Bigfoot, Should I Tell My Relatives?

Lake County Bigfooot

At work, the responses from people who know me are mixed.   More people than not get quiet and their antennas go up.   I'm a bit eccentric perhaps but I'm not wrong very often so if I say something, it's to be considered carefully no matter how silly it sounds.   The people who do laugh are mostly doing so because they're afraid if they don't laugh at me someone else will laugh at them.   Most everyone sees that, too.  

I'm pretty comfortable talking about BF.   I don't force it on anyone who doesn't want to hear it but I don't have to hide.

MIB

After my first visual sighting, I wanted to tell everyone about my experience, but soon learned that being treated like a liar and charlatan by a few-not many-folks was not my idea of fun!  I learned that relating too much information, too soon can be downright miserable with the few that can't handle it!

Most people don't believe they exist and nothing you say or do will convince them otherwise.  My suggestion is spoon feeding those that show an interest.  Don't waist your time with the others...

I personally sincerely believe in all of the above, since I've either seen or experienced everything you listed:) 

I would say the majority of the world's population believe in one of the above so those who don't are the minority. The point I'm making is that bigfoot really isn't that big a deal or that crazy compared to what the majority of the rest of the human population believes in.

Edited by Neanderfoot

I've read some very interesting views and encounters on various forestry/logging/outdoor forums over the years.

U.S. forums or Canadian Mark?  Big difference!

t.

U.S. forums or Canadian Mark?  Big difference!

t.

I think these forums attract members from all over North America. They are not regional or national as far as I'm aware. Indeed the Survivalist board hosts members from around the world.

Out of interest Terry what would be the difference between a US based forum and a Canadian one?

• 2 weeks later...

There have been numerous BF related TV shows such Monster Quest, In Search of, and everyone's favorite, Finding Bigfoot.

Now add in the various radio talk programs and you get the perfect vehicle to de-sensitize the public. Regarding the OP's

question of should I tell family members, or anyone else for that matter is a tough one. My general one size fits all answer

that is the least problematic, is to say No, you shouldn't bring it up. If you do bring it up, be prepared for anything and focus

on what it is that makes you believer. BF is not real high on my list of important things which to concern myself with, but the

following approach is a how I test the water before diving in kind of thing. It seems to work pretty good so far and it goes like

this - Hey Joe, did you see that Monster Quest show last week about Bigfoot? Yes, well what did you think? If Joe laughs right

here and begins to go on about there is no way they exist and people that believe in it are nuts! Then drop it right there.

If you get a positive reaction from Joe, then continue on until you get to a point where you feel comfortable about opening up

about your personal view on the subject. This approach keeps you in control of the situation and allows you to bail out wthout

any significant repercussion!

Well, nothing's as crazy as the human habit of "believing in."  I don't believe in anything.  Show me your evidence.

Really? That's a pretty bold statement you made there, and who made that determination! Humanity would not be where it is today without

the various peoples out there fulfilling the dreams they believed in! You don't believe in anything? Why doesn't that surprise me. Show you

the evidence? Funny, it seems that you believe we need to show you evidence doesn't it. Try not to speak with a forked tongue, it tends to

make one look silly!

Edited by Wingman1

Sorry, but those people fulfilling dreams sound to me as if they have evidence that those dreams are fulfillable.

I'm not gonna go around accepting as real things I have no evidence are real.  I am fine with the evidence coming around in its own good time...and unlike practically everybody who believes in lots of stuff, *I don't deny any possibility*.  That's really the best place to be, intellectually.  See Blue Quote below.  That's me, all the way...and it's the only way to be.

I guess I'm fortunate that my family has always had a quirky interest in Fortean phenomena and like many people here, I grew up avidly reading anything to do with the odd and paranormal. My family had books by Charles Fort, those Time/Life or Reader's Digest "mysteries of the unknown" books, and so on. I remember my dad saying many times he would love to see a UFO! There is definitely some open-mindedness. My family also tends to skew towards the educated side of the spectrum; we have three professors in the ranks including an anthropologist, although I've never asked her what she thought about the Bigfoot phenomenon. I also grew up in northern Ontario (hence my username) where there is a small but well-documented tradition of sightings. My niece actually works for the forest fire services in Alberta, so she's probably the best-placed of any of us to see something! I hope that if she did, she'd share it with me. (I'm definitely the eccentric aunt so I don't think anyone is afraid to tell me things ;) ).

Sorry, but those people fulfilling dreams sound to me as if they have evidence that those dreams are fulfillable.

I'm not gonna go around accepting as real things I have no evidence are real.  I am fine with the evidence coming around in its own good time...and unlike practically everybody who believes in lots of stuff, *I don't deny any possibility*.  That's really the best place to be, intellectually.  See Blue Quote below.  That's me, all the way...and it's the only way to be.

Websters Dictionary defines the word Intellectual, as a someone possessing a highly developed intellect. I am humble enough to say that

I have not reached that level, and since you mentioned it, I have to assume that is the platform you speak from,  so please bear with me here.

Unlike practically everybody who believes in lots of stuff, *I don't deny any possibility*.

If a person that believes in lots of stuff doesn't think it is possible to achieve their dreams, then what's the point of having a dream.

I'm not gonna go around accepting as real things I have no evidence are real.  I am fine with the evidence coming around

in its own good time.

Good for you! it is certainly your prerogative to follow that path. You even have patience now as well, Bravo!

That's really the best place to be, intellectually.  See Blue Quote below. 

That is nothing more and nothing less than your own opinion! Well not exactly your own opinion, since it appears you are using the

opinion stated by someone in the blue quote. 

That's me, all the way...and it's the only way to be.

If that's how you want to be, Great! I Hope that works for ya, but as for it being the only way to be, well again that is just your own

personal opinion/belief. I enjoy reading your posts, but must admit that nowadays it is only for the entertainment factor than for

any other reason. I do applaud your affinity for science, although sometimes you confuse the hell out me! At times you seem to be

some sort champion for science, and at other times you ridicule it and those that practice it, so I never really know what direction on

the compass you are coming from. I've said in previous posts that for me, science is no. 99 on my list of the 100 most important things

in this life for me. I am healthy, happily married for 28 yrs, and own a successful business, and that is because I followed my dreams

to fruition. Was I certain that it would turn out great? absolutely not, but I did dream that it would someday be possible! Science contributed

nothing to that. I am not anti-science, as I love astronomy because out there in space is where the real discoveries await. I have always

been open to and willing to explore all possibilities, but I also know that I or anyone else for that matter will never understand everything.

But that is just MY opinion. I'm finished here - Moving on to another thread now.

Edited by Wingman1

You're not paying attention.  Pay more attention.  I'm more consistent at least than any bigfoot skeptic I have read or heard of.

It is totally consistent to be skeptical of everything; to demand evidence before accepting anything; to only accept what one accepts pending better evidence...and to see, clearly, that the evidence says sasquatch is real.  Nothing more consistent than that have I seen on this board.

Nothing is inclined to make me spit my coke on my keyboard faster thant somebody who is a product of  21st century civilization allowing how their lives owe nothing to science.  That's almost correct, but with an error margin of about 100%, I reckon.  If this is what the average twenty-something believes, we are all in a world of hurt. I just hope that was just a momentary lapse Wingman. I mean, really and truly?

You're not paying attention.  Pay more attention.  I'm more consistent at least than any bigfoot skeptic I have read or heard of.

It is totally consistent to be skeptical of everything; to demand evidence before accepting anything; to only accept what one accepts pending better evidence...and to see, clearly, that the evidence says sasquatch is real.  Nothing more consistent than that have I seen on this board.

First off, I do not dispute the fact that the evidence supports the existence of Sasquatch. You know I have always respected your opinions

even though I disagree with some them, but it appears that you have no desire to reciprocate that trust. That's fine though, and won't be

losing any sleep over it. Since day one when I joined this forum, I have read most of your posts and I agree with most of them. I still do, for

that matter but I see that I will have to reappraise that position now. You made a comment about people with dreams and I simply replied to

it, and you disagree with my view, but again that is fine with me and I respect your views on this.

Not paying attention? I am assuming that you mean I need to pay attention to you because you are way ahead of the rest us when it comes to

science. Well, you go ahead and hang on to that one pal, because there is absolutely no way that I will follow you around to read your posts.

I think someone needs to come down from that proverbial high horse now. This is where I get off the train because I have no use for someone

that does not respect a person's opinions, and then expect all of us to respect theirs because they deem themselves to have a higher intellect.

Here is the funny part, I still respect your opinions regardless.

Nothing is inclined to make me spit my coke on my keyboard faster thant somebody who is a product of  21st century civilization allowing how their lives owe nothing to science.  That's almost correct, but with an error margin of about 100%, I reckon.  If this is what the average twenty-something believes, we are all in a world of hurt. I just hope that was just a momentary lapse Wingman. I mean, really and truly?

And here I was beginning to think that you wouldn't be coming to DWA's rescue. You should try keeping a towel next to your keyboard from

now on. So my opinion yanks your chain huh! Well what can I say. I get the point you are trying to make here, albeit a pedantic one. I was a

Captain in the USAF and flew an A-10 in Desert Storm and Operation Southern Watch so I have a pretty good handle on science and physics!

Oh! and just to clarify, I am 52 not twenty-something. You are right that science has provided all of us a way to manage our lives better in some

form or another. The tools of science allows one to pursue knowledge, and try to further understand ones surroundings. The scientific tools and

processes are out there for everyone to take advantage of. The simple fact is that not everyone sees it as important as you do, and that seems

to rub you the wrong way. If you think that makes you better than me, then you are sadly mistaken. I am fully cognizant of the importance of the

sciences, I just don't live and breathe it like some here do. Science is not responsible for my wife and I falling in love, it is not responsible for the

success and longevity of our marriage, and it is not responsible for the dreams that we share. This is what I mean when I said science is not

responsible for my accomplishments in life if that is too hard for you to comprehend, then I don't know what to tell you. I do not hold the power

judge anyone, especially those that I know nothing about and I respect everyone's opinion and beliefs and never try to force mine on someone

else either. If you could go to some of the places I have been and experienced some of the things I have seen, you will quickly realize that there

is plenty of "A World of Hurt" to go around. I normally don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone WSA, in fact this is the first and last

time I will, but I actually like your posts and what you bring to the table here, so I deviated from my normal flightpath a bit to try and clarify it for

you. Hope it worked!

My apologies to the OP for temporarily derailing your thread and this is my final post here.

Edited by Wingman1