Want To Take Pictures On Our National Forests?

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

The Forest Service just announced that it intends to require a permit to take commercial photographs in the National Forests.     Somehow that is going to save the forest.      Finding Bigfoot,   and any other non popular with the government commercial photo shoots will probably be refused, sand bagged, or never approved.     If you think that only applies to movie companies, nature photographers, and wedding photographers you are wrong.     Many Bigfoot Forums have subscription services,  or pop up ad revenue so they could be considered commercial enterprises, so if someone like me posts a picture I took in the National Forests,  I would be in violation of their permit system.     You can be sure if I ever took a picture of a bigfoot in a National Forest, and had it published in a book or forum like this,   they would be on me instantly and fine me for taking a picture without a permit.    Another case of the Federal Government forgetting who owns the forest.    They think they do.  

I read of this. Although it reeks of a forbidden subject here, I cannot fathom how regulating light wave exposures on photo optic circuitry or silver emulsions can under any sane persons thought train can be a useful, good, positive, or any other adjective of that ilk.  Other than another shake down scheme of the very people who actually do appreciate and mostly are the driving force behind any conservatory actions of our beloved outdoors, I can see nothing good that can come of it. I mean how can the free use of a camera be of harm to things? 

BFF Patron

Anyone that posts on Google earth will be in violation.      There are thousands of photos on Google earth posted by people,  and Google is a commercial enterprise.      I think we need to let our congressmen (women here) know what we think about this.    As for me I will never reveal the location of a picture I take.      Artists will not even be able to paint a picture if they intend to sell it.   Enforcement will be selective like everything else the government enforces.    If they do not like your activity,  they will come after you.  

Read the entire article on Snopes.com and at the very bottom of the article it explains that "movies production companies" (commercial) would be the prime interests here.  I doubt seriously if you or I would get in trouble for taking pics in a National Forest.  Everyone should comment if they feel the need and there is a link on the Snopes article at the bottom to post your comments.  Speak up....

When this was put in place in 1964 these issues may not have been discussed, I'd have to check.

Guest lightheart

What makes you think this Hairy Man?

I think that would be very sad. Humans that learn to appreciate wild areas and all that lives there make better stewards of the planet overall.

SSR Team

How sad..

BFF Patron

If you role into a park in a van with production equipment and a sign on the sign of it you are gonna attract attention.  Otherwise, as I understand it the casual tourist and adventurers are not going to have trouble with this.  There is enough enforcement problems that USDA and NPS has to deal with in tree rustlings, hostage situations, kidnappings and general unruliness that sicking badges on painters is not going to amount to much. 

BFF Patron

Maybe so but weddings and wedding photography etc are already prohibited in many public areas.   The quickest way to have the government say no is to ask them if you can do something.    With the rate of deterioration of the Forest Service roads, no one will able to get into many areas soon to take pictures anyway.    

The government wants your comments on this issue and you can submit comments at the link below.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/09/04/2014-21093/proposed-directive-for-commercial-filming-in-wilderness-special-uses-administration?utm_campaign=email+a+friend&utm_medium=email&utm_source=federalregister.gov

Here is another link to see what Gabe Rottman of the ACLU says about it:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/smokey-says-get-permit-shutterbug

I think the rule is nonsense and needs to be stopped.

SSR Team

You know what I think this has something to do with ?

The new drone craze that i know is getting more and more popular, in the PNW anyway, with pro photographers.

The powers that be DO NOT like it one little bit.