What About The Bones?

BigTreeWalker

Thanks Diana. I know we have been in disagreement previously. That comes from the fact that I am very critical about what constitutes good evidence. I try to look at it from all angles with as much information I can gather before coming to any conclusions.

Guest diana swampbooger

Thanks Diana. I know we have been in disagreement previously. That comes from the fact that I am very critical about what constitutes good evidence. I try to look at it from all angles with as much information I can gather before coming to any conclusions.

We did? Apologies.

I'm intensely interested in your research in the PNW. Hope many more down here in the south do the same.

We have a long history of monkey farms down here with escapees of bacteria, 'monkeys' & shenanigans.

It occurs to me that the bone piles may attract a variety of small scavengers that bigfoot can also eat.

One reason, other than habit, for routinely using the same location to consume prey.

I agree JDL, but is it possible large bone piles act as a powerful repellant to other animals too? If Sasquatch have a scent detectable to humans is it also possible smaller scavengers can also detect an odor they associate with danger?

Animals of all sorts seem to be repelled by the scent of their own species' death.  Sharks, will flee from dead shark scent, humans can't stand decomposing humans, etc.  it seems to be a hard-wired instinct.  I don't think that small scavengers would tend to be repelled, though, by the remains of other species.  They would have to overcome that to have developed the survival strategy of scavenging to begin with.

But larger animals are smart enough to recognize an apex predator's special place and will likely avoid it, I would think. 

A place like that would certainly give me the willies and the urge not to be there.

^^^

Good reply, good point thanks.  I’m thinking of instinctive reactions that cattle and hogs seem to sense at slaughterhouses while wild animals outdoors will partake of carcasses partially consumed by other predators almost universally judging by the video I’ve seen.

Here's the link to our research. We chose to do it this way to make the information available sooner and to all. We will also be working on the peer review issue. But we feel that all of you need access to this information.

http://1drv.ms/1BnR9hm

Moderators, please feel free to post this elsewhere if you so desire.

I am currently away from any WiFi communication 'til about June 20th. I'll be back in touch then.

Gerald

• 4 months later...

Bump.

This thread contains my original work and covers our findings about the impressions in the bones. The photos and discussion about the impressions are in the first few pages of this thread.

I will be continuing my analysis research in the research section and be adding further comparisons as I have the time. However, that means a premium membership is required to continue following. Which I would urge everyone to get. Not just to follow this but also the other research that is being done and to gain access to the SSR database.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

This is such an interesting thread and I'm sorry it has stalled.

BigTreeWalker, I was particularly intrigued by the noted damage to the nasal region on elk and deer skulls. The most obvious notion is that the heavy-handed BF is suffocating its prey once it has it in its grasp. I'd imagine something like a steer roper's takedown technique with one arm around its neck while the other hand covers the animal's muzzle.

But a big animal like an elk could do some damage of its own with its thrashings to get away. So it occurs to me that another "kill" technique is to simply swat the targeted animal on the nose, temporarily immobilizing it and perhaps sending it into shock, while also initiating a massive blood trail. Anyone who has ever been punched in the nose knows what I mean by immobilized--the shock to one's system is immediate and hard to overcome.

If the damage from the bone-crushing swat is severe enough, I wonder if the blood flow might be such that it causes an animal to suffocate from blood entering its lungs?

Anyway, just some speculation on my end. But we've heard how quickly these animals move on a bluff charge, veering away at the last second. Might this be the kind of maneuver a BF might make on an elk or deer herd, swatting an unfortunate one as it escapes, only to find it later, in shock and bleeding out?

Until their hunting behavior is witnessed it will remain speculation. But I do remember reading about a Park Ranger (as I recall) who was floored to see a BF hanging in the tree line, while a deer with a broken hind leg stood immobilized and in shock nearby. How did the BF first catch the deer to break its leg? Perhaps a nose swat first?

Thanks for the work you are doing. Most interesting!

GK

Thanks GK, yes it is speculation but I think it is in the right direction. The areas where these kills were found would be excellent ambush points for any predator. The trees weren't very old so the branches grow right to the ground. Meaning easy concealment. Even a heavy fist blow to the nose could have done the damage we found. The second elk kill looked more like a blow to the center of the back, since the spine was in two pieces. Also very incapacitating.

Speaking from personal experience. I have had elk walk within ten feet of me completely unaware of my location. I could have killed them with a spear had I so chosen. Something with speed and massive strength could dispatch them fairly quickly.

Although I may mention things about our research here and there in other threads, there is continuing information in the research section. But that requires a premium membership.

I don't think they catch and suffocate prey the way a big cat does.  I think they ambush, deliver a crippling blow, then catch up and dispatch with a second blow.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

According to NA legends they can suffocate by bear hugs and ( from researcher report ) by pressing down with their hand on the chest of a sleeping or mesmerized person.

Unlikely to be a big game hunter if 8 million years of hominid evolutionary archaeology and behavior of apes and chimps  is any guide.

The only hominid that hunts big game. is us, and that arose very recently with the advent of projectile and spear technology. 

Hominids are primarily scavengers in relation to large animals, and scavenge the kills of others. (cleverer, as well).

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna