Using Game Cams As An Excuse For No Existance

Painthorse

Reconyx; the deer look straight into the lens due to the noise from the color correcting filter clicking in or out of the light path. Reconyx trigger so fast that the little filter slaps into place. Quite noisey day or night.  Silent Image series was monchromatic so no moving filter. Rapidfire series has the filters as does the hyperfire series. Noise aside, they are the fastest. I have checked Silent Image cameras to 4--5 images per second. A way to eliminate the filter noise is to remove the switching solenoid and lock the filter to IR mode. Weird day images, but quiet. This is advanced camera tweaking, not suitable for many 'researchers'.

I always thought hunters liked a horned animal looking into the camera so they could fantasize about the rack. They have a lot of images of dead animals on their phones that they proudly display.

The noise that humans can hear is a small part of noisy trail cameras. The ultrasonic noise is obnoxious, especially when the capacitors charge up and discharge for the flash.  Special meters are needed to detect the ultrasonic noise. Generally speaking, Reconyx send more noise out of the left side of the case. Years ago, I bought a trail camera mount that had a ball fixture with quick release and steel mounting plate. I never found out if the fake camo scheme was painted or powder coated ( outgassing factor ). The mounting plate was a reflector/projector for ultrasonic noise. Scrapped it and made a wood mounting plate. I do not waste money on bear boxes. Trail cameras are not very directional in noise transmission and can be termed to have 'spherical projection' even though it is  asymmetrical.  They are screamers.

An additional factor is ultraviolet reflectence. Deer have impressive vision in low light situations in the UV spectrum below 400nm. Humans see nothing in this region due to a yellow pigment in our lens that blocks UV. Trail cameras, mounting straps, boxes and cables may have a UV blue appearance to forest animals with low light vision. Green is the absolute worst color for a human to use to disguise themselves and equipment. Never attempt to imitate a 'biological green'..Dawn and dusk, the change of rod(black and white) night vision and cone (color) day vision is when your artificial greens stand out. Manufacturers will put UV reflective components in outdoor equipment to protect the item from harmful UV light. A low cost black light for testing can be found for less than $20. You and your equipment might look like glow bugs. Forest animals don't like that.

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

Chuck the excuses, perhaps use the ultrasonics to your advantage in the research.  Focus on devices that can play flying squirrel ultrasonic vocals and those of other rodents (frogs, insects, bats).

If BF munches or lunches on such delectables, as we know they do, witness the Estacada OR ground squirrel incident and rock stacking BF's, then a research protocol might be of interest to them, if they in fact may be sensitive to ultrasonic barrages from the myriad of life such as katydids, frogs, rodents, bats that produce such sounds that are on the menu. 

We are assuming that because game cams are noisy to ungulates that they are also noisy to BF (as they may be to us).  And thus, we can not trip them up due to noise.  Well, if you can't beat them, join them.  http://www.wildmountainechoes.com/equipment/options-for-recording-ultrasounds/

Perhaps it is something along these lines that BF uses to plant those telepathic engrams: http://www.google.com/patents/US6052336

Lot of sound for thought there.  Maybe gamecam weaknesses are trying to tell us something. 

Edited by bipedalist

^^^

Good call Bipedalist. 

My first trail camera was not a Reconyx. I was meandered around place to place getting use to it. And then

I found Reconyx. The 1st camera set up involved a stump that was 14 feet away from the RM45. I blew a chipmunk off of the stump when the camera triggered. It was a small, free ranging, organically grown chipmunk that climbed up the far side of the stump. The camera triggered when it got on the top of the stump. It freaked out and flew off of the stump.  

We know that some animals communicate with ultrasonic sounds to avoid alerting predators to their location.

Bipedalist's suggestion merits looking into.

Nothing like a tasty snack of Golden Mantle Ground Squirrel.  Yum. An Oregon delicacy.

I will pass on the telepathic stuff.

BFF Patron

This site actually provides some of the downloadable sound files on flying squirrels:  Though if truly ultrasonic it'd be hard to hear them maybe just view the spectrogram.  

I saw a thread in Facebook that les stroud got something very interesting on one of his game cams and it will be covered in an upcoming episode. Anyone have a Connection with him?

Bigfoot don't appear to have any problem with getting close to humans or human related items such as cars, homes, and other items. All of these items are covered with human scent and many of them move or make sounds.

Are we suggesting that Bigfoot intuitively know what a game cam does or is used for?

Why are they willing to get close to all things human, with the exception of devices that will capture an image? The only logical explanation is they know the purpose of a camera and don't want any documentation of their existence.

@Cisco, I haven't seen anywhere in this thread unless I missed it, that b/f know what a game cam does or is used for.

Sure they are seen near homes, vehicles, etc. "BUT" JMO the cams are something "out of place" in "their territory" and do make a sound when triggered and either flash or glow. JMO, I do not believe that human scent is a deterrent, but I do believe that the functioning mechanisms of a cam "can be" do to what I have experienced with the actions displayed by the normal animals when they are in range of the cams when triggered. "Or they wouldn't be looking directly at the cam at that "split second".

As I have mentioned on this forum previously, I have not been able to capture a bear or wolf on my wildlife cams.  I know they were coming around frequently because I had audio recorders out that captured their vocals a few feet from the recorder multiple times during the night.  This is when the cameras were turned off and we were sleeping inside.
I find tracks in the winter from wolves and moose, but they are always on the side of the cabin without the wildlife cam.  If I move the camera to the other side of the cabin they go to the side without the camera.  If I place cameras on both sides their tracks are found about 20 to 30 ft. behind the camera - never crossing in front of it.  I can't detect a sound coming from the camera when it is triggered.

I doubt very much that a wolf, bear or moose know that cameras capture their image, so it must be something else that is keeping them away from the area where the camera is located.  I guess I can only assume a bf must have similar or greater awareness of cameras.

Bigfoot don't appear to have any problem with getting close to humans or human related items such as cars, homes, and other items. All of these items are covered with human scent and many of them move or make sounds.

Are we suggesting that Bigfoot intuitively know what a game cam does or is used for?

Why are they willing to get close to all things human, with the exception of devices that will capture an image? The only logical explanation is they know the purpose of a camera and don't want any documentation of their existence.

It might not be the image capture though, it might be that they know  that the **** things flash off (in the past maybe, and some old flash models out there still) and render you night blind for a good 30 minutes or so, that's reason enough to avoid them.

Coffee2go,

If you really want to get images of bears, then buy a gallon of the cheapest vegetable oil you can find and dump it out at your 'target area' of your cameras.

Coffee2go,

If you really want to get images of bears, then buy a gallon of the cheapest vegetable oil you can find and dump it out at your 'target area' of your cameras.

I don't really want a gallon of vegetable oil dumped next to my cabin to attrack a bear. :unsure:  I was just pointing out how certain animals were coming around frequently and were able to avoid the cameras and I was pretty sure it wasn't because they knew their picture was being taken.

Well in Minnesota you might not want to attract the bears to that extent, at least not while your around. Though my run ins with black bear

have always been uneventful, they run off. I got nervous when one was investigating my campground, but it got nervous when it was seen 

and fled.

I don't really want a gallon of vegetable oil dumped next to my cabin to attrack a bear. :unsure:  I was just pointing out how certain animals were coming around frequently and were able to avoid the cameras and I was pretty sure it wasn't because they knew their picture was being taken.

People around here use stale donuts and gummi bears by the pound in their bait piles and get immediate interest! Sasquatch love hard candy and pennies too.

Edited by Gumshoeye