Encounters That Go Unreported

MNskeptic

Interesting Bobby. I always hoped the recent upsurge in BF interest may help.

I can recall many of our own BFF members recant their own experiences but admit they have never formally logged the incident with any organization.

I can say, that almost nothing gets reported. Dealing with a few BF people, and a grapevine, there is a flood of info that never sees the light of day. And what is a report about? Wood-knocking, screams, class B stuff is not reported because nothing is seen. BFRO probably cherry-picks also, as it is a commercial site. Ah, the $$ came up again. Not that that matters, eh?

Also got some good reports on hoaxers. Know where I can talk about that?

Edited by Wag

I grew up in Western Oregon and lived there for about 40 years.  Almost everyone I knew, that spent a lot of time outdoors in the woods, (loggers, hunters, construction, wildfire fighters, etc) had some kind of encounter.  Most would certainly be Class B, but that's still a lot of encounters that never made any kind of database.

17x7

I've often wondered where the Canadian reports are -- the most recent Canadian sightings on the BFRO seem to be two added last year, one from AB and one from BC. Does the BFRO not have as many Canadian contacts to follow up reports there? Is there another site where these tend to go?

Nipissing, there are several answers to your question, I think. I'm not aware of any BFRO contacts in BC, so locals find several BC based sites to file reports with; Sasquatch British Columbia, Sasquatchsighting.ca, BCSCC.ca, Thomassteenburg.com, and possibly Dr. John Bindernagel (if the sighter knows of his connection to the subject).

The other things to remember is that our population is only 10% of the US, so there are vastly fewer people having sightings to report, and Canadians tend to be less outgoing than our southern neighbours, at least in reporting "oddities".

We are getting a visit from the FB crew here in BC in the next few weeks, so it will be interesting to see what interest that stirs up.

• 2 weeks later...

The BFRO does have a couple of members here in BC 

However I don't think that there is a lot of people interested in reporting here

I can think of numerous times that I have been with Thomas and someone sees his research vehicle and stops to tell him their story 

Of the top of my head none of them seemed to considered this a life altering event

They all seemed to have just gone on with life, and when they saw Thomas, it seemed to be

"hey you might be interested in hearing what happened to me" then they go on their way 

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Yep, the BFRO database would reflect that too Mag.

Small % of reports from BC given what's going on up there and the habitat etc.

Another important consideration would be the other factors that relate to Bigfoot sightings. In short, in order to see a Bigfoot, you must be in their habitat.

Therefore, people that live in rural areas, have a greater chance of seeing one, vs people that live in urban areas. You'd also have to consider recreational activities like hunting, camping, hiking, etc.

To get an accurate number, you'd have to poll people that are commonly in BF habitat. Otherwise, the numbers would be skewed.

Another interesting question would be; even though you've not seen one, do you know somebody that has?

Edited by Cisco

Does it seem that the overwhelming majority of sighting reports come from those engaged in activities other than such as in Finding Bigfoot?

Edited by Yuchi1
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team

Oh massively Yuchi, the overwhelming majority too yeah.

I'm pretty sure but would have to check, you're more likely to be not "Bigfooting" and see more than one creature than you are to be "Bigfooting" and see one.

And that's based on 3k plus reports we have in the SSR now.

Edit : Yeah there we go.

Out of 1,257 Class A's in the database, 12 are from people "Bigfooting" and 76 are of "multiple creatures".

Edited by BobbyO

Admin

One percent!  that's actually pretty good if you consider that there's no way 1% of the population is "Bigfooting"...

On another note

Last year a guy on a local hunting forum detailed his sighting

While most posters were polite a few venomously attacked him

He regretted mentioning his sighting

I sent all the information to Thomas

Luckily Bill Miller figured out where the guy lived and was able to talk to him

The guy deeply regretted ever reporting it online

Guest possessed

It took me about 3 years to report my first experience. I only reported the first one after having a second encounter.

I'm not really sure why I waited so long.

Does it seem that the overwhelming majority of sighting reports come from those engaged in activities other than such as in Finding Bigfoot?

exactly..... which if you think about it, if you want to find it, don't be so obvious about looking for it.

just go out, enjoy your own thing for "normal activity" hunt, fish, hike, camp etc and the rest should take care of its self......if  it is around, that is.

I suspect FB is more a lesson on how not to or MM and crew would've blown the lid off this long ago....... imo..

.. and my opinion with  a couple $ might get you a coffee some where. :)

• Upvote 1