Roots Of Denial

I'd like to use this thread, if it is agreeable to everybody, to discuss the real roots of Bigfoot denial. Now, I'm sure we're all in broad agreement that stigma caused by perhaps tabloid journalism (even the name "Bigfoot" is a silly one, not to be taken seriously) is an obvious factor. Hoaxers, too, are a damaging influence to the validity of the field.

However, I'd like to go deeper. I'd like to suggest to you that the problem lies at the very core of national consciousness; that the existence of Bigfoot is anathema to the very American ideal that founded the United States.

It occurs to me that mastery over nature is a hugely significant concept in American history; the country was built by pushing back the frontier, turning wilderness into produce; into power. Could it be, then, that a creature such as Bigfoot would, on some level, undermine the basic principles by which each American is raised, the principles that ultimately caused them to be born? A metaphor for the untamed, the wild. I'd suggest that such a fundamental incompatibility in the psyche is even more debilitating for non-believers than the stigma that prevents science getting involved.

Another example of a more deep-set denial might be some kind of carried-over prejudice towards Native Americans. Since Bigfoot was and is a part of their culture, could that be a principle reason for white American rejection of it? I'm not saying non- believers are racist, but merely that the echoes of such divides still sound in terms of Bigfoot belief.

So-- do you agree? Can you think of other more deep-set, little-discussed reasons for denial? I just believe that understanding why humanity (en masse) ignores this phenomenon is key to finding a solution. All thoughts appreciated!

SSR Team

I agree to a degree, and definitely think what you wrote has something to it.

The biggest thing for me is arrogance though, a very human trait and one that so many have in abundance.

We as a species, especially in the civilised world, are extremely arrogant in general and we think we know it all, we think that anything we don't know is a nonsense etc.

You'll see it virtually daily on this forum too if you look hard enough.

Every day we, myself included, would dismiss a whole host of things simply because we don't know enough about them.

The same happens with this subject.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the actual name "Bigfoot" and I actually made a point a few years back to try to always refer to these things as Sasquatch and Sasquatch only..;)

• Upvote 3

I always thought that the possibility that Sasquatch is an evolutionary link is something that frightens folks, especially the creationists. I think that may be part of the reason that folks are in denial...

I agree with your thoughts, Badger Parade and BobbyO, and add that part of the arrogance mentioned above is rooted in the belief that "we" are the top of the food chain, the ultimate development of the primate lineage. The thought that another "nearly human" member of our family could exist in the wilderness, surviving very nicely without our help, and in spite of our intrusion into that wilderness, is obviously more than some can bear to accept. Personally, as a "knower", I'm in awe of their ability to continue their lives on the fringes of our awareness with such success.

Great thoughts so far. Human arrogance, religion and an anxiety regarding our superiority are excellent points. BC Witness, I agree with you on the difficulties of something "nearly human"-- sometimes I wonder if we could never take video footage seriously (collectively) because it's so hard to process the idea of something walking like us...

Sigmund Freud first mentioned fear of the Uncanny. My face is the most boring thing in the world to me; I see it every day. BUT, if I saw it pressed against my window tonight, it would terrify me! What we fear most- according to Freud- is the familiar in an unfamiliar context. 

I think Bigfoots could be regarded as Uncanny; they are alike, yet not alike. It scares us (as Freud suggests), and it challenges our delusion of superiority (as BC Witness suggests) egged on by certain religion factions (as OKBFFan points out). All underpinned by BobbyO's sensible point about arrogance. 

This is some great stuff! :)

OKBFFan commented on the creationist factor which may be the largest factor.

Mainstream science does not get involved because there isn't any money for them. They have been burned in the past.  Check NAS and Peter Byrne. Money for nothing.

Badger Parade, I looked over your post and decided that I could substitute 'American' and 'United States' with 'English' and 'UK'. Tabloid journalism is a UK term. What is the root cause of denial for Banshees, Leprechauns, Cluricauns and Sheoques?

I thought Denial was De big river in Egypt. The roots would be in Ethiopia?

The denial issue is based on modern life, 200 years ago the world was ''wide open'', and newspapers regularly reported it.

As for ''modern denial'', well, there is no proof of one, and 99% of people don't care about the subject matter. Its really not an issue for most people. .

Denial also happens with people who see them, and Male Sasquatch Addiction Pattern is also a problem, that is, ruining your life chasing after them, or just being totally obsessed when you see one. They need a 12 step program for witnesses.

On the other hand, a huge % of people in Washingon state believe or know someone who has seen one,so environment plays a huge role also.

But again, this seems to come from the perspective that Sas needs to be exposed to the General Human Population, which is an arrogant and ignorant perspective in the first place.  Sort of a Great White Hunter Syndrome goes through the BF community also, which is tired and old.

OKBFFan commented on the creationist factor which may be the largest factor.

Mainstream science does not get involved because there isn't any money for them. They have been burned in the past.  Check NAS and Peter Byrne. Money for nothing.

Badger Parade, I looked over your post and decided that I could substitute 'American' and 'United States' with 'English' and 'UK'. Tabloid journalism is a UK term. What is the root cause of denial for Banshees, Leprechauns, Cluricauns and Sheoques?

I thought Denial was De big river in Egypt. The roots would be in Ethiopia?

Ah well my directing it at America was purely because I think there's a much firmer American national consciousness, if that makes sense. The idea of pushing back the frontier and following the wagon trails and so forth aren't really concepts that translate to the jumbled mess of my country's past, but for the USA they seem wholly relevant- in terms of symbolism- to Bigfoot. Besides which, we are talking about a North American creature on this forum, after all! :)

As for the science and money thing, there's no doubt that this is of course a huge factor, but I'm hoping to look beyond that-- I'd argue that if these root causes weren't in the way, money would be available. I just want to plumb the depths at this stage!

And finally, by an odd coincidence, the very tabloid journalism that you correctly identified as a British term would probably be quite happy to use that little pun of yours ;)

Guest Crowlogic

There isn't an issue of denial there is an issue of lack of proof.  When a person refuses to accept the possible existence of bigfoot it is mostly because the proof positive has never been found.  Look if I'm a farmer in Mississippi or a cab driver in New York the idea of bigfoot is not something I'm going to explode over if it's proven real.  Most Americans are too preoccupied with trying to survive financially these days to give a hoot about a manifest destiny of Americans over nature.  The roots of bigfoot denial if they are anywhere outside of the no proper proof they are in the anti evolution anti science camp.  

Each and every argument I've ever heard about bigfoot denial has been squarely in either the no proper scientific proof camp or in the anti evolution anti science camp.  The theory posed in the OP is elegant but perhaps 150 years too late.

I find it amusing and amazing, how there's a kind of hardwired aversion to the idea, like there's a little golf ball of primal fear in every brain, that we've carefully spent all our lives diverting neurons around... so while trying to think about it, it's like trying to trap a marble on a plate with a greased finger. It's inconceivable, unknowable, unthinkable... because people really can't think about it.

Some of those self professed skeptics, you can see them worrying that marble around with a greasy finger, but it keeps skittering away from them. Two ways to access it, by slowly and surely allowing yourself to think the unthinkable, connecting a few neurons to it slowly, embracing the uncertainty, the unknown, the uncanny, and deal with it. The other way is having a high current neuron fired straight into it by seeing one of the **** things and nearly getting killed from the shock of realization as the high energy "download" tries to fry your brain out.... that's gotta take some work to sort out after.

I've got to say, Crowlogic, that's a very compelling argument. My vague position was that the denial leads to lack of proof, rather than the other way round (because nobody's looking for any). But what you say is perfectly legitimate, and I suppose by this stage it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg scenario anyway...! But we can live in hope that the denial may- to some small extent- be overcome by recognition of the other reasons for it. As Bigfoot enthusiasts, what do we have but hope? ;)

Flashman: well said, sir. Well said.

Edited by Badger Parade

Flashman! That was an excellent answer, well stated and very much on track with my own thoughts.

The main neuron fired at that portion of my brain was Bill Munn's work on the P-G film.

There isn't an issue of denial there is an issue of lack of proof.  When a person refuses to accept the possible existence of bigfoot it is mostly because the proof positive has never been found.  .

Yet a huge percentage of folks believe in an afterlife and ghosts, but there is no proof. I don't think the general population would site science as their first reason for denial.

SSR Team

There isn't an issue of denial....

Lol, see what I mean ?

• Upvote 4