Deer Carcass

Hellbilly

Northern Lights

Just curious.....did you notice any leg bone fractures and the marrow had been removed?

And you are checking for a liver.

Have you been suspicious that the eyes had been sucked out?

Hellbilly

Northern Lights

Just curious.....did you notice any leg bone fractures and the marrow had been removed?

And you are checking for a liver.

Have you been suspicious that the eyes had been sucked out?

There wasn't anything left except for the skull and hind legs.  As you can see in my picture, both legs were broken with spiral fractures, which requires torque or twisting motion.  Canines don't usually cause that type of damage.  They splinter bones with downward pressure, not a twisting motion.  Here is a closer look.

10957436_600887953379717_236889844072240

I agree it looks like a break, but the $64,000 question is what did it?  The night before we found this, I watched a 9 footer through a thermal for about 15 minutes as it walked up to our camp and then walked away.  It is a squatchy area, so it's a good chance this is from the big guy.  

Well I would say that would be a reasonable deduction. If you noticed teeth marks indicating chewing or gnawing, I would look toward common predators such as coyotes, wolves, bear, wolverines, (fill in the list if I left anything out) but barring that, and no possible roadways nearby that could very well be your answer.

When we go out and locate carcasses, I would lightly rake away leaves until I reached a dirt surface looking for anything that may identify any paws prints. I even considered packing along a battery charged leave blower to see underneath the leaves but haven’t got around to it. But the idea of packing extra weight on those hot summer days doesn’t appeal to me at all.   

Edited by Gumshoeye

Nice picture Northern Lights! The most unusual deer carcass I found was when I was in High School many years ago and camping in Pisgah NF. We were camping by a creek and the next morning I was walking up stream and found a deer kind of wedged around a medicine ball sized rock about 3 feet from the edge of the creek in some icy, slower moving water. There was no obvious(to me at the time) C.O.D and my first impression was the deer was being "refrigerated" until later. I did not even suspect or think BF at the time, only thought was that I had been drinking water downstream from that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this today when I went out after a heavy storm came through so no tracks. The ground is packed hard too. It is very close to the area(less than a mile) where I found two other carcasses. I would say boar based on the spine and black hair I found.  I should have pulled out my tape measure and will this weekend if it's still there.

It's become a bit disconcerting, the number of remains I have found recently.

post-21068-0-61606000-1427504739.jpg

post-21068-0-05479300-1427504781.jpg

post-21068-0-98248100-1427504807.jpg

This was one of the more interesting indepth reports one individual made in the great mitten state, and what I presented here is the shortened, condensed and brief version. The individual went on and on about pile after pile of deer and game bones. He spoke about being chased away being herded by more than one Sasquatch and also explained why he felt there were two very different types of Sasquatch in Michigan.   

Hiking, Caves

1979 Summer

Muskegon County, Michigan

“I saw on one walk an animal of tall stature, many "bear dens" and deer carcasses cached high in trees. I saw bone pillars. Piles of bones stacked two and three feet high in a very dense area of the wood. I will tell you, there are more than one type of "bigfoot" living out there, the larger more reported, and a smaller not so reported. The smaller has closer to humanlike features, and resides in upper Michigan. Bone piles were from multiple animals, medium to small, mammal and fish. Fish were clearly identifiable as well as rabbit and muskrat. The two bone piles were about five feet apart. I had taken was along the deer trail, up from the creek, and between the two large dens, might have been a bit stupid that. I was traveling east to west, about twenty feet from the "den" area, and a hundred or so feet from another area with den-like hollows, That is when grunting and thrashing, like tree shaking began, directly behind me and to the right "north" of me, which cut me off from the trail and sent me through the woods an area not clear. It was pitch black that night and I honestly didn't feel looking was the wise choice...I ran. The creature pursued and was making a great deal more noise than myself. I was herded, I was not allowed to go north, but straight west to the road. Once I hit the road, I kept running, but the creature stopped pursuit a few yards short of the tree line, I believe because there was a lighter darkness due to loss of tree cover, and I may have been what it considered a safe distance away from what it protected. Whatever the reason it chose to stop. The heavy steps told me this was something that outweighed me considerably. The one directly behind was in charge of the chase. It was too big to be a large cat, and the vocals did not match a bear, that and it sounded bipedal. “

I found this earlier this month but in a different location from the pictures above. I was surprised to see it. I almost stepped on it. This pile of hairy scat was a few feet away.

post-21068-0-52832900-1427508439.jpg

post-21068-0-95893500-1427508669.jpg

Coyotes don't usually twist and break a deer's leg????  Breaking deer legs as they pass an ambush spot has been reported.  A fawn was being attacked at a friend's house just beyond her property and she heard a "bleet" noise and a "crack" and that was it, silence.

As far as the scat?  Not sure could be anything.  I've seen scat that looks like dog poo but suspect yotes just because of where I was.  Some was black as if it had blood in it, some was dark brown but all of it was no bigger than a "tootsie roll"  which is what I mentioned to my hubby at the time. 

I think it'd be interesting if someone preserved a fresh anomalous deer kill and had a quasi coroner's inquest (obviously with a qualified individual) much like a human murder

investigation....

Any thoughts on this????.....This past fall I was helping my dad track a deer he shot during bow season....We found 5-6 deer skulls with antlers intact within a hundred yard

radius...Most likely explanation is coyote predation....

Edited by clubbedfoot

I think it'd be interesting if someone preserved a fresh anomalous deer kill and had a quasi coroner's inquest (obviously with a qualified individual) much like a human murder

investigation....

Any thoughts on this????.....This past fall I was helping my dad track a deer he shot during bow season....We found 5-6 deer skulls with antlers intact within a hundred yard

radius...Most likely explanation is coyote predation....

actually it was more like 7-10 skulls....but I still say coyote kills or pehaps some disease....