2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

BFF Patron

I figure that a hunting team will deserve what they get and be expecting retribution.    But my concern is what will happen when the very next human comes along that had nothing to do with shooting a specimen.     Could be tragic.   

BFF Patron

^ yes, researchers shall be neighborly, isn't that in the Handbook of Ethics?  Hopefully, all BF punji stick traps will be decommissioned when no longer monitored.  

Sadly enough it will probably be one of these groups that gets the whole community labeled as blood thirsty hunters, well exactly why I am rooting hard

for success of the Falcon Project to preempt the shooting of a creature. I am a realist and know that it will take more than your average amount of evidence to 

get this creature recognized and studied, it will take more to simply be given the proper consideration. The scientific community is programmed to ignore this topic

and it will take something well beyond our current evidence to bring them aboard. Prolonged daytime video in HD coupled with DNA, and track evidence, that should

seal the deal. Though the better thermal capability afforded the Falcon Project might show enough detail to negate the need for daylight video, but anything less than clear identifiable images will not suffice, nor will simply finding tons of prints, nor will a single hair in absence of the other evidence do the trick, it is going to take combined evidence apart from a specimen, and that is going to take an extraordinary effort to obtain, and might be years down the road. Meanwhile the guns

are loaded and waiting, and more groups with this bent are popping up across the country, personally I think a law against taking one of these creatures should be

on the books just to prevent yahoo's from thinking they can attempt it. With all the money potential of having a real specimen, who is to say there on not 100s of lone hunters, or better yet I should say poachers, attempting this very thing.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Nice work LCB with your 1k post! You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders, from what I can tell. Keep the faith.

BFF Patron

^ yes, researchers shall be neighborly, isn't that in the Handbook of Ethics?  Hopefully, all BF punji stick traps will be decommissioned when no longer monitored.  

Maybe even by the BF themselves.  

WSA, thanks for the nice comments, my head is a size too big, I need to buy extra large

caps, a cranial deformation of sorts, allows plenty of empty space between the ears, and

perhaps some brain matter exists in there as well.

Here is another description of Bryan Sykes new book coming out 4/9, kind of gives a better impression of where the DNA analysis has lead them,

the bear thing is no longer linked to the Yeti, and the direction seems to be studying recent interbreeding between Humans and Neanderthals, and

that is what I think will be suggested.

Product description: THE NATURE OF THE BEAST....

Almost, but not quite human, the yeti and its counterparts from wild regions of the world, still exert a powerful atavistic influence on us. Is the yeti just a phantasm of our imagination, or is it a real creature? A survivor from our own savage ancestry? This is the mystery that Bryan Sykes set out to unlock. Three hair samples from the remote Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan are the cause of the investigation. The hair samples were from the miogi, the Bhutanese yeti, that legendary creature of the high snows that has haunted the imagination of travellers for centuries. Professor Sykes was asked to identify the hairs using DNA analysis. The miogi hairs did not surrender their secrets easily, but eventually two were identified as known species of bear. The third remained a mystery. Ten years later two scientific developments caused the migoi to enter Professor Sykes' thoughts again. The first, a purely technical improvement, meant that it was now possible to get a very good DNA signal from a single hair. The second development came from the surprising conclusion of an article published in 2010. This paper contained the details of the DNA sequence from another human species, Homo neanderthalensis, the Neanderthals, widely thought to be extinct. One of the many theories to account for the yeti legend is that there were small groups of Neanderthals that had managed to survive until recent times, or maybe even until the present day. If so, would it be possible to detect recent interbreeding between our own species and Neanderthals in the genomes of indigenous people living in remote regions. Locations where the yeti legends are strongest and the sightings most numerous? Professor Sykes set a goal to locate and analyse as many hair samples as possible, with links the yeti. In doing so Professor Sykes found himself entering a strange world of mystery and sensationalism, fraud and obsession and even the supernatural. Protected by the ruthless vigour of genetic analysis he was able to listen to the stories of the yeti without having to form an opinion. The only opinion that mattered was the DNA. Two years on the project is almost complete, and there have been some surprising and significant discoveries. The yeti remains an enigma. There is something out there. But what?

Related to some extent I heard Rhettman Mullis recently interviewed on Monster X radio, he stated that he was not really sure what was in Sykes book. Also he has been busy editing Lori Simmons new book, who the heck knows when we will see that come out. I am sure that will be interesting, if you remember Lori was the one who lead Adam Davies and Sykes to a spot where supposedly a Sasquatch lived under a large fir tree, underground. Well I doubt Sykes will comment on that unless he got some evidence to support it, meaning DNA, and that does not seem to be the case. It is pretty important that he maintains his professional objective scientific image, if he goes on the record saying he "believes" these creatures exist without any DNA he knows he will undoubtedly be labeled. Well this year still has some pretty interesting developments to be revealed.

This Statement by Rhettman Mullis is taken directly off of his research sight Bigfootology, it further alludes to the fact

that something is going on behind the scenes, though not necessarily suggesting anything specific.

The comments about Bryan Sykes are interesting and demonstrate the nature of his inquiry in the subject more clearly

than those TV spots....

Bryan does believe, as do I and everyone else at Bigfootology, that there is something out there and we continue our work to discover â€œWHAT†they are, not “IF†they exist. When Bryan began this project with us he had a healthy skepticism for the Bigfoot phenomenon. Bigfootology team member, Thomas Finley, presented Bryan with an honorary team member certificate in the UK and when Bryan began traveling with me and spending hours upon hours with other Bigfooters and going out into the field with us he began to realize that there is something genuine to the reality that there is something unknown out there, more than just a bear. Very quickly into this DNA project Bryan became an official member of Bigfootology and has been one of our lead scientists since and his goal is the same as ours which is to find the answer to the Bigfoot phenomenon, “What are they?†Bryan’s rally cry to all of us is, “Get the real evidence.â€

This is why Bryan is still willing to test more hairs even after the acquisition period of this study is finished, and is even willing to refund a person the expense of testing if indeed their hair tests to be a “Bigfoot†hair – what we have termed the “golden hairâ€.  The time for free testing is passed because the acquisition period for the study is finished. Bryan’s reasoning is that with the expense of testing now falling on the sample submitter is that it eliminates the hoaxers, the unsure, and will make sure that a person submitting a sample is absolutely positive that the sample is from a Bigfoot as the cost of testing is high as well as the time commitment to do so.

There is a paper that is in peer-review and more outcomes from testing will be released then, and Bryan is also diligently working on his book about all of this and his adventures with the Bigfoot community. Bigfootology’s work continues as there is still much to do and we have several projects at various stages of fruition. Two of which are finished or in the process of being finished (e.g., Zana and the general DNA project). Another project that we have been working on is exploring the claim from indigenous tribes all over the world of Bigfoot/Human pairing in their history. To this date we have located and tested three individuals and we are still searching for two others that we are aware of. Exciting things are still happening and many other projects, again, are still planned or in some stage of planning to make happen.

If Bryan was not curious and has a degree of belief in this phenomenon then surely he would not have spent his time and money as he has, and continues to do, to continue to investigate these claims. The answer is there and the right moment, people, and circumstances being in place will bring us to that answer.

Rhettman A. Mullis, Jr., MS, PhD-ABD, CAF, MHP
Bigfootology

I figure that a hunting team will deserve what they get and be expecting retribution. But my concern is what will happen when the very next human comes along that had nothing to do with shooting a specimen. Could be tragic.

No different than hunting a Grizzly bear. Except that Sasquatch has a nasty reputation of being a man eater..........per Indian legend. And Paulides books seem to show that people go missing and are never found.

But regardless it is a hunters ethical duty to track and dispatch wounded animals.

BFF Patron

Well different than grizzly, BF seems to have a history of ganging up on those that shoot their own. Ape Canyon Cabin being the most famous example. So tracking and dispatching a wounded BF might just lead a hunter right into a group of angry relatives. That makes hunting BF an entirely different thing than normal game animals.

If the Smith family is having a picnic? And a wounded Griz shows up versus a wounded Squatch? No difference.

And I don't subscribe to the Bigfoot Army argument. If half the attributes given to these things were true? They would be running the show, not us. (Large groups making coordinated attacks) But a lone human? They may make a snack out of us. We do it to other primates......

The Hunt for DNA

UZH primatologist Thomas Geissmann criticized the actions of the NAWAC. "I am sure that it is not necessary to kill a specimen. I have described several new species of monkeys and never had to kill an animal for it. "

In 2005 Geissmann and colleague Urs Thalmann described a new lemur species. Hair as well as photo and video material and audio recordings were enough. “It takes just a few hairs of a Bigfoot to unambiguously tell if it exists and what it is.â€

Well, that is pretty naive of them.  

We have heard, many many many times too many, that the mainstream will apply A Higher Standard to sasquatch evidence, even though that is completely contrary to proper scientific practice.  Were the types of evidence put forth by Geissman and Thalmann accepted with the same degree of criticism from a sasquatch researcher, great, we're done here.  But they should know that this will not be the case.  

(They should also know that "a few hairs" may not be clearly diagnostic, for any of a number of reasons; and that with no type specimen, one cannot conclude based on nothing but hair, and one certainly will not here.  But we'll leave it.)

The types of primates against which the above new species were compared were known and accepted by scientists.   These guys were taken at their word that the things they were presenting were legit.  (Couldn't have faked those recordings, eh?  Couldn't have doctored up the photos?  We have a sasquatch on film.  And where are we, huh.)  

So, they're being naive.  Or, given that they're scientists...merely *sounding* naive.  

Edited by DWA

BFF Patron

And I don't subscribe to the Bigfoot Army argument. If half the attributes given to these things were true? They would be running the show, not us. (Large groups making coordinated attacks) But a lone human? They may make a snack out of us. We do it to other primates......

Sounds like you do not believe the Ape Canyon Cabin incident happened. That had multiple human witnesses and is one of the more credible multiple BF sighting reports. A group of BF attacked the cabin after one miner shot a BF.

I own Paterson's book in which Beck's story is published. I also think it is THE pinnacle story on which the Bigfoot Army philosophy hinges itself on. How credible is it? It could have happened. But much more prevalent is the story in which a hunter or hunters shoot one and it gimps off never to be seen from again.

If they run in troupes of ten to twenty (cabin attack strength)? We would have found them by now!

Maybe Beck and his mining partners had a claim in the middle of a Squatch family reunion? Or maybe they embellished the story abit?

Either way in a wounded scenario I don't think your going to have a better day if you stumble upon a wounded Griz. That's the point I'm trying to make.

It's the hunters ethical duty to track and dispatch wounded game.......even dangerous ones. If your scared don't take the shot!

^

I can't recall offhand how many sasquatch Beck and co sighted at once. It would seem they never saw them during the cabin attack as they were all shut inside. The Beck cabin attack may have involved just a handful of sasquatch. 4 or 5 at the most????