Looking For Your Opinion

Daniel Perez

It seems to me that a substantial number of Bigfoot researchers have grown tired of having their integrity questioned time and again for doing nothing more than reporting the complete truth of what they observed and documented. On the flip side, the game players and deceitful charlatans have given the general public valid reasons for not accepting things at face value.

I wish I could submit a name for you, but it seems this year has been a bust and most folks have rigged for silent running...

• Upvote 1

Jeff Meldrum, hands down.

He has almost singlehandedly made this a legitimate topic (even though most of the world is far behind him).  He's even gotten it on the curriculum at his university.  His approach is relentlessly scientific; anyone who brings up that stupid Standing Connection isn't paying attention.

Nobody puts himself farther out on a limb more often.  His missteps such as they are are precisely because of that.  Any time a scientist takes risks like he has, he should be recognized for it.

...although, hey, I'd go for a split of the award with Opit.

That that isn't big news just shows how far ahead of the mainstream the scientific proponents are.  And for no good reason.  Compared to hairy hominoids, plate tectonics is flat loony.

Actually, as has been mentioned, given the publication of WRMP this year, maybe I could call this a three-way with Bill Munns. 

Now, if it goes to one person and no splits, it's a tough call.  Munns has a landmark work but Meldrum has been a whirlwind of activity, the lack of notice of which, within this very field, is sufficient evidence how far the field in general lags behind its leading lights.

OK, so maybe Opit waits until next year.  But good call putting him in there.

OK, so maybe Opit waits until next year.  But good call putting him in there.

The discoverer of a new species of gorilla-like animal in Australia can wait till next year to be recognized? That would only be ok if Opit discovers the Yowie again in 2015...

Well, he didn't discover it.  Many many people have discovered it before him.  They just haven't gotten any credit.

Opit's assertion is definitely moving the scale.  But he hasn't essentially proven the field's most iconic piece of evidence genuine, nor has he gotten the topic on the curriculum at his university.

I think this is for the guy who has done the most to advance the ball.  It's not a slam dunk for any of the three, but Meldrum and Munns would get the nod from me.  Now let them fight it out.

Admin

Bill Munns, by a mile.

BFF Patron

Les Stroud would be a joke, Bill Munns by a mile.  Bill gave alot to the field and took no money from it until his recent grants and book sales.  Commercializing the BFer of the year by handing it to a TV fanboy is sacrilege (esp. given his lack of vetting of the TSer).  Given this Marc Myrsell's refind efforts of the ape canyon miners cabin to be presented tomorrow at Hopssquatch in Portland, I'd say he has done some huge work this year as a new talent also.  The year is not over yet, so hold on to your seat.  Another possibility would be Monongahela (pseudonym) for the guy that owns the sasquatch bioacoustic website, he has done alot to bring understanding to putative sasquatch/bigfoot audiofiles, recording and analysis (likes to fly under the radar some not using his real name though, not unlike some other people we know, lol).  

Edited by bipedalist

thanks for bringing up the ape canyon guy bipedalist, I nearly forgot about  that. that could be interesting.

not knocking bill, and I  appreciate all that he's done regarding the PGF..... but there is sooo much more to BFery than one film that is basically still (officially) up in the air decades later.

folks are still seeing something  now , not 40 years ago....... and that's where this will be solved, if ever, imo.

BFF Patron

Gary Opithttp://garyopit.com/

For announcing "the discovery of a new species of gorilla-like animal generally known as the Yowie." 30 August, 2014.

I do not know why this has not been big news already...

Do you have a link to this event? I don't see it on his website.

How about awarding it to Brian Dunning? For demonstrating that skeptics are capable of committing fraud while there are no still no cases of anyone being charged with Bigfoot-related fraud...

Yep, I didn't find it either.

It appears a Meldrum-ichnotaxonomy-paper sort of event, but I'd need to see more.

I have an audio recording of his presentation and am in the process of transcribing it. The presentation was also recorded on digital video by the Australian Ape Project and which they say will be uploaded in the near future...

Opit also addressed 100 of Australia's top zoologists at a conference of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales in late 2013 with a separate presentation entitled, "The Value of Anecdotal Reports and Implications of Results of Amateur Zoological Researchers" which is also soon to be published in their journal the Australian Zoologist...