2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

Certainly one day a book will be written after exhaustive studies of the creature and it's habits,

hope I live to see that day and get a real picture of how they managed to be discreet during the

winter months, how they raise their young, I mean the list goes on.  It will be some kind of revelation

to the average joe.

My working hypothesis is they do hibernate, to some extent. It could either be the deep ursine-type metabolic, respiratory, digestive shut-down, or something less, and possibly both, depending. Some sighting accounts describe a seated position, arms locked around drawn up knees, and some kind of altered or meditative state. (BTW, that body position is ideal for conserving core body heat and minimizing contact with the ground) This might be something they can do at will, triggered by who-knows-what conditions. Something with hands and this strength could also gather a pile of stores in pretty short order, when and if it is plentiful. Once done, the critter could hunker down in a hole, root ball excavation or cave for a long time.

Well have you heard of the Ray Wallace/Laurie Simmons tree?  This is the one Sykes, Adam Davies, and others visited.  Apparently

a large male Sasquatch had some type of underground den that had a little peep hole under a Pine tree.  It was heard pounding the

ground from below, as well as growling, and an occasional full on roar.  Another group of Sasquatch in this same area had mounds

that they lived under.  The entrances to these hidden quarters were never found despite a diligent search.  So there might be some

very interesting discoveries down the road.  This might be highly localized behavior, or it may be more prevalent I do not dare to make

any conclusions.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

My working hypothesis is they do hibernate, to some extent. It could either be the deep ursine-type metabolic, respiratory, digestive shut-down, or something less, and possibly both, depending. Some sighting accounts describe a seated position, arms locked around drawn up knees, and some kind of altered or meditative state. (BTW, that body position is ideal for conserving core body heat and minimizing contact with the ground) This might be something they can do at will, triggered by who-knows-what conditions. Something with hands and this strength could also gather a pile of stores in pretty short order, when and if it is plentiful. Once done, the critter could hunker down in a hole, root ball excavation or cave for a long time.

What I'd say is that we see all the NA bears - generally considered by those in the know the ecological parallel - doing the winter nap thing.  I'd also say Patty looks fattened up  for a lie-down.

BFF Patron

Hey, just a question as one researcher to another, what do you feel about the winter months? Do these creatures limit their travel do to leaving tracks in certain conditions, or do they move about without regard to leaving these obvious traces. While we live in totally different environments, I somehow think there will be some commonalities in behavior. I live in North East Illinois, and numerous winter track finds have been found in my general area, and I too have a claim to a possible winter track way. The majority of these finds seem to follow a weather event.

Black bears frequently wait till the midst of a heavy snow event to move to their den with the tail of the storm covering those tracks up.  Sasquatch have been noted to move about in heavy snows and I recall a Henderson County NC BFRO report to that effect.  Another nocturnal sighting in summer within ten miles as the crow flies closer to the same French Broad watershed.

Edited by bipedalist

What I'd say is that we see all the NA bears - generally considered by those in the know the ecological parallel - doing the winter nap thing.  I'd also say Patty looks fattened up  for a lie-down.

Sasquatch is a reported omnivore.......yes. But primates don't hibernate.

But as WSA suggested I have no problem with the idea of them holing up and eating food stores. Maybe venturing out short distances to ambush or scavenge something, chew some pine pitch for Vitamin C whatever.......

Or they may haul butt to the coast and leave the Rockies behind leaving the old and sick behind?

I think if we can solve this piece of the puzzle all else will fall into place.

One primate estivates, which is the same thing, different season.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat-tailed_dwarf_lemur

What you mean is:  no primate we know of hibernates.  Of course if sasquatch exists and it does hibernate (or does what bears do, which isn't hibernation in the strict sense), then one has been here all along that does it, and it shouldn't surprise us for the very reason that bears, a very similar animal from an ecological standpoint, do it.

Fact is, *we would expect* sasquatch to do something like this, *because* bears do.

Edited by DWA

BFF Patron

I think they could act more like humans in harsh Northern climates and just hole up during periods of extreme cold and bad weather. That is not hibernation and since many of their other behaviors are similar to humans, it would not be a stretch to imagine that many things they do are similar to humans in similar circumstances. In this area I know there are many unknown lava tubes. They have a temperate temperature and could provide cover and shelter during bad weather. Also there are so many slash piles that they could have dens underneath and humans would never know. The rotting wood would give off heat too.

Guest Crowlogic

Adding hibernating to the list of fantastic special attributes that keep bigfoot secret is akin to children adding rules and elements to a game in order to keep the game going.  Only one primate is known to hibernate and that primate is far enough away from the great apes and us as to be nearly inconsequential. OK bigfoot hibernates that's why it can live where no other great apes and live.

The need to hibernate to survive is one thing, while the wisdom to conserve resources is another.  Bears hibernate because the

vast part of their diet is not available in the winter months, and they do not stockpile reserves to my knowledge.  Sasquatch are 

both smart enough to know when not to be active, and to stockpile reserves, while also being able to take advantage of all the 

available resources plant or animal given any time of year.  This and the fact that they are suited to endure extreme cold due 

to their mass, well this leads me to the conclusion that they might hunker down for periods of time and not actually hibernate in

the strict sense of that term, the feeding on the most fatty parts of animals is done by most winter predators, and demonstrates

their need to conserve energy while replenishing the fat reserves.  Which it makes good sense they would have special fat that

helps sustain them through the long winter months, especially in places like the Yukon or Alaska.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Guest lightheart

Here in N. Florida it only gets below freezing a few times per year but surprisingly during the winter months I think they bed down in areas near open spots like basins that retain the sun's warmth for longer and get the early rays in morning. They seem to take advantage of everything in their environment to thrive.

BFF Patron

The need to hibernate to survive is one thing, while the wisdom to conserve resources is another.  Bears hibernate because the

vast part of their diet is not available in the winter months, and they do not stockpile reserves to my knowledge.  Sasquatch are 

both smart enough to know when not to be active, and to stockpile reserves, while also being able to take advantage of all the 

available resources plant or animal given any time of year.  This and the fact that they are suited to endure extreme cold due 

to their mass, well this leads me to the conclusion that they might hunker down for periods of time and not actually hibernate in

the strict sense of that term, the feeding on the most fatty parts of animals is done by most winter predators, and demonstrates

their need to conserve energy while replenishing the fat reserves.  Which it makes good sense they would have special fat that

helps sustain them through the long winter months, especially in places like the Yukon or Alaska.

I have seen examples where vines and strips of plant materials have apparently been woven by BF into fairly ornate things. More like art work than anything functional. So if they can do that then perhaps they are capable of weaving baskets that could hold plant materials for winter storage. That sort of thing and an occasional deer would get them through the winter. We really need to get inside one of their places if they have dens or other places where they hole up for periods of time. So little is known about that aspect of their life.

Adding hibernating to the list of fantastic special attributes that keep bigfoot secret is akin to children adding rules and elements to a game in order to keep the game going.  Only one primate is known to hibernate and that primate is far enough away from the great apes and us as to be nearly inconsequential. OK bigfoot hibernates that's why it can live where no other great apes and live.

Not so fast.... Are humans an ape? If your answer is yes? Then our species distribution proves apes can live any where.

I agree with you that I do not think they hibernate, and I also think that if they do exist? This question if solved will deliver us the creature. What do they do in winter?

Adding hibernating to the list of fantastic special attributes that keep bigfoot secret is akin to children adding rules and elements to a game in order to keep the game going.  

Nothing fantastic about it.  Mammals both fly, and look and live like fish.  Fantastic?  This is simply putting one's mind in a box.  Hibernation isn't a *fantastic* quality; ask any scientist.  It would be *expected* that a large omnivore in a temperate environment would have a winter survival strategy...wait for it...*because known ones do.*  hibernation has been identified as one in use by many species.  Please ID what is fantastic about this.  This is akin to children saying the moon can't be real because they can't touch it. 

This whole "fantastic special attributes" argument is a tiresome straw man *** red herring, as it presumes that anyone considering the idea valid must swallow whole all the fantastic attributes, which is just plain silly.  It utterly ignores, as if they don't exist, the arguments of serious scientists applying serious science.  It thus marks anyone using it as someone who cannot be taken seriously.

Only one primate is known to hibernate and that primate is far enough away from the great apes and us as to be nearly inconsequential.

Couldn't be wronger thinking from a scientific standpoint.  A primate does; so a primate *can.*

OK bigfoot hibernates that's why it can live where no other great apes and live.

Wait.  He may be getting it.  Polar bears have adaptations that allow them to live where no other bears live.  See how that works?  There's a primate that *flies.*  See how that works?

To say that a mammal order that contains us, tarsiers, pottos and chimpanzees couldn't have something like sasquatch in it is truly fantasitical thinking, particlularly when the evidence shows one to clearly be wrong.  Sasquatch is a *mundane, expected* member of the primate family.  What's truly fantastical is that most scientists don't seem to understand this.

BOTTOM LINE, GANG:  nothing, in the entire history of our species' sojourn on this planet, exists anything like this phenomenon, nothing even anywhere near close...that has not been confirmed by science.  That's virtually tantamount to proof of sasquatch, right there.  Believe it or not:  That's the state of the science, at least among those of us applying the scientific mind to this.

This guy is flat right, and if you disagree with him, you are flat wrong.  http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=26750

Anyone who wants to know how a scientist looks at the world should read that report.  Period.

Edited by DWA