ocean, can make red light. This light can't travel very far in the darkest parts of the ocean. Moreover, many deep-water species can't see the color red, so the loosejaw's red light may allow it to spot and sneak up on prey.

Lots of bioluminescent animals live at this depth, including jellyfish, squid, shrimp, krill, marine worms and fish. Most make light that has a wavelength of roughly 440 to 479 nanometers. This matches the blue-green sunlight that exists in this part of the ocean. The animals' glow can travel a long way, and it can blend in with the light from above. In some parts of the ocean, these animals, not the sun, are the primary source of light.

Note though that the article does not state any these animals produce light from their eyes. Some do have the bioluminescence organ near the eyes, but not within the eyes. No known species that exhibits bioluminescence possess glowing eyes.

Interesting article proves this is actually a reality in many species that have had "eye shine" evolve.

http://www.livescience.com/19315-bioluminescent-organisms-gallery.html

Flashlight Fish

PinExt.png Credit: © FMNH\L. Smith and AMNH\J. Sparks

Flashlight fish house[/size]icon1.png

bioluminescent bacteria in an organ under their eyes and use the light produced by the bacteria to communicate[/size]icon1.png, avoid predation, and to attract prey.

KB

Another interesting article. PROVEN by science to exist!

http://docmo.hubpages.com/hub/Animals-that-Glow-The-Science-of-Bioluminescence

KB

Eyeshine and bioluminescence are entirely different. Bioluminescence in general was never being questioned, but bioluminescence within the eyes was and is extremely unlikely.

Insanity42

There are more than just fish that produce electricity. Humans do too. Just Google "The Body Electric" by David Suzuki.

In short, if we produce enough juice to light a 15-20 watt bulb and if humans only use 10-30% of there brain , how much would a upright 8 ft. 1000lb. BF use???

Probably a lot more than us and with the capacity size of their cranium, well I wonder what they can light up??? Maybe jump start my Jeep??

KB Great report and thank you for sharing!

I wasn't refuting that living organisms produce electricity, all neurons do, but extremely small amounts. What I was opposed to is either the brain or the heart producing strong currents, or basically being power sources to light up the eyes. The typical potential generated is around 10-100 millivolts over several microns in distance compared to an electric eel's 600 volts. The brain does require about the same about of energy as a 20-watt light bulb, but it or the heart are not power sources and do not produce large amounts of electricity.

Do you mean the book The Body Electric by Robert O. Beeker or this article also titled The Body Electric by David Suzucki? I am not sure if that is the same David Suzuki who hosted the magazine, The Nature of Things.

Regardless, it is a myth that people only use a small amount of their brains. It likely originated from the neurological research done in the late 19th century to early 20th century. There is no basis for it being fact today, quite the opposite actually.

The other day I saw something on the science site called "Disco Oyster or Clam" and it was so unusual but it actually made its own light.  Bing it or google it, take your pick, I'm sure it will be found.

It is not bioluminescence though, just light reflection. Seems disco is an accurate description though.

Disco Clam

BFF Patron

Well, if eye glow is a fact then how would this trait enable BF to survive more efficiently?

No body yet, I would say that is pretty efficient!

Note though that the article does not state any these animals produce light from their eyes. Some do have the bioluminescence organ near the eyes, but not within the eyes. No known species that exhibits bioluminescence possess glowing eyes. Good observation

The author doesn't mention if any animals use their eyes like flashlights. It's more comparable to having a light strapped to the head.  BF may be the only one with flashlight eyes.

Insanity42 -   " Eyeshine and bioluminescence are entirely different. Bioluminescence in general was never being questioned, but bioluminescence within the eyes was and is extremely unlikely."

I'm thinking you base your statement on your experience and knowledge acquired during your life.....and I have no doubt that you believe all of it to be true.

I propose that you consider that other knowledgeable folks are doing the exact same thing....expressing their observations....conveying their knowledge....their experiences...which include something that myself and, apparently you,...have yet to witness...or know about. Whether they refer to "eyeshine" or "eyeglow",...doesn't matter

overall...perhaps the creatures are capable of both. Because we've not seen it,... doesn't automatically nullify the validity of their "knowledge". We each evaluate other folks statements - accounts...based on our knowledge.....we have to....in order to filter out mis-information,...misunderstood information, etc. and it's a learned process we develop as we acquire our knowledge....skepticism is not a bad thing. 

No question,....that a majority of folks have yet to actually "witness" ...to acquire the knowledge of.... the existence of  "hairy wild men" - BF - whatever we call them,....and most, if not all, would agree that their existence is...."extremely unlikely".....all based on their individual experiences and knowledge acquired during their lives.

I guess I'm trying to express the observation that we all have probably had an experience where we "believed" something to be one way....only to realize, later,...that it actually was another.   Anyone will likely be a skeptic before they become a believer....seeing something with your own eyes facilitates the transition. When the majority says it's one way ...and you know it's another....you tend to look at things differently.  

I posted about colors of eyes in #41 of this topic but totally forgot the pic a friend took of one with very blue eyes.........they looked like jewels.

I would be saying the same thing too. "It must be light reflecting through the tapetum lucidum" or something along those lines. It seems the most reasonable and probably is.

*Until you see them and up close and in the pitch dark! I don't know how they do it, I was only speculating it had something to do with electrical impulses and not a chemical reaction. Its not like they walk around with glowing eyes all night.

Anway, last night we had a pretty severe storm raging and I decided to go check on my spot. The storm passed over fairly quickly and the sky cleared some. I began to notice the animals started moving too and saw a deer, possum and a raccoon in fairly quick succession. I was able to see eyeshine from the possum and raccoon because I was in my truck at the time and see the animal. Not even close to what I saw in 2011.

Point being, once you experience it yourself, you will have more questions than answers.

I have seen bigfoot light emission,  or "eyelights" as Henry Franzoni refers to them.   In my case there were visible white light emissions which were not coherent light but graduated such as brightening and dimming in the form of a rheostatic process almost.   They were unmistakable at six feet. .  

Whoa...

By some accounts this would mean literally "within arm's reach"... or awfully close.

10' bigfoot... arms that hang below the knees...@/ close to 6" ???

I would like to change that last measurement to 6 FEET, instead of 6 inches.  <g>

Didn't see an edit button...

BFF Patron

Whoa...

By some accounts this would mean literally "within arm's reach"... or awfully close.

10' bigfoot... arms that hang below the knees...@/ close to 6" ???

Even though these were much smaller than King-size the "arm's reach" comment was certainly at play on one-side of the playing field.   Let's just say I am glad they weren't ten footers.