Knowing What You Now Know, How Would You React To A Close Daylight Sighting?

MNskeptic

Chris,

All good advice and I must say that we did catch a couple in broad daylight with a digital camera.  Hubby and I were taking pics of each other and sure enough it must have either piqued their curiousity or they recognized us because of the gifting tradition????  We were down the slope from where we left them treats and toys in the past.  It looks like juveniles several hundred feet behind us in each photo. They look very "monkeyish" if that's a word and my granddaughter saw the pic and immediately said "that's a monkey" so there's that.........

We had hoped that taking pics of one another would put them at ease and it did to an extent I just would have liked it better had they been closer.  But it was in the afternoon and hardly any leaves on the trees at that time so I'm grateful that we managed to get those two pics.

I love your tactics and believe it's good that we try to be good neighbors and not kill them.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Sunflower, I think that's a great idea. If you're in an area where you think you're being watched I think it's smart to take some pics of each other to show the device in your hand is not dangerous. Well done.

RE Gifting: I've tried leaving food and stuff before but the creatures in KY must not be very trusting. They never touched the fruit or vegetables but I think I had some luck with blackberries and another treat. I don't know for certain as I did not witness who or what took the berries but I think they did as I found a few tracks where the berries were left.

I think we should do a very limited "respectful observation" if we interact with these creatures. "Good neighbors" is an excellent term too. I like that. But like some guys, I was all for bagging one in the beginning. Then in 2010 I had an encounter with a family group and they had a toddler. Later I was able to get close to the group again with the little guy and got to observe their interactions with each other. The little guy had a face only his mother could love but my views changed largely because of him.

I decided that I couldn't sleep very well if I were to kill one of this family group's members. It'd be breaking up a family. A family the same as mine. So, I'm a no-kill advocate now, anyone else can do as they please but after learning these were thinking, caring and emotional individuals, that's too close to human for my conscience to bear. After all, no amount of money will ease a troubled conscience.

Science will have a body sooner or later without having to destroy one of these creatures . They're born, they get sick and injured, die of disease and old age, just like we do. There are many researchers patiently watching and waiting. It's just a matter of time. You're right, being a "good neighbor" is the way to go IMO too. Chris B.

Midnight Owl said:

The powerful, dominating presence I felt was likened to standing under a high voltage electrical transmission line snapping and popping with power.  As far as the subjects, they knew the land owner and were not the least bit threatening.  I couldn't imagine what I would have done with charges and growls!!

Susi says: Plus 1 to you!

I understand what you are saying plus feeling. I was within 5-7 feet of a Dogman, and I am too frightened now to do any research in the woods.

I know what is "Out There" and I have no wish to get close to anything like that ever again. I just sincerely wish a body could be displayed for the world to see so that laws can be passed, and people will be aware of the dangers in our woodlands.

I fear for the people who do not know, and could find themselves up against something like I witnessed:(

Susie,

I am very curious about your reluctance to return to the woods. It is certainly not unique and I've heard others share your feelings.

What was it about your sighting(s) that gave you this residual sense of fear and danger? At the time, did you feel the same danger or has it piqued over time?  Upon reflection, and with benefit of hindsight, was it the creature(s) behavior toward you at that time or is it your mental reprocessing of the encounter post mortem that has caused the most fear or anxiety?

Wiia

I would likely just freeze, slowly raise the camera that should be in my hand still, glance at it quickly to make sure it's recording, and aim it at the BF, while hoping that doesn't tick it off. If it saw me and dashed off I might try for another look, better view etc, but chasing it wouldn't happen. After it left, I'd probably be ready for a smoke, though I've switched to E-cig now.

Admin

I would say that my first reaction would be Awe. I am looking at something that is not supposed to exist. Then the reality of the situation would set in and the overload of adrenaline flowing through my body at this point and time would make me want to run. But, I would try to get a Selfie with the Bigfoot. Yeah right. LOL...  It would shake up anyone, the first time.  Truthfully, Being that close, I would probably look at the Bigfoot, say "They are Real", and fall over backwards...LOL 

It would be a scary situation. The countless reports of witnesses who refuse to return to the forest after encountering a Bigfoot, speaks volumes.

I used to think I would have no fear. My curiosity and my naive belief that EVERY Bf was a gentle creature would override everything. Now that i've made some sense out of the Missing 411 books and some other materials, I can say my mind just does not know anymore... not that I'm sure BF is responsible for any missing people but hey, we humans kick out a bad apple about every 10th child so why wouldn't BF?

Edited by clownboy

^^^ LOL.  I saw your mug on this topic line and I thought, do I even need to click that - I know what he is going to say!

Truthfully, Being that close, I would probably look at the Bigfoot, say "They are Real", and fall over backwards...LOL

sorta like this ?

Admin

That was what I was thinking when I wrote that...LOL

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

I had to plus one your first post Chris, great advice. Good to see you on here and posting.

Thanks Woodsman, I'm here, normally only reading. I can't help but jump in when a juicy topic gets going though. Best, Chris B.

BOOM!

If you're ever in the KY area late Fall or early Spring with a few days to spend, give me a holler. My number is on my website. I'd like to show you something.  Chris B.

SSR Team

Am I reading this wrong or is Chris reading Norse's "BOOM!" Possibly the wrong way..;)

Thanks Woodsman, I'm here, normally only reading. I can't help but jump in when a juicy topic gets going though. Best, Chris B.

If you're ever in the KY area late Fall or early Spring with a few days to spend, give me a holler. My number is on my website. I'd like to show you something. Chris B.

Never in Kantuck bud. What is it?