An Explanation For The Bf Smell

Drew

You are walking in the woods, looking for BF, you know BF emits a foul odor, a twinge in your head, and you smell a horrific odor, BIGFOOT IS HERE!! No, you probably experienced Phantosmia related to a migraine onset or a sinus infection.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/temporal-lobe-seizure/expert-answers/phantosmia/faq-20058131

Edited by Drew

Well, because we know skunks exist, a Dead Skunk would be the proper explanation for the odor.

Your skunk encounter would actually be a poor comparison scenario when talking about a rare, known, human condition such as Phantosmia

Edited by Drew

It would appear that the condition is not as rare as one would think if it happens regularly.

What if the smell was apparent, and no migraine or sinus infection ensued?

I can't speculate on details, however, this is offered as a real-world explanation for something which we have been unable to find the actual source of.

I can say there are different levels of Migraines, some which don't result in a headache, 

I can say that Sinus infections can take different levels of severity, some people might have a sinus infection and never even know they have it.  The factor here is probably pressure being exerted on the frontal lobe by inflamed sinuses.

37 million people get sinus infections each year in America, of those, how many suffer from a Phantosmia while out in the woods, and then corelate it to BF? I don't know.  How many BF Smell Encounters/year occur in the U.S.?

If people have a migraine and don't know it... how do we know that people have migraines that they don't know about?

(I don't expect an answer...just thinking)

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

You are walking in the woods, looking for BF, you know BF emits a foul odor, a twinge in your head, and you smell a horrific odor, BIGFOOT IS HERE!! No, you probably experienced Phantosmia related to a migraine onset or a sinus infection.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/temporal-lobe-seizure/expert-answers/phantosmia/faq-20058131

Of the 2,153 report a that we've so far classified in the SSR, only 1 has been reported by people " walking in the woods, looking for bigfoot" added to all of a sudden that same person "smell a horrific odor, BIGFOOT IS HERE!!".

Nice try though..

I would do the maths but couldn't work out what all the 0's when I was looking for a % actually meant..;)

• Upvote 1

It seems quite a coincidence that so many folks have had the good (or bad) luck to suffer a migraine or sinus infection and at the same time hallucinate seeing a large, hairy, bipedal creature.

Now you just need to find a medical condition that attracts rocks on ballistic trajectories and you've got it licked and we can all go home.

Really? More of a coincidence that actually seeing a giant hairy, unclassified creature in North America?

I wouldn't term that a coincidence.

My larger point is that your scenario doesn't account for the coinciding incidents where witnesses claim to have seen a creature accompanied by a foul or peculiar odor.

• Upvote 1

Visual and other sensory hallucinations can be present due to the same causes.

I have presented a real, known phenomenon, as an explanation for claims of emanations from a creature that isn't known to exist.

You can rationalize your beliefs any way you want to, but this is something to consider.

SSR Team

You forgot to acknowledge that the scenario that you presented your real known phenomenon with is less likely to happen than someone being struck by lightning, twice.

There is a (currently) a 0.00046% likelihood/chance/probability of your scenario happening or in plain English, your scenario that you presented simply doesn't happen, like only 1 in 2,136 doesn't happen.

• Upvote 1