2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

Right.  Fail fast...but fail forward.  Meldrum's science is airtight.  He takes out of bounds runs sometimes, and pays for it.  Krantz did too.  But the science is unassailable; why it's never been assailed.

It's what I am always telling scoftics about this:  even when I'm wrong, I'm right.  Even when you're right...you're wrong.  It's not the blip du jour; it is how one approaches the topic.  Those of us who have applied intellect and time to this understand and are never shaken by anything that happens.  People that everyone else is paying attention to, we know we can safely ignore.  Knowing is powerful.  And any true scientist knows this:  proof is NOT how one knows. Not in science, it's not.

It is funny to watch Les Stroud wading the quagmire of Bigfootery, I wonder if he had enough of the whole thing for a while. Probably not losing interest in the notion of the creature, just the shenanigans associated with them. If you spend as much time out in the brush as he does it has to be in the forefront of his mind. I am sure they are editing his conversations of the subject out of his current shows. Meldrum, he had laid pretty low after the sighting he had with Standing, albeit a thermal sighting. Standing made a lot of critical mistakes, and hoaxing the pictures/video was a desperate attempt to be recognized. In the end these creatures seem to know what manner of fool is chasing them.

Meldrum did lay low for awhile but he was right back in the "weird" with that latest bigfoot television show and, yet again, he was playing defense afterwards. For a smart guy he seems to make the same mistake....repeatedly.

Edited by Bodhi

BFF Patron

And for you Meldrum's biggest mistake would be believing in BF existence?  

But that's it.  He doesn't "believe in" it.  The evidence has convinced him; and the people going on and on about his missteps have nothing, really, to counter that with.

BFF Patron

I stand corrected, believe is not the right word. The last time I heard Meldrum give a presentation he stated that he now considers himself a witness. Of course that was when Standing was around so I would not bet my house on it.

The science of this creature hinges on no one man, though we all seem to look at Meldrum in that way. He is just one voice crying in the wilderness. What makes academics so reluctant to step out on a limb is that being labeled as part of this community is tantamount to academic suicide. They may certainly be persuaded that it is worth the inquiry, but to enter the fray will cost them position and money. Meldrum himself suffered a great deal of scorn within his field for his stand, Bindernagel, Krantz, they all suffered ridicule and being overlooked and passed by. It is a sad testament to the University system that someone with as much enthusiasm for discovery should be snuffed out, or that ideas with such great implications, if true, should not be more front and center in research. Too much of the thinking power of this country is bought out, or sold out, to corporations and self seeking agendas. Where are the true scientists? This deserves to be studied and funded in a grand fashion, yet the Falcon Project, fit or unfit, could hardly garner support from within the community, much less outside the community. Little science can be accomplished by field researchers of our ability, no matter how good we think we are. We need professionals to undertake the task, people whose whole lives are devoted to obtaining needed knowledge and skills to do such research, whose foundations are already laid and who simply need to take the risk. We need a University to step un and actually fund some research of this variety, long term, boots on the ground, using state of the art techniques and equipment.

Don't hold your breath...

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot
  • Upvote 1

I stand corrected, believe is not the right word. The last time I heard Meldrum give a presentation he stated that he now considers himself a witness. Of course that was when Standing was around so I would not bet my house on it.

...and his considering himself a witness could be itself a misstep.  That anyone would consider that a reason to trash everything Meldrum has said about the topic represents a critical thinking fail of major proportions.

Where are the true scientists?

And "true scientists" - and the definition, BTW, has never been different - are those who will challenge the canon of their field when the evidence says to do so.  This is how Nobels get won.  The proponents have challenged canon, and done so with evidence.  No one dismissing their findings so far qualifies as a true scientist.  An advanced degree or two are coolio.  But they are only the starting point for a true scientist.  Scientists do research.  They don't squat on canon and yell no.

This deserves to be studied and funded in a grand fashion, yet the Falcon Project, fit or unfit, could hardly garner support from within the community, much less outside the community. Little science can be accomplished by field researchers of our ability, no matter how good we think we are. We need professionals to undertake the task, people whose whole lives are devoted to obtaining needed knowledge and skills to do such research, whose foundations are already laid and who simply need to take the risk. We need a University to step un and actually fund some research of this variety, long term, boots on the ground, using state of the art techniques and equipment.

No great scientific issue has ever been advanced by part-timers.  And there are no full-timers on the planet when it comes to this.

Don't hold your breath...

Yet many are...and surface only to yell NO - or be bitterly disappointed - at the latest Final Proof.  This is not how science is done.

BFF Patron

I cannot disagree more with Lake County on this. I can think of several technology and science discoveries that are among the greatest in mankind that were not discovered or developed by university scholars. Tesla dropped out of technical college. The personal computer was developed in a garage in California by college dropouts. A patent clerk in Switzerland that was not allowed to attend universities to pursue advanced degrees blew Newtonian Physics out of 100s of years of prominence with The Theory of Relativity. Edison had little formal education. The list of such people goes on and on. BF is a technical problem that has to be solved by someone able to think outside the box (Universities are Large Boxes) to prove existence.

• Upvote 1

Well, look how long it took for anyone to give Tesla credit.

The field is clearly suffering from the lack of full-time interest or attention.  It should not be the case that science only advances when fools not paying attention get proof adequate to them.  Science has lost a half-century of traction on this issue, solely because people whose job is unraveling stuff like this are shouting it down and threatening people who take it seriously.

Really science has lost more like a century and a half of traction, as the New York Times was calling for the resolution of the issue back in 1871.

BFF Patron

This does not even include Meldrums books.  

http://www.isu.edu/rhi/research-papers.   

http://www.isu.edu/rhi/essays.shtml

Tesla butted heads with the government during World War II.     Much of his work was confiscated and classified.   What people do not know Is very time they flip on a light switch they are using Teslas technology, not Edisons.     Edison tried to push DC power on the public.   One of the most horrific public displays I know was when Edison electrocuted an elephant to prove how dangerous Tesla's alternating current was.    The worst thing about it was that Edison was dead wrong about the relative dangers and clueless about the efficiency of AC compared to DC. 

BFF Patron

What?    Edison was involved in the planning for the demonstration and head of the company that wanted it done.  His film company filmed it.   Hitler was not there when the Jews were executed either.     Amazing how that kind of thing works.  Amazing how you will try to discredit anyone that is a BF proponent even on a subject not related to BF.   I suppose you want to argue that DC power is safer than AC too?    Of course you do!   Your methods are so transparent.      

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

My methods? Oh, you mean not taking everything anyone says at face value and doing a quick fact check first?   Yeah, that sure is evil. There are some things that I used to think were true, but turned out to be urban myths or not exactly accurate as told. No big deal. It's human behaviour. No need to get all wound up about it.

So...any bigfoot papers published by Meldrum outside of RHI?

Edited by dmaker

BFF Patron

What difference does the presence of Edison have to do with anything?     He did it because he was furious at his business competition.    That motive hardly makes him a saint.   

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/topsy-elephant-slain-thomas-edison-article-1.1385182