Deer Carcass

I found this fresh deer kill last weekend and took some pictures of it and went back less than 24 hours later and to see if it was there and take possible comparison pictures. This is the 2nd time I have found a dead deer. The first time I was camping in Pisgah NF in High School(85-86!).We were camping beside a creek and it was so cold there was ice on the slow moving waters edge of the bank. I had walked upstream after the first night and found a deer laying in a about a foot of the icy water with no readily apparent cause of death. My first thought was like it was in a refrigerator but I never considered all the possibilities. I went back and told everyone not to drink out of the stream.

I have seen LOTS of deer road kill that have taken much longer to disappear and wanted to get input on what kinda kill this was. I noticed the rear haunch has been eaten first and figured coyote but is that protruding bone normal? This was not a road kill and no blood laying around the deer anywhere. I don't hunt deer so I am not sure what I am looking at.

post-21068-0-25008100-1418350262.jpg

post-21068-0-86959400-1418350287.jpg

Guest JiggyPotamus

I pulled up some pictures of what a deer skeleton is supposed to look like, and the bone that sticks out does seem to be normal. One part connects to the lower leg and the other to the shoulder, or whatever it is called in deer. So my guess is that there is nothing abnormal about that, but I cannot be certain. My first guess would be a death from natural causes, if there is no visible sign of trauma. Obviously if a scavenger gets to it first you will have a more difficult time determining the cause of death, especially if they got to a portion that showed signs of the cause of death. I suppose that someone who knows what they're doing would be able to tell regardless of the condition, but that might take an actual autopsy in some cases. I doubt anyone who could do that would do it. Anyway, there are a lot of ideas out there regarding bigfoot and deer. I am of the opinion that deer most definitely are prey animals for a sasquatch, and I am of the opinion that a sasquatch would most likely eat more than the organs. I do not know how nourishing the non-flesh portions of a deer would be, but I suspect that the caloric requirements of a sasquatch would have convinced them that the meat was worth eating at some point in their history. But I also suspect that sasquatch do not need to eat all the time, considering that larger animals located far north of the equator generally eat less often than smaller animals. So they eat more, but less often. That is just a possibility at this point, and I am not certain of the idea by any means.

I am just raising the question that many have raised in the past, whether bigfoot eat deer meat, or whether they pick certain organs for consumption, leaving the rest. An answer to this question is very important for determining whether a bigfoot caused the death of a deer that is found. But since we cannot definitively know the answer, that doesn't really help us does it? So pretty much, at the end of the day, we cannot know. Going off of probabilities alone, it is much more likely that a scavenger will get to a deer before a bigfoot does. This is simply a numbers game. So the more important question would be whether the bigfoot killed the deer, considering that a random deer carcass is not likely to have any affiliation with sasquatch. It is much harder for other animals to kill deer, seeing as how deer are more agile than potential predators. And we would not term certain animals "scavengers" if they were the ones doing the killing the majority of the time. Like I said I believe bigfoot eat deer, but I have no clue how often. Deer could be a delicacy to them, perhaps hard to come by, due to the swiftness of the deer. Maybe other animals cause more deer deaths than bigfoot. I cannot see bigfoot discarding the main portions of a deer either, because it does not really fit in my opinion. I can understand that perhaps they wouldn't want to eat raw meat, especially if they lack teeth designed for cutting such food, which would mean they would have to kill a lot of deer if those animals made up a large portion of the bigfoot diet, yet the bigfoot only ate a few of the internal portions. So I cannot really arrive at any definitive conclusion, unfortunately. At the very least there might be some ideas here that will help someone else arrive at a conclusion.

The bottom pic is obviously very fresh as you can see very little decay of the soft tissue and also, I see little sign of scavenging from coyote, wolf, etc. It looks like the deers right rear leg was broken. The easy soft tissue is still intact and coyote and other smaller scavengers will go for that first. I don't see the normal tearing of tissue that larger scavengers do....ie...rip pieces off and take them a couple yards away to eat them.

My guess? Car or truck hit it breaking its hind leg and doing some other tissue damage. It looks like most of the rear haunch is still there just folded over and part of the rear leg under the front of the deer. Of course I wasn't there and it is a bit difficult to tell by the picture. Cool find Hellbilly.

I bury one or two a year on my property, they can get whacked by a car and go a hundred yards or more and fall over dead. If it is very fresh and a predator kill it's pretty obvious. Even if there are no cats (mountain lions) or yotes around the buzzards will take a kill and have it pretty torn up in a matter of days, but they usually have help from other forest critters.

Really tough to say what killed that one.

Was the neck broken on either one? It doesnt seem as if it were twisted, in a squatchy way. But the rear end torn off? No animal is going to cleanly tear the rear leg off like that. Too clean I would imagine (bottom).

I had meant to post the bottom pic first. It is the same deer only less than 24 hours prior. When I found it there was not even a fly near it! I remember on a MQ where they put out a deer and it lasted much longer than this one.

At first I thought it was hit by a vehicle too but it is nowhere near a main road. I found it off a FS road that has so many potholes the fastest you can safely drive is about 25 mph (unless I guess you had a truck built for the Baja race). After watching that old MQ(Skunk ape episode) I was surprised how fast this one was stripped clean. I have also found other remains

I wanted to add the common thread between these pictures is they were all taken on(or just off) the same dirt road I had my road crossing sighting. The buried animal is probably done by a person, but why in the middle of the NF?

post-21068-0-02582900-1418483071_thumb.j

post-21068-0-73837600-1418483133.jpg

post-21068-0-16948200-1418483257_thumb.j

These are deer related cases out of Michigan.

November 2004

Citizen monitoring police scanner says Michigan DNR received two reports of a large brown 7 foot tall ape-like creature carrying a dead deer crossing a trail inside Waterloo State Recreation Area.   

November 2004

Washtenaw County Sheriff’s were called to investigate several well hidden dead deer all of which had broken hind legs and insides missing in the woods Ypsilanti Township.

October 2004

Citizen monitoring police scanner says Michigan DNR officer reported Washtenaw County Sheriff’s had a report west of Chelsea, a hunter found a large 12 point buck with the head twisted off, insides torn out   

November 2003

Washtenaw County Sheriff’s were called to investigate a series of dead deer all of which were twisted and lined up in the wood line in Superior Township turned over to Michigan DNR.

May 1995

Dogs chased a deer and went after them and heard a yell with Bigfoot in full charge after them out of woods.

May 1995

Man clearing land discovers hindquarters of young deer ripped in two, hears pine trees shaking, loud and heavy footsteps in tall brush with deep foul growls.      

Edited by Gumshoeye

I would think there would be more scatter with a pack of coyotes. Maybe a bear, but if you've had a sighting in the area, the kill looks way to clean to be either, no? Looks like it took off some hide, nicely, not torn to shreds.

ditto on possible car hit. my wife hit one about that size (button buck, small antlers just starting to poke out) and was only going about 25 - 30 when it ran out. broke the back leg and the deer was laying there when I came by to check on her so I finished it off.

another possible cause of deer death with no marks / damage is CWD   http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.main

cwd is not everywhere, but it has spread some with some states doing random tests to monitor presence or spread.

fwiw, a carcass can quickly attract vultures / buzzards too. a large group of them can quickly polish off a small deer.

besides, a little one like that would be a snap for a big strong BF to carry off whole.

that is an interesting question... the leg bone is still there, but there appears to be a fold of hide bunched up at the rear leg joints. 

as mentioned no twisted / broken neck as far as can be seen  in the pic . maybe a poacher skinned / peeled back to get the hindquarters / backstraps and had to leave in a hurry before finished.

might have been interesting to see if the liver was still intact before the rest of the scavengers got to it.

Looks like poacher kill to me. Never seen a scavenged carcass that "neatly" opened up. No mess of hair piled up near it. Pretty clean skin line. Did you check for internal organs? Are you suggesting its a BF kill?

cant tell from the pic if the backstraps  were cut out,  but the poacher angle is a possibility if they were.

some slobs will do that, take the choice cuts  and waste the rest.

Doc Holliday, on 14 Dec 2014 - 6:14 PM, said:

cant tell from the pic if the backstraps  were cut out,  but the poacher angle is a possibility if they were.

some slobs will do that, take the choice cuts  and waste the rest.

Looks like that happened but why take off so much hide to get at the backstrap? Humans have knives.

Did BF grab the hide, rip it off, grap and rip out the back strap for a well needed snack? If true, were you next?..............grim thought. The whole process looks too crude for human back strap harvesters.

Did the other side look the same way?