An Explanation For The Bf Smell

Drew

Flashman, your post #11:

That rock throwing condition has been diagnosed as 'ballistico-rocktosis'. I saw a PBS special on it awhile back. They are years away from a vaccine. In the meantime, over-the-counter measures work well in the way of Ever Clear/moonshine. By consuming those cures, no pathogen on the planet will recognize your body as a host. Opens up the veins and arteries so no migraines.

• Upvote 2

Wow. There is a thread floating around titled"worst evidence you have ever seen", there should be a thread titled " worst explanation you've ever heard". This could be at the top.

Guest mariner

I took care of it with detergent .... ..... ..... **** that schitt smarts when you snort it.

Duh - you are supposed to feed it to your cat !

If there actually were the huge percentage of people suffering from visual and olfactory hallucinations that certain of our fellow BFFers suggest as an alternative explanation for their reports of seeing and/or smelling Sasquatch, it would concern me a great deal more than the existence of the Big Guy. As just one example, imagine how much worse traffic would be in any major city if drivers were randomly mistaking pedestrians for large, hairy bipeds and panicking!

I would think that this disorder might explain a particular individual having recurrent episodes of smelling something foul in the woods rather than this disorder explaining numerous individuals describing a similar odor.  And in this case, the individual would have this condition in or out of the woods and would be aware of their sense of smell being faulty and wouldn't likely mention it as part of a sighting incident. 

If there actually were the huge percentage of people suffering from visual and olfactory hallucinations that certain of our fellow BFFers suggest as an alternative explanation for their reports of seeing and/or smelling Sasquatch, it would concern me a great deal more than the existence of the Big Guy. As just one example, imagine how much worse traffic would be in any major city if drivers were randomly mistaking pedestrians for large, hairy bipeds and panicking!

There is a large number of people experiencing some form of hallucination.

I did a poll here at the old BFF I believe, that asked who has experienced some form of hallucination while driving, and the affirmative results were between 30-40%.

I think this is higher than the general population, leading to the question "Does Bigfootry attract people prone to hallucinations?"

We discussed Black Dog hallucinations, and the forums where truck drivers relate their experience with driving while tired and the hallucinations.

It is far more common than you would like to think.

I would think that this disorder might explain a particular individual having recurrent episodes of smelling something foul in the woods rather than this disorder explaining numerous individuals describing a similar odor.  And in this case, the individual would have this condition in or out of the woods and would be aware of their sense of smell being faulty and wouldn't likely mention it as part of a sighting incident. 

By your faux-logic I should be hallucinating bigfoot in my living room, not in the woods where I belong.    I grew up out there.  Not merely rural, but *raised backwoods*.   (Don't mistake that for uneducated, that'd your second mistake, and underestimating my IQ would be a third.)   Hasn't happened.   It's a safe enough bet that it isn't going to.  

Further, I didn't detect any odor during sightings.   I detected it independent of sightings.   Sometimes associated with other things, but not sightings.

Funny thing about smells ... unless two "observers" are in the same cloud of scent, all we have as a basis for comparison are words.   We don't know if we're using the same words to describe different things or not.   The assumption that they are the same is pretty weak.

IMHO of course.  :) What you've said is pure foolishness. 

Drew's hypothesis is not an explanation, it's a rationalization to justify sweeping inconvenient witness testimony under the carpet.  No more, no less, and it should be identified clearly as such.

MIB

Edited by salubrious
  • Upvote 1

Well it's nice to see that decades of skeptical footer thought have finally got us away from the patronising "Crazy people who imagine things" dismissal to the far more impressive sounding "Dysfunctioning people who hallucinate" well done.

Thats brilliant, Flash! B y transforming the crazy imagery into a psycho-medical condition that is diagnosible , Pfizer finally found a way to profit off the bigfoot phenomena while maintaining the stigma of insanity! Sheer genius!

Soon, we'll see ads "Do your suffer occaisional overwhelming clouds of stinkiness? Do you sense the presence of large hairy creatures, without visual confirmation? Or have anxiety when driving down desolate country roads? If so, ask your doctor if Sasquatol might work for your symptoms, and for you!"

Edited by guyzonthropus
  • Upvote 2